Feeding - only put in cage before we put him in
Supplements - only slightly ducted w calcium no d3
Watering - timed mister once every 3 hrs 30 seconds and little dripper
Fecal Description - None
Previous history - just was shipped to us healthy but arrived black

Cage Info: ultimate set up plus extras
Cage Type - Screen
Lighting - zoomed 60 watt blue daylight and retisun 5.0
Temperature - 95 at the top of the screen 80 at the first branches Nights in low 70s
Humidity - 70-80 percent
Plants - Fake ivy type and real pottos and umbrella
Placement - on Top of stand reaches 5 ft, on back in closed screened/close lania only traffic is on other side of room to let dogs outside they go thru porch to get outside . They could care less and don't even look its way
Location - Florida south of Tampa , north of Sarasota gulf coast

Current Problem - after arrival the animal was black but moving, he would pace - one step turn one step turn. His eyes were closed most of the time. Within hours checked on him, same condition, I'm thinking stress from being shipped, then checked again and he was dead, body was limp, tongue particialy sticking out and was still black. Later the body turned light in color before we buried it

I sent a pic to the breeder

Pictures are helpful

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther, male 2 1/2 months old, less than 8 hours
Handling - Had crickets in cage 1/4 inch gut loaded
Feeding - only put in cage before we put him in
Supplements - only slightly ducted w calcium no d3
Watering - timed mister once every 3 hrs 30 seconds and little dripper
Fecal Description - None
Previous history - just was shipped to us healthy but arrived black

Cage Info: ultimate set up plus extras
Cage Type - Screen
Lighting - zoomed 60 watt blue daylight and retisun 5.0
Temperature - 95 at the top of the screen 80 at the first branches Nights in low 70s
Humidity - 70-80 percent
Plants - Fake ivy type and real pottos and umbrella
Placement - on Top of stand reaches 5 ft, on back in closed screened/close lania only traffic is on other side of room to let dogs outside they go thru porch to get outside . They could care less and don't even look its way
Location - Florida south of Tampa , north of Sarasota gulf coast

Current Problem - after arrival the animal was black but moving, he would pace - one step turn one step turn. His eyes were closed most of the time. Within hours checked on him, same condition, I'm thinking stress from being shipped, then checked again and he was dead, body was limp, tongue particialy sticking out and was still black. Later the body turned light in color before we buried it

I sent a pic to the breeder

Pictures are helpful

Just to let you know I got my replacement today " Eddie" and he seems to be doing fine. He's hideing he's climbing he's alert and now that the lights are off ? I'm trying to not bother him to much. I've only added crickets and hand misted the cage so far.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost the first one! Poor thing must've had something going on before you got him, or he just couldn't handle the stress of relocating. Glad to hear Eddie is doing good :)

Sorry I was scrolling back up and noticed your temp and humidity levels. 95 is way too high for them. Should be between 85-90 at his basking spot for a panther. Also my humidity stays between 40-60. I have a blue bar ambilobe who is 1 1/2. I usually mist 4 times a day, once the humidity gets down to 40, I most again. Good luck with your little guy. They are awesome animals :)

I'm so sorry to hear you lost the first one! Poor thing must've had something going on before you got him, or he just couldn't handle the stress of relocating. Glad to hear Eddie is doing good :)

RARELY if not ever will a healthy chameleon die just from the stress of being shipped... The chameleon must of been in bad health before being shipped. This OP being a first time owner may have not been totally sure of what a good eating healthy chameleon looks like.

With all due respect. Proper husbandry is to mimick native range as much as possible. Here is Ambilobe weather at present

e9ydepu2.jpg

Note high in 90s and humidity 88%. Given Madagascar sun, I'm sure basking temps in native range are often 95+. With proper hydration and cooler shaded areas in enclosure, should not be a problem.

Agree probable poor hydration or health problem before shipping. Down here may have had heat stress from being left in container in sun. Temps can exceed 110+ in boxes easily

Oooh, that's way too hot for a baby Panther. 82 basking temp for a baby is what is needed.
You don't want to accidentally cook the little guy. :eek:

Please have a look at this Panther caresheet written by the forum moderators for more care details:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

I am also going to say 82 for a basking temp is to low, I have my babies at 90. I have tried 82 but their appetites are much less. This is also a 2.5 month old, not a hatchling.

Found this also since temp and humidity argument is brought up often

y4udu8a2.jpg

Note in Ambilobe average days per year above 90 are 195.5
Average high temp for whole year 91
Average number "rainy" days only 31.5
Average low temp 70

Just sayin

I don't believe the basking temp had anything to do with the chameleons death. I have purchased two chameleons from Kammerflage Kreations and they bask their little ones in the 90's. They have raised thousands of babies over the years.

I don't believe the basking temp had anything to do with the chameleons death. I have purchased two chameleons from Kammerflage Kreations and they bask their little ones in the 90's. They have raised thousands of babies over the years.

I agree. The 95 is directly 4 inches under where the light is on the screen Further away it drops to 80s plus I have plenty of cover/plants. Also this is a small cage for juveniles. The cage is on the lania faceing the north so it doesn't get direct sun and the anoles are constantly getting in that porch. I also have orchids blooming in that same room.
I have the basking light on a separate timer, I know eventually it will need to be on for early AM just because of our hot weather. I'm thinking our (Florida) weather in its self is naturally conducive for Chameleleons and with a little help their habitat is easily obtained. Of course winter is a different story and when that time comes I'll be useing our garage that faces south.
I just wanted to add ; the chameleon that died never left the branch that he climbed on from his carton and it was mid way in the cage, not anywhere near the top or where the basking light would be

Last edited:
I live in Florida as well. I was just offering advice based on research and people I've talked to who have had chams their whole lives...sometimes they don't realize how hot they are getting and especially with a young one they will get nasty thermal burns from the light. It's totally up to you what you do, I'm by no means an expert, just trying to offer friendly advice :)

I live in Florida as well. I was just offering advice based on research and people I've talked to who have had chams their whole lives...sometimes they don't realize how hot they are getting and especially with a young one they will get nasty thermal burns from the light. It's totally up to you what you do, I'm by no means an expert, just trying to offer friendly advice :)

Understandable. My light is raised 4 inches above the screen because of the heat
During my experimenting; before I got my Cham, on the screen temps were up to 110 :eek: raised brought it down to 95 and with branches placed below several inches into the 80s I can only hope he doesn't hang upside down on the screen directly under.
I've ordered a gun that should be here the 22nd from amazon. The elcheapo wire gauge varies wildly
My breeder has said that I don't need a basking light at our current temps.

Oooh, that's way too hot for a baby Panther. 82 basking temp for a baby is what is needed.
You don't want to accidentally cook the little guy. :eek:

Please have a look at this Panther caresheet written by the forum moderators for more care details:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

I agree with lower temps. After spending a week in Madagascar and observing the panthers each and everyday they were ALWAYS in the cool shade. Never once did we see one basking in the direct sun. We were on or near the ocean and there was a cool breeze at all times. I believe all babies should be kept in the very low 80's and the adult panthers in the 86 to 87 range. Your baby could have been sick to start with or just stressed from shipping and then passed from the heat. Either way I am very sorry for your loss.

My room temp is in the 80s this time of year. My breeder had said I don't need a basking light with it being summer temps.
I can see the confusion as I reread my posts. When/ if I have the light on those are my temps now. If I used my basking light I would have to move him inside with the AC
My new guy " Eddie" seems to be adjusting fine from his trip.
I'm sure I'll get the heat lights figuired out before the cooler weather
Thanks everyone for the advise

Back
Top Bottom