Does anyone worm their own reptiles?

Troia

Okay title says it all, I am going to get some flapneck chameleons and I do not know of any good reptile vets near me. I know they will come with worms and I want to have the best chance I can have

Okay title says it all, I am going to get some flapneck chameleons and I do not know of any good reptile vets near me. I know they will come with worms and I want to have the best chance I can have
Lots of people deworm their pets, but very few will advise it without a fecal warranting the medication. Moreover, if there is a huge load of nematodes, for instance, you could risk necrotic shock...assuming you source the meds correctly, in the right strength. I’m sure if you post your rough location, someone here will use the vet database to find you a vet. My advice is that if you’re treating prophelactically, even with something as innocuous as fenbendazole, you could be risking your chams—especially if you have no idea of their parasite load.

Further to my last, if you have a more serious issue such as flagellates, Coccidia etc., then hitting them with the old panacur fender bender might weaken them enough that the metronidazole , ponazuril or cephtaz will finish them off. Please find a vet. @ferretinmyshoes

How are you going to know the mediation you he I the one that will kill the parasites your chameleon has? How will you know it has any?

I do not know of any good reptile vets near me.
Have you tried the Area By Area (& country) Vet list?

Any vet can do the fecal exam for you to be sure if there are any parasites, which ones, and how heavy a load. If you still cannot find a herp vet near you, (IMO) a vet that treats exotics is the next best thing. "Worming" isn't rocket surgery; it's usually a simple enough treatment that I'd take a vet that treats exotics if I had to. It may be either that or Road Trip.

Our posts crossed. Here are a couple posts in the above thread that mention Omaha and/or Nebraska.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/area-by-area-country-vet-list.32880/page-7#post-1213460
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/area-by-area-country-vet-list.32880/page-6#post-1119478

The posts are older, so the info may or may not be current.

EDIT:
Also check here: herp vet eastern nebraska

Back
Top Bottom