Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!

Okay so hear me out, im about to order a mistking set. Problem is i have glass floor in my enclosure, which makes drainage a problem but I was thinking of makin a false floor maybe 10-15cm up using a pvc board and drill loads of tiny holes into it, and then fill The space beneath it with those handened clay pebbles that absorb liquid, would this work?
First, why do you have a glass floor—are you using an upturned aquarium?
Second, tiny holes may not drain due to surface tension, capillarity, etc.
Third, what happens when the clay balls reach saturation?

With chameleon enclosures, you basically have 2 choices:
  1. Mop up or wet-vac daily, or
  2. Provide proper drainage.
What's the size of your enclosure? Another option is instead of a false floor, install a drain pan the size of the entire bottom, drain the water out the front (and into a bucket below), and tilt the pan slightly forward (½" at the back) to provide pitch.

There are so many creative ways to create drainage systems for indoor cages to keep up with mistings and drippers. Post pictures and descriptions of what works for you here to share ideas!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 215
There is a company in the UK that make enclosures with their own trays only 1 I have come across sp far but don't know if they would ship to USA check them out muji chameleons

16183298438203983286529459164853.jpg

Chamfam1987

1618331712344.png

It'd be a good idea to get those enclosures up off the floor.
One of the most effective ways to give security to a chameleon is to arrange it so they can perch high up. If you are able to set their cage on a platform where their perch is at or, better, above eye level of the humans walking around, your chameleon will feel much more secure. Even with a perfect cage interior, resting the cage on the floor is the quickest way to have a nervous chameleon.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

N wen I open cages those lizards come come out they love being handled they don’t scare easily except my new guy of two weeks I get the up high cage for the security feel but I have also lil to no traffic besides myself at cages

I purchased a pedestal sink cabinet from home depot to use as a stand and cut an 18 1/2" wide section out of the top, then braced two 1x2's across to hold the cage. I then replaced the acrylic bottom with two layers of fluorescent light diffusing grid. Directly below the cage is a cat litter box to catch water, urate, bugs, etc. It cams out pretty nice, actually!
jysege2a.jpg

ute9u7e3.jpg

ahy7a8ep.jpg
Where did you find the light diffusing grid?

My DS hybrid cage is almost ready to ship and I set up my own drainage tray. I have a 3/4" pvc pipe for runoff to a bucket below. I put some rubber on the bricks to protect the aluminum and added lava rocks. I plan to use the solid floor that comes with the cage and have the ability to move the bricks around to support plants as needed.
The table is slightly elevated from the front to cause to water to drain to the rear where the plumbing is. I'm open to any and all critiques and suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• Drainage 1.jpg
    Drainage 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Drainage 2.jpg
    Drainage 2.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom