Dowel question.

I can't say for sure but I know untreated dowels are safe to use. I know some people have used kid safe furniture paints on the interior of their cages.

I can't say for sure but I know untreated dowels are safe to use. I know some people have used kid safe furniture paints on the interior of their cages.
I was thinking of coating them with some colors like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YQEXEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then the over coat to make sure that it is safe. I will have at least 2 weeks to cure once it is painted I have not got the Cham and still trying to get the cage in the final placement.

That will look nice but I can't verify the safety. If you look thru old treads you might find a coating others have used successfully but you will always have to be vigilant to any chipping or peeling of the finishes.
I get a similar look by using branches cut from live trees and disinfecting and baking them. I think that having varying sizes of branch prevents them from getting sores on their feet from standing with the same weight distribution constantly. Just food for thought. Good luck with your project.

I would recommend you not use dowels as they are harder for the chameleons to grip, this affects them more as their weight increases. Natural branches are a better choice.

CHEERS!

Nick

T I think that having varying sizes of branch prevents them from getting sores on their feet from standing with the same weight distribution constantly. Just food for thought. Good luck with your project.

The different sized branches actually helps them to vary the amount that they grip and keeps them from getting lazy. My panther is a 4 year old rescue from a hoarder's house, and we believe he was kept in a cage with thick branches. As a result, when I got him my vet called him "lazy", because his grip was loose - when she turned him over he proved he could grip harder, but didn't have to work that hard normally, so he got lazy. I changed up his cage and put thinner branches in there (prior to that I had double-wrapped/braided bio vines together to be sturdier for an older rescue chameleon), and on his next vet visit she confirmed he was doing better with his grip.

As for the dowel question, I have a bird ladder made of dowels in the bottom of my cage in case my guy gets down there and can't get back up.

so what I am going to use is a glass terrarium. Please i know I tested a screen cage and i could not keep the temps and humidity right.

But I am going to use the dowels on the back and 2 sides to more hold the live vines and branches for sure now.

Most just clean and rinse them thoroughly with soapy water and/or a 1:20 bleach solution and again rinse thoroughly. Make sure there is no bleach odor left. Then bake them in the oven at over 250 for 20-30 minutes. The idea is to disinfect and destroy any wild parasite eggs using the heat.

Back
Top Bottom