New to chameleons, planned for a boy but I think I have a girl

mojojojo

Hi everyone. I just brought home my first chameleon today she is a veiled chameleon baby - about 4-5 inches long from nose to tail. I am a bit nervous about having a female because all of the research I have done has been centered around having a male. I am looking for any advice about egg laying and I know that since she is so young she likely won't lay for a few months. I currently don't see any spurs on her hind feet and I'm not sure if that would change if it is a young chameleon or not. When I search on the forum I see a lot of horror stories and just bad and complicated things come up and I recognize that this is because the keepers are seeking help. I guess I would just like some tips and tricks on how to be successful with a female veiled chameleon with egg laying. I'm very nervous about it as of right now since what I've found on this site has been not great stuff so far.

How do I prevent her from getting egg bound?
How long does it take for her to lay eggs after being able to feel the eggs on her sides for the first time?
How should I monitor her while she lays her eggs since she needs complete privacy?
Any ways to give her good privacy since her enclosure is in my room in my apartment?
What about UVB and heat when she lays the eggs?

Thanks!

There isnt a need to worry too much about her getting egg bound if your husbandry is correct. Her supplements, lighting, and temperatures all need to be right.
I dont really have an estimate on times, maybe @kinyonga can help more.
For privacy you can cover the bottom 2/3 or so of her enclosure, but make sure to leave the top open for airflow.
Leave her lights and temps the same as you have them IMO dont change your routine.
It isnt scary to have a girl, just dont be afraid to ask questions. That is how we learn.☺

Tou said..."How do I prevent her from getting egg bound?".. @AmandaS has aalready answered this one.

You asked..."How long does it take for her to lay eggs after being able to feel the eggs on her sides for the first time?"...there is no definite time. It takes them about 30 days to produce eggs after they are no longer receptive...and that's hard to determine.

You asked..."How should I monitor her while she lays her eggs since she needs complete privacy?"....some people set up remote cameras but you can just have a tiny hole in whatever you wrap the cage in and peek through that somehencant see you. Basically the only time you have to worry about her seeing you is she she's digging and laying. If she's up in the branches it's usually ok.

You said..."Any ways to give her good privacy since her enclosure is in my room in my apartment?
What about UVB and heat when she lays the eggs?"... @AmandaS answered tries too!

The site @Gingero gave you the link to tells you what you need to know as well!

Back
Top Bottom