Does cupfeeding have the same result as handfeeding?

Pilotman800

So people always recommend hand feeding your Cham to get them to lighten up to you. I cupfeed my cham by holding a styrafoam cup up to him. I don't leave it in the cage like most people do. So every time he eats he sees me right in front of him, and he sees me holding up the cup. Do you think this will have the same effect as handfeeding in terms of him lightening up and realizing that I'm his source of food?

My guess would be yes, maybe not as fast as sticking your hand out, but not all chams are crazy about hands either. Just cup feed and see how it goes. If you are not happy after a while, try taking a feeder out of the cup in front of the cham and offering it to him. jmo

Reactions: Hoj
i would agree with laurie, my guys always perk up when they see the food coming cup or not LoL

I cupfeed all my chams except Krunch(he wont unless he is really hungry!) after they have had their staples I feed my worms in my hand, its kinda like getting dessert so they have no problem with my hand.
I also save the last worm to feed with no supps on it, the last thing they eat is from my hand and tastes even better without dusted!!
anne

It yelds the same affect of them not being to skidish of you around them but hand feeding also gets them use to your hand. My female nosey doesn't really care if im around but when I stick my hand in no matter if im cleaning, trying to pick her up, or trying to hand offer a meal she gets skidish. She is slowely coming around though. By them getting use to your hand it makes it easier to handle them. It's not 100% effective in anyway but it helps.

I have to say that anytime I open my vieled cage, whether to place more feeders into his cup or to clean it up he does a road runner and scoots as far away from me as he can. Ive tried to hold him for a bit at a time in order to get him used to me and it does no good. I would love it if he recognized me as a non-threat and made more of an effort to accept me and my friendship and feed from my hand or come towards me when I open his cage but I doubt that will ever happen. :(

my opinion/suggestion is to switch it up through out the feeding days, going from cup feeding to hand/free-ranging. I personally prefer my chameleons (even pygmy chameleons) to be cup fed. but i will also hand feed/free range my feeders to help the chameleon exercise the projection and strength of his/her tongue.

Back
Top Bottom