Does Sire really matter?

ApolloT

Does it really matter what a panther cham sire look like when it comes to colors?

What is the % of a clutch that actually looks like its sire?

I don't think anyone could give you a percentage. But it helps to a point, especially if you're looking for something in particular. For example, I really liked this sire (the one at the bottom, named Fierce http://chameleons101.com/available-chameleons/) so I wanted a son just like him. I was lucky enough to end up with one that was pretty darn close:

nautilus10months1.jpg

On the other hand, I wanted a Nosy be like this guy: http://www.chameleoncompany.com/files/nosybe_002.jpg

And got this one instead:
cobaltoutside1.jpg

So it's a lot of genetic lottery, like with humans. But if the breeder has been selectively breeding for a certain look by breeding very similar animals then the chances increase.

I also thought about this recently! Like i doubt the whole clutch will come out completely stunning (even from a great looking sire). But getting a drab looking 2-3 month old is like a waiting/hoping game of sorts.

I currently have son's of 2 different "high end" Panther locals. I'm a little on edge to see them start to evolve and to what extent in comparison to their sires.

PS: My wife is Russian and i'm West Indian. I have 2 kids and they look completely different. Whoever would have bought them based on their sire would have been highly dissapointed and thrilled at the same time. lmao

It matters. It's all genetics, I think it also matters what the sire of the dame looked like and I would love to also have pictures of other males from the dames clutch. You will always have variation and you will have ones that look even better then the sire, but it's still all about genetics. It's great when you get a cham from a small breeder where they have pictures of not only the sire but the dame and the dame's sire.

Sire matters

It only matters for some part but ugly sires can have really cool offspring and bright beautiful sires can have ugly offspring

It only matters for some part but ugly sires can have really cool offspring and bright beautiful sires can have ugly offspring

It's because it's all genetics.

Like clarkrw3 said, I like to see the sire of the dam even, just to see the line that I will have. I would buy a Veiled or a Panther if I liked the genetics in one, even if it were more expensive.

LPR08

I have a new little guy.... He is a Sambava- Ambilobe cross. I got him from LLL Reptile. I have no idea who his parents were or what they looked like. Im hoping He turns out to be something really special, but if he doesnt, im still going to give him the best care I possibly can & Im sure he will bring me many years of enjoyment. Especially if he is friendly and likes people. I like em ALL!

I don't think anyone could give you a percentage. But it helps to a point, especially if you're looking for something in particular. For example, I really liked this sire (the one at the bottom, named Fierce http://chameleons101.com/available-chameleons/) so I wanted a son just like him. I was lucky enough to end up with one that was pretty darn close:

nautilus10months1.jpg

On the other hand, I wanted a Nosy be like this guy: http://www.chameleoncompany.com/files/nosybe_002.jpg

And got this one instead:
cobaltoutside1.jpg

So it's a lot of genetic lottery, like with humans. But if the breeder has been selectively breeding for a certain look by breeding very similar animals then the chances increase.

Olimpia-That is one amazing Ambilobe!!!! If you were ever to part with him please let me know first!!!! LOL

Olimpia-That is one amazing Ambilobe!!!! If you were ever to part with him please let me know first!!!! LOL

Thank you so much! He was gorgeous and a friendly chameleon. He passed away mysteriously back in May though, unfortunately.

But I got really lucky, none of the brothers I've seen are as red and blue as mine was. They hay have had a lot more red but also more green. So genetics has the potential to make offspring that look a lot like their parents and others that look nothing like their parents. Even with this risk I still buy a baby only if I like his father (and lineage, if I can have that much info).

Thank you so much! He was gorgeous and a friendly chameleon. He passed away mysteriously back in May though, unfortunately.

But I got really lucky, none of the brothers I've seen are as red and blue as mine was. They hay have had a lot more red but also more green. So genetics has the potential to make offspring that look a lot like their parents and others that look nothing like their parents. Even with this risk I still buy a baby only if I like his father (and lineage, if I can have that much info).

The guy in my avatar was from the fierce line and as you can see he's a looker but doesn't have that barring that yours did. That's Sad :(

You can't produce apples from an orange tree!;)

Even with this risk I still buy a baby only if I like his father (and lineage, if I can have that much info).

I personally will not buy a Cham that i have not seen the parent/s! ESPECIALLY not for the price some are being offered for!

The guy in my avatar was from the fierce line and as you can see he's a looker but doesn't have that barring that yours did. That's Sad :(

This is the 1 we kept from Fierce, eggs hatching now!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 211
Yea right? That's really neat, they look totally reversed, but without the white around the head. Super cool. He's turned out fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom