Sticks/wood for enclosure

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have Max's (juvenile Veiled Chameleon) new enclosure on the way. I am just wondering if there are any specific 'reptile/aquarium' woods or specific brands to stay away from. I want to load this enclosure up with sticks and plants as much as I possibly can, so I want to know if there is anything to avoid.

I already have some of Flukers bendy vines, which I plan on getting more of. But I'd like some more natural, hard wood for her to walk around on/be around to try to provide her as natural of a setup as possible. Right now I am looking at grapevine and ghostwood branches mostly, but I noticed some driftwood, and aquarium pieces that might work well if it's not harmful. Specifically things like these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM63Y2T...O8KDOBRD&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B27RGL...O8KDOBRD&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thank you!

avoid grapevine it will mold because it can not handle the humidity.
I would not personally buy either of the wood items in the links you provided. They will not have the length or grip size you need.

You want to find branches that are not Pine, Cedar, or Eucalyptus. Do you have any trees in your yard? Birch and oak are great. You can cut branches right from the trees or collect fallen branches.

If that is not an option try calling a local tree trimming business. Most are totally willing to let you come pick up branches and most will be able to ID the trees they came from.

I would not personally buy either of the wood items in the links you provided. They will not have the length or grip size you need.

You want to find branches that are not Pine, Cedar, or Eucalyptus. Do you have any trees in your yard? Birch and oak are great. You can cut branches right from the trees or collect fallen branches.

If that is not an option try calling a local tree trimming business. Most are totally willing to let you come pick up branches and most will be able to ID the trees they came from.
Thank you! I'll avoid those like the plague. I have a lot of trees at my house. I'll look around. I actually work on a tree farm......but we spray our trees to sell them here so I can't even use what I have here :( But the trees around my house should be fine. I will just have to walk around and see what I can find

Thank you! I'll avoid those like the plague. I have a lot of trees at my house. I'll look around. I actually work on a tree farm......but we spray our trees to sell them here so I can't even use what I have here :( But the trees around my house should be fine. I will just have to walk around and see what I can find
My neighbor cut back his tree. I got awesome branches that way and they were thrilled to have me haul them away. My one piece of advice is get more than you think you will need. :)

Leave the bark on the branches, stripping them down makes it harder for them to hold up to all the moisture. I normally will just take one of those plastic kitchen scrub brushes to the branches and wash them off well then let them dry back out.

Place the real branches first then tie in the flukers vines. This will make it easier if you need to remove the fake vines as they break down.

Here are some of the cages I have done and how I tie stuff in. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

My neighbor cut back his tree. I got awesome branches that way and they were thrilled to have me haul them away. My one piece of advice is get more than you think you will need. :)

Leave the bark on the branches, stripping them down makes it harder for them to hold up to all the moisture. I normally will just take one of those plastic kitchen scrub brushes to the branches and wash them off well then let them dry back out.

Place the real branches first then tie in the flukers vines. This will make it easier if you need to remove the fake vines as they break down.

Here are some of the cages I have done and how I tie stuff in. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/
Awesome! The pics help a lot. Thank you! Should I use kitchen soap? Or water only?

Mine were pretty dirty. I lived on the coast of far Northern Cali at the time. So I did use dawn soap and hot water to scrub the surfaces. Then I rinsed them really well and laid them on a tarp in my yard to bake in the sun.
Perfect that's easy enough. I'm going to take my kid for a walk and look for some. Hopefully tomorrow or sunday :) Thanks again!

is it obvious which fallen branches are pine cedar and eucalyptus?? I grabbed a bunch of branches because I plan on giving my girl real ones soon but they’re from a park near my house and I can assume they’re oak cause I didn’t see any cedar but i’m not sure about the other two, don’t wanna accidentally give bad ones

is it obvious which fallen branches are pine cedar and eucalyptus?? I grabbed a bunch of branches because I plan on giving my girl real ones soon but they’re from a park near my house and I can assume they’re oak cause I didn’t see any cedar but i’m not sure about the other two, don’t wanna accidentally give bad ones
You just have to look at the live trees... Pine is really obvious looking at the tree. Cedar has the cedar scent to it and is pretty strong. Eucalyptus trees are fairly rare but also have a very strong scent.

You just have to look at the live trees... Pine is really obvious looking at the tree. Cedar has the cedar scent to it and is pretty strong. Eucalyptus trees are fairly rare but also have a very strong scent.
gotcha okay that’s what I figured. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom