does my guy look dehydrated

panthercross

i was wondering if he looked ok hes a year old and very dull. Im saving for a mistking but right now i have the crappy habba mister and it goes off 5 times a day for 30 secs and i hand mist 2-3 times a day. Hes a panther cross(nosybee ambilobe) I might have made a few mistakes in the past that i corrected. I was feeding my crickets with store bought gutload and i gave him too much calcium with d3 by accident. I probably gave it to him 3 times a week. Im not sure if i caused any permanent damage. I am currently dusting with calcium without d3 and twice a month with the vits and d3. He isnt a good shot when it comes to eating, His tongue oly shoots like half way. I just started cup feeding(enclosure 2x2x4). I also used a reptiglo 5.0 instead of a reptisun 5.0. I changed everything over to a reptisun 5.0 and i have 2 100 watt zoomed blue bulbs for basking. I have been feeding crickets fresh fruits and veggies now and have 4 different types of feeders. Also does he look like a male or female?

You only need one lamp for basking and 100 watts seems a bit high. What is your basking temp under those lights?

I don't use anything higher that a 65 watt for my basking lamps.

What does his poop look like? Any Yellow? That is a good indication of dehydration

Whoa-Kill both of those 100 watt bulbs-no wonder you are concerned about dehydration! You only need one 60-75 watt bulb in one corner of the cage-which should give you a nice basking spot of around 85-90ish degrees.

If your house is in the 80's that is not cold. He only needs one basking bulb. And 100 watts is too high. I have 40watts in mine now. And my house is at 75 right now. Give him a room temp. shower(indirect mist) for 15 minutes if you are worried about hydration.

You need a temp gradient. Ditch one of those basking lamps. He will bask when he wants to get warm. If he wants too cool down he needs an area to cool off. He doesnt have one with two basking bulbs on top of the cage. Also if you arent using one get a decent digital therm & hygrom combo unit. Can be had at Lowes or HD for 10-12 bux. You need to attach the temp probe under his basking branch to get an Accurate reading. Guess work doesnt cut it there. You need accurate readings. Esp considering your a new owner. He does look a bit dehydrated in that first pic. His eye turret doesnt look fully extended and plump. It looks a bit drawn in to me. I'd try giving him some horns and silks and try giving him a warm not hot shpwer for about 15 mins on his plant under a misting showerhead.

my basking area is 80 degrees i have a digital temp that i check with. The 100 watt doesnt have a branch under it to bask

my house is usually 62-65 degrees

Thats fine. But two bulbs at 100watt each is a chameleon fry. You need to do as Texas panther man says. And get a reading of his basking area. IMO I would use a 40, 60 or 75 watt bulb depending on the temp reading. But never a 100 watt.

Like Texas Ranger said I never use a 100 watt reptile bulb on any cages. I keep a cold house also and the highest I go is 75 watts and thats during the coldest part of winter. I normally use 60 watt bulbs the rest of the yr. And you should place a basking branch about 10-12" under his basking bulb/fixture. That way you get an accurate reading and know what his basking temps are. Its not a heat up the whole cage thing your shooting for. Its heat up a small defined area. The rest of the cage should be cooler as he gets farther from the basking lamp.

That makes sence. Are you somewhere that is cold. Im in Texas so, it doesnt get cold for long. Its burning up out there now.

I still dont think its a good idea to use two 100watt bulbs. Thats 200 watts of heat. And if you set the basking area up right. Then he will know where to go if he gets cold or hot. Just as you grab a blanket or shorts. They know what to do. Just provide what he needs and he will do the rest.

texas panther man i dont know what your talking about i never denied using 2 bulbs i said i use the 100 watts in the winter meaning both bulbs are 100 watts and i change them in the spring and one bulb doesnt have a basking spot under it the other does. all clear chief

texas panther man i dont know what your talking about i never denied using 2 bulbs i said i use the 100 watts in the winter meaning both bulbs are 100 watts and i change them in the spring and one bulb doesnt have a basking spot under it the other does. all clear chief

To answer your question, I can't tell with those pics if he is dehyrdrated or not. You should check and see if his poo is yellow, that's a major indicator. As for two 100 watt bulbs everyone is right that is a bit too much. You should remove them and get a lower wattage. Have you measured the temps right under the basking spot or even right under the light?

Edit: I mean like right close to the light.

Back
Top Bottom