Dog and a Chameleon

rmhawk

I'm not into jacking other peoples threads so i have a quote from another thread that i would like to ask more about. Here is an answer posted by DODOLAH in a seperate thread:

Yes, your chameleon most likely will b stressed from seeing sugar glider running around. They view anything moving that is larger than them as predator.

Here is my question: I have my cham cage setup in a dining room, that is attached to the kitchen and living room. My TV and computer and everything is in the living room, which is where i spend most of my time, just me and my dog. My dog follows me everywhere so he doesnt go into that dining room ever, but he does have to quickly walk through a small portion of it to get into the kitchen to get to his food and water. Its a little dog (Silky Terrier). Also, while i am at work who knows where the dog walks around the apartment. I assume he spends most of his time on the couch, but i cant confirm this cause, well im not there. Will this be stressing out my cham seeing the dog? The top of the cage is well over 6', and my dog only stands maybe 10" and his shoulders. I could move the cage into my bedroom, but im a person who has to have the TV on at night, plus my dog sleeps in my room at night. Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I think it would be ok. Try it in the dinning room for awhile and if in a few weeks if your cham is stress then move the cage.

The bold quote and and my whole name in caps make me nervous :D
Essentially, your chameleon might get used to your dog (provided that your dog ignored him and not try to knock his cage or anything like that).

From my experience, 2 of my chameleons get pissed when they see my dog passing around. Elevating the cage so the top portion of it is above your eye level helps tremendously in calming your chameleon. He will feel more secure if the "predator" is out of reach.

Another way is to provide lots of coverage so he can hide himself.

of course, the best way is to dedicate one room for him where traffic is kept to minimal.

The bold quote and and my whole name in caps make me nervous :D
Essentially, your chameleon might get used to your dog (provided that your dog ignored him and not try to knock his cage or anything like that).

From my experience, 2 of my chameleons get pissed when they see my dog passing around. Elevating the cage so the top portion of it is above your eye level helps tremendously in calming your chameleon. He will feel more secure if the "predator" is out of reach.

Another way is to provide lots of coverage so he can hide himself.

of course, the best way is to dedicate one room for him where traffic is kept to minimal.

Sorry i just wanted to make sure the quote stuck out, and of course i had to give credit to the author. My think my dog could absolutely care less about the cham. I have had reptiles in the past with this same dog and he has never even shown an interest in them. He has never bothered the cages or even really gone around them unless he had to in order for him to reach a destination. As long as his food and water bowl are full at all times, and i mean full at all times, he is fine. If either his food or water gets below half way he lets me know, and doesnt give up until i fill it :p

Just be aware of your chameleon well being. Some will never tolerate dogs at all (like my 2 chams).. if that is the case, then restrict your dog from entering your chameleon personal space.

OK I know everyone says put your cham in low traffic area Ive had mine in the living room for 5 weeks now. I have 2 dogs 2 cats witch do not pay any attention to the cage which is in the corner of the living room. She shows no signs of stress. She has been eating drinking fine and until I see otherwise will keep her there. She is a viewing animal and its a great place to look at her:D.. oh and she doesn't mind the Tv sound not that I have it that loud this might be of interest to you https://www.chameleonforums.com/do-chameleons-hear-1823/

that's my 2 cents;)

The top of my cages is about 7 ft high. My dog is in the room most of the day but he's a lazy fat ass n mostly sleeps. Has no interest in chams. Don't think it stresses them out. Think he prob would pee on the plants if it was lower.

My Mellers cages are on the floor. They are 4 feet tall. They are also directly behind me here at the computer. My Great Dane walks around the cages all of the time. He doesn't get too interested in the chameleons. The Mellers do not stress about the dog, but if my daughter is in the room that puff and gape and get pissed! :) It's true!
Honestly, I have 2 dogs and the chameleons have never been visibly bothered by them.

I have a shelty and his kennel is in the same room as the chams. The dog tries to attack any small animals that move, so I have the cham cages at least four feet off the ground and the dog never notices the chams. The chams, however, always notice the dog. My male ambilobe doesn't get bothered by the and carries on like usual while the dog is in the room. I have to keep the females cage covered most of the time though as she appears stressed by seeing any person or animal.

The point: I just think it is up to the individual cham... I guage the chams comfort level by how readily they eat-drink in the presence of the dog and also if they still move their eyes about the room or if they remain completely focused on the dog when it is in the room.

As with anything in nature, there are always the exceptions. So some just will always be stressed with other animal movement in the room, including humans. I've read of keepers having issues with a hose looking like a snake. But for my guys I don't shelter them. They are in a moderate traffic room. I sit here and am in an out all day. The dogs (3) and cat all come through this room constantly. None of my chams get stressed by this.

I do believe it's about them being comfortable with their surroundings. Just like they get acclimated to a new cage, they get acclimated to activities in their room. If I bring someone new into the room. The chams are still pretty chill, but if that person approaches a cage. Then I notice them stressing. Even then, after a few visits from this person, they begin to recognize that person and loose the stress reaction.

I've had the same experience with other shy animals like Discus. If you shelter them they will always be spooked when something new is in the room.

But like I said before, there are always exceptions. Just keep an eye on your cham and if after a couple of weeks he hasn't settled in. Then start to make changes to see if it's something in his environment.

WoW this was something i was not expecting. My dog has no interest in the cham which is a good thing. However, he is absolutely fascinated by the crickets and will not leave them alone. Several times today i found him just staring at the cricket keeper. So much that i had to move the crickets from the chams room into the living room. I didnt want the dog stressing the cham by just sitting in the room staring up at the crickets. So now they are in the living room and will not leave them alone. It's quite funny actually.

Attachments

• IMG_7388.JPG
    IMG_7388.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 126
Back
Top Bottom