does my guy look dehydrated

The reason for the dull color is that you appear to own a female. @ 1 yr old the male buldge should be much more evident. As to the dehydration.. Yellowing in the urate "Light part of the poop" indicates potential dehydration. The pics don't show the eyes clearly, do they appear a bit sunken in compared to formerly? I agree with the others, two basking lamps is too much, and you should have a branch that allows her to do just that "bask". Loose one light. And add a drip system that lands on a nice leafy area near one of her favorite spots. Also not too much handeling while your make all these changes. - Good Luck

The reason for the dull color is that you appear to own a female. @ 1 yr old the male buldge should be much more evident. As to the dehydration.. Yellowing in the urate "Light part of the poop" indicates potential dehydration. The pics don't show the eyes clearly, do they appear a bit sunken in compared to formerly? I agree with the others, two basking lamps is too much, and you should have a branch that allows her to do just that "bask". Loose one light. And add a drip system that lands on a nice leafy area near one of her favorite spots. Also not too much handeling while your make all these changes. - Good Luck

Ummmm-there is no question at all that it is a male.

sometimes i feel like the left eye is sucken a bit but never sure. I changed it to one basking bulb and its a 60 watt. does anyone else have an opinion on the sex???

Honestly I have used 100 W lamps on tons of chameleons. My room stays around 75F so now I only use 75 W bulbs. Also in a 4ft cage there is going to be a heat gradient. Watch your cham, if he basks a lot at the top then you're good. If he stays in the plants a lot, then its too warm. But he doesn't look dehydrated in the least, his head caps are extremely fat for him to be dehydrated. Personally I don't like the habba thing for 30 seconds at a time because they do not need a constant humidity of 80+ percent. But to answer the question, no he doesn't appear to be dehydrated. A dehydrated cham has thin head caps and a thing tale base.

Chris

This is a male. He doesn't look dehydrated to me. Lots of discussion about the basking temp, but let me add one thing that may help. Depending on what sort of thermometer you are using you may not be getting an accurate reading of the temp right under the light. Most thermometers measure either the temp of their own housing or the air temp. The best way to estimate what temp the CHAM actually gets while sitting under a light is to measure his skin temp. After all, you want him to warm up enough to digest his food but not burn himself. A $30 infrared temp gun is invaluable for this. It measures the surface temp of whatever you point it at...in a few seconds. It does not sit in the warm air constantly or get overheated either. I've used them for years and would never go back to an analog or digital thermometer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom