Do roaches feel emotions?

Very interesting idea. It is said that when humanity has nuked itself out of existence, only the roaches will survive. Perhaps they will evolve into the next sentient life on the planet.

Interesting. Cephalopods are thought to be possible intelligent life on other planets. Even here their intelligence rivals most animals and they are mollusks!

At the risk of sounding like a total fruit loop, I have to ask if anyone has ever observed social behavior and/or signs of emotions in their roaches.
Last week I had gotten an order of discoid roaches, which the seller just packed loose and I contained in the shipping box. Not a nice surprise to open the box and have roaches crawling out at me. ? Anyhow, a couple of babies managed to escape...maybe were hiding in the box flaps. I found them both huddled together about 8 feet away from where I opened the box. They obviously stayed together during their little journey and the way they were huddled together was a bit striking. Then the other day as I was feeding a couple to my beardie, these two were also huddling together. I believe all living things experience fear as it’s a survival thing. But are these creepy crawlies capable of the need to console/be consoled when afraid? Or is staying together a survival instinct?
I think @jamest0o0 had it right: it depends on what you mean by emotions. Consider:

1) Love is the activity/behavior of putting another before oneself.

- obviously roaches probably “love” by this definition.

2) Love is a complicated chemical reaction involving oxytocin, dopamine, etc

- anything incapable of producing these chemicals will not count as candidates for love

3) ‘Love’ names a functional state whereby certain chemicals produce certain behaviour in response to certain stimulus.

- anything that can realize this kind of functional state is something that can love.

I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this. If I define ‘red’ as anything that reflects light in the 550 nm range, then nothing is red in the absence of light. But if I define ‘red’ as whatever could reflect light at this wavelength, then more things can be red. Alternatively, if I define ‘red’ as whatever property causes us humans to call something red, then that too will have a different set of members.

Long story short, everything will depend on how you define ‘emotions’.

Fun thought, but nah IDT it works that way. People aren't just roaches added on to lol.

are you sure?
CDBF7502-AB4B-4FAD-A7DF-41DD7EEC2ADC.jpeg

Considering I've trained roaches to be out in mid day by changing the feeding schedule around, and the fact even wild caught ones settle down as well leads me to think they have more gears turning that given credit for.

That said Polistes wasps can remember faces, and whether they've had a positive, negative, or neutral interaction with someone and make predictions accordingly... I've hand tamed them to the point you can push them around on their nest and they just move out of the way lol.

Back
Top Bottom