does my chameleon look healthy?

i think you need to upgrade those lights first, before you get the fogger.
more plants, branches and things to climb on are needed too, you could more than likely find some good sticks and stuff outside, just make sure to clean them
ok thanks! i'll look for more stuff to put in. i do have a question though, why do i need to upgrade lights BEFORE i get a fogger

ok thanks! i'll look for more stuff to put in. i do have a question though, why do i need to upgrade lights BEFORE i get a fogger
Because your chameleon is going to die if you dont.
All of this was explained to you 3 months ago when you first got your cham. You know how when you put a plant in a closet with no sunlight it dies? That's what you're doing to your cham. You shouldn't even be USING a fogger during the day. That's just anothing thing that's going to make your cham sick.
Why come here and ask for advise to make your cham healthy then question everything people are telling you?

How about the fact that you have one bundle of fake plastic leaves and one stick in the enclosure? You can literally forage for stuff in your back yard to give your cham a better home. That has nothing to do with the fact that your parents are irresponsible.
hi thanks for giving me advice! i do have more than one stick and bundle of plastic leaves. she also has several more sticks and a golden phothos that im hoping grows bigger!

hi thanks for giving me advice! i do have more than one stick and bundle of plastic leaves. she also has several more sticks and a golden phothos that im hoping grows bigger!
Look up pictures of other people's enclosures on here and then come back and tell me your enclosure is adequate.
You know that chameleons are arboreal creatures, right? Do you know what that means?

All of this was explained to you 3 months ago when you first got your cham. You know how when you put a plant in a closet with no sunlight it dies? That's what you're doing to your cham. You shouldn't even be USING a fogger during the day. That's just anothing thing that's going to make your cham sick.
Why come here and ask for advise to make your cham healthy then question everything people are telling you?
Agreed. You need to make these changes fast or your poor chameleon will not make it longer

How about the fact that you have one bundle of fake plastic leaves and one stick in the enclosure? You can literally forage for stuff in your back yard to give your cham a better home. That has nothing to do with the fact that your parents are irresponsible.
Have your parents read through some of these comments on your posts to try to convince them. Your husbandry needs alot of work. When dusting the insects with calcium or your suppliments you do not dust 1 insect of afew insects, you dust all the insects you are feeding that day. Id also strongly reccomend getting some sort of tool to measure temperatures in her enclsoure as stated above a happy healthy Veiled chameleon should be green, yours is brown this either means youre temperatures are off or your chameleon is severly unhappy about something.

I understand if your still living at home with your parents and all but this doesn’t justify not giving everything your chameleon needs to live a happy life. Show your parents around on this site if you can. There is a ton of experienced keepers on here that recommend everything everyone is trying to explain for you to get and do. Maybe that will change their minds.

Have your parents read through some of these comments on your posts to try to convince them. Your husbandry needs alot of work. When dusting the insects with calcium or your suppliments you do not dust 1 insect of afew insects, you dust all the insects you are feeding that day. Id also strongly reccomend getting some sort of tool to measure temperatures in her enclsoure as stated above a happy healthy Veiled chameleon should be green, yours is brown this either means youre temperatures are off or your chameleon is severly unhappy about something.
Took the words out of my mouth! Nicely worded tho. Trying not to be an ahole here

ok, i was just wondering because i have a friend whose house i go to often. he also has a veiled cham and uses a fogger for about 15 minutes a day. his seems perfectly healthy, so i didnt know.

I understand if your still living at home with your parents and all but this doesn’t justify not giving everything your chameleon needs to live a happy life. Show your parents around on this site if you can. There is a ton of experienced keepers on here that recommend everything everyone is trying to explain for you to get and do. Maybe that will change their minds.
ok, i'll try. thanks so much

ok, i was just wondering because i have a friend whose house i go to often. he also has a veiled cham and uses a fogger for about 15 minutes a day. his seems perfectly healthy, so i didnt know.
They always seem healthy, until they arent. Chams dont get a runny nose when they are starting to get sick to show you they need a vet. They arent a dog or a cat. Once they start showing that there is something wrong is when they are pretty much too far gone.
Using a fogger during the day is a one way ticket to a respiratory infection.
How much research did you do before you got your parent to get you a cham? Why did you want a cham? You need to really think hard about this pet, because they are not easy to care for. And if you arent willing to fight your parents when they say what they have is "good enough" then you should consider surrendering your cham to someone who will care for it.

Ok, let me tell you now, I am 16, still living with my parents but Apollo is living a long and happy life in a place where all requirments were met because I got a JOB I've had this cham for a year now and he turns 4 in August. I forage sticks and foliage and sometimes feeders from areas I know are pesticide free, and I do work like lawn work and house maintenance and petsitting for my neighbors. With a lot of hard work this hobby is possible for a teen like you but it comes with a huge price tag... Literally! So my advice to you is get a job and don't wait for your parents to say ok let's get a lightbulb it isn't their responsibility any more than it is yours and if you can't give her the right requirements then give her to a local animal rescue because if you can't properly take care of an animal then you need to At least try to give it the best chance at a life possible

They always seem healthy, until they arent. Chams dont get a runny nose when they are starting to get sick to show you they need a vet. They arent a dog or a cat. Once they start showing that there is something wrong is when they are pretty much too far gone.
Using a fogger during the day is a one way ticket to a respiratory infection.
How much research did you do before you got your parent to get you a cham? Why did you want a cham? You need to really think hard about this pet, because they are not easy to care for. And if you arent willing to fight your parents when they say what they have is "good enough" then you should consider surrendering your cham to someone who will care for it.
alright that makes sense. i didn't do much research on chams before i get bait, i was planning on getting a geko but when i got to the store they didnt have any. i asked the same lady that told me i have the right bulbs if they have any animals that are super chill and dont really bite. she pulled out a chameleon and told me it was fairly easy to take care of. she also told be to do research after i get her home and in her cage, which i've been doing.

Ok, let me tell you now, I am 16, still living with my parents but Apollo is living a long and happy life in a place where all requirments were met because I got a JOB I've had this cham for a year now and he turns 4 in August. I forage sticks and foliage and sometimes feeders from areas I know are pesticide free, and I do work like lawn work and house maintenance and petsitting for my neighbors. With a lot of hard work this hobby is possible for a teen like you but it comes with a huge price tag... Literally! So my advice to you is get a job and don't wait for your parents to say ok let's get a lightbulb it isn't their responsibility any more than it is yours and if you can't give her the right requirements then give her to a local animal rescue because if you can't properly take care of an animal then you need to At least try to give it the best chance at a life possible
i would like to get a job so that i could better take care of my chameleon and do several other things, but im not old enough to get a job or even my permit. i would try lawn mowing, but everyone here has someone doing it for them already. most people i know put their pets in kennels when they leave to go on trips, so that doesn't work out even when i offer to watch them sometimes. i turn 15 in august, i'm going to apply for some jobs then.

Getting is not soon enough. She looks to be over the 6 month mark which is when they usually start to develop their first folicles. I would do a vet check up too just in case
ok thanks! i'll see if there are any vets around me that would handle a cham

she also told be to do research after i get her home and in her cage, which i've been doing.

Worst. Advice. Ever.

Clearly her motivation comes from pushing sales on impusle buyers so rather than adivse you to reasearch first, this is what you get.
Stop listening to this pet shop person. This forum will give you accurate and solid information. The rest is all on you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Worst. Advice. Ever.

Clearly her motivation comes from pushing sales on impusle buyers so rather than adivse you to reasearch first, this is what you get.
Stop listening to this pet shop person. This forum will give you accurate and solid information. The rest is all on you. Good luck!
yeah i totally see what she was trying to do. that became pretty apparent after only doing a little research. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom