Dozens of chameleons smuggled through airport in socks lay eggs in new home...2021....

I would think it depends on the how good the care taker is at keeping these special chameleons. So far so good. Sounds like their thriving.

@DonKeesh said...
"This might be a hot take but I don't think zoos are equipped to provide the best chameleon care. Our zoo can't even keep them alive"...
The solution can be to show the zoo how to keep chameleons alive. 😉

It may just be an anomaly but the reptile house at my zoo has always been in pretty bad shape. They currently have an exhibit with multiple green tree boas housed with multiple species of dart frog (not a great idea). Looks good though I guess.

The article says they have already hatched babies from many of the gravid smuggled females in this story. In that regards the Zoo is doing well actually.

I think that were more than a couple follow up article to this one. The chameleons did survive in the Austrain Zoo. The chameleons seemed to have survived till March when Tanzania demanded their return. Tanzania applied for CITES export permits for all the smuggled chameleons to be exported back to Tanzania.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/africa/2021-03/06/c_139790060.htm

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Pardon me. The original article Kinyonga posted is from July. The one I posted is from March. The original Tanzania smuggled articles are from January. Sounds as though the Zoo is doing well with hatching babies and the adults are alive long enough for a request to be shipped back to Tanzania.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom