Does this look like MBD?

ReqRep

This is not my animal! Someone on Craigslist is trying to sell this dude, and I'm trying to figure out if he has MBD or not. The casque looks incredibly bent, and the way his elbows fold seems a bit off to me. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I figured I'd post the pictures here to see what people think. I asked the seller for some more pictures, especially of the casque, but he stopped responding afterwards.

Attachments

• 00I0I_2aISpQB1oBn_1200x900.jpg
    00I0I_2aISpQB1oBn_1200x900.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 167
  • a73f8545d13c694b91a89bc5fbc7c8457db23681b86b263a61448168fe262373.jpg
    a73f8545d13c694b91a89bc5fbc7c8457db23681b86b263a61448168fe262373.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 141
I would say definitely in the early stages if not totally MDB. His legs are pretty skinny. I'm sure someone with more experience would be able to see more, but other than the skinny legs and bent casque, he doesn't look in too bad of shape? Looks like he might have been burned on his face?

I would say definitely in the early stages if not totally MDB. His legs are pretty skinny. I'm sure someone with more experience would be able to see more, but other than the skinny legs and bent casque, he doesn't look in too bad of shape? Looks like he might have been burned on his face?

I noticed the face as well, but chalked it up to being stressed. Can't see much of the enclosure either, but from what I can see it looks pretty barren and small. I'm trying to get some more info, but the owner is just refusing to talk to me now. I was gonna look into rescuing him, but he's asking $200 firm. I was going to mention the signs of MBD and necessary vet costs but wanted to get a few second opinions first.

If you rescued him... I bet you'd have him looking amazing and back to his gorgeous self in no time... (assuming there isn't anything really amiss here). I thought about rescuing a male veiled several months ago. I asked the guy to fill out as much info as he could on this forums "How to ask for help" form and he about flipped his lid. Called me some pretty spectacular names. Some times people just can't be helped. I feel sorry for their pets, though.

Yeah, honestly I think he stopped responding because he knows something is wrong. Unfortunately there's a lot people in my area that have Chameleons or other reptiles and know literally nothing about them. Craigslist is plagued with people either reselling animals, or trying to get rid of sick/dying animals that they simply don't want to care for anymore. I picked up a three year old Bearded Dragon a few weeks ago. She was being kept in a 20 gallon tank with literally nothing in it, no substrate at all, nothing to climb or bask on. She didn't have a heat light, or a UVB light. She was fed exclusively worms most of her life and the owners had no idea what I was talking about when asked about supplementation. She was never handled because they thought she was "aggressive." She had what I can only assume was a year or more of stuck shed, and lost a toe because of it. Honest to god I don't know how the animal was still alive, let alone didn't have MBD. I've had her just under a month and she's turned into an absolute doll. I got all her stuck shed off, and she shed again quite quickly after getting some proper lighting. She seems stronger and has been surprisingly active. For the past week or so she's actively come to me to be held and coddled. It just saddens me because it's really not that much work to give these animals a good life. Sure a Chameleon needs more than a Bearded Dragon, but still. If I had the space and funds I'd rescue every animal around me. Alas that's just not possible.

Well, I sent him another message in regards to the MBD. He pretty much called me an idiot and told me that he works at an exotic vet and that the animal is in perfect health. This is after earlier asking me what a casque was when I asked for pictures.

I have had exact replies like this when I said housing hamsters together wasn't a good idea once they started showing aggression and gave the person plenty of ways to cheaply seperate them.... guess I don't know anything XD

Well, I sent him another message in regards to the MBD. He pretty much called me an idiot and told me that he works at an exotic vet and that the animal is in perfect health. This is after earlier asking me what a casque was when I asked for pictures.
I have seen animals in much worse condition, and have seen healthy veileds with oddly shaped casques many times. He's not perfect, but if there is MBD going on it would be treatable. He looks a bit thin, but that's easy to fix. I would have wanted to know about his age and husbandry to get a better idea of health (if he was 3-4 years old he might be showing his age for example). However, his response and rudeness are red flags that he either knows the cham has problems or that he's feeling threatened by your questions. Someone who does actually work for an exotic vet wouldn't be defensive, but would most likely answer your questions without fuss, glad to hear from someone who might be able to give the poor guy a good home. Asking $200 is outrageous.

Last edited:
Yeah, honestly I think he stopped responding because he knows something is wrong. Unfortunately there's a lot people in my area that have Chameleons or other reptiles and know literally nothing about them. Craigslist is plagued with people either reselling animals, or trying to get rid of sick/dying animals that they simply don't want to care for anymore. I picked up a three year old Bearded Dragon a few weeks ago. She was being kept in a 20 gallon tank with literally nothing in it, no substrate at all, nothing to climb or bask on. She didn't have a heat light, or a UVB light. She was fed exclusively worms most of her life and the owners had no idea what I was talking about when asked about supplementation. She was never handled because they thought she was "aggressive." She had what I can only assume was a year or more of stuck shed, and lost a toe because of it. Honest to god I don't know how the animal was still alive, let alone didn't have MBD. I've had her just under a month and she's turned into an absolute doll. I got all her stuck shed off, and she shed again quite quickly after getting some proper lighting. She seems stronger and has been surprisingly active. For the past week or so she's actively come to me to be held and coddled. It just saddens me because it's really not that much work to give these animals a good life. Sure a Chameleon needs more than a Bearded Dragon, but still. If I had the space and funds I'd rescue every animal around me. Alas that's just not possible.
Reminds me of a beardie some idiots brought back to the herp store I happened to be at. They wanted to return her as she "just lay around and wasn't very interesting". Well, the poor thing had no muscle tone and was limp from MBD and malnutrition. She couldn't even raise her head. The store owner was so infuriated he barked at them, grabbed the box and told them to get out of his store or he'd send Animal Control to their house to have them cited for animal cruelty. We syringe fed her some fruit baby food, gave her water, and found that her GI tract was packed with terrarium sand. I ended up taking her home for rehab. She lay in a laundry basket under UV and heat for over a week unable to move, but she slowly got rid of all the sand, started licking baby food and drink from a syringe whenever I offered them. After a couple of weeks she began moving her legs and tail. A month later she was running around the kitchen, feisty, curious, and a sweetheart. So much for being a boring pet. I gave her to a friend who built her a huge open top terrarium on a rolling twin bedframe that could be wheeled outside in summer.

Last edited:
I have seen animals in much worse condition, and have seen healthy veileds with oddly shaped casques many times. He's not perfect, but if there is MBD going on it would be treatable. He looks a bit thin, but that's easy to fix. I would have wanted to know about his age and husbandry to get a better idea of health (if he was 3-4 years old he might be showing his age for example). However, his response and rudeness are red flags that he either knows the cham has problems or that he's feeling threatened by your questions. Someone who does actually work for an exotic vet wouldn't be defensive, but would most likely answer your questions without fuss, glad to hear from someone who might be able to give the poor guy a good home. Asking $200 is outrageous.

Exactly! If I had to find a home for O (after I cried) I would be hoping for a new home from someone who asked a million questions and seemed truly interested.

Back
Top Bottom