Help with Jackson

BCam

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackon, male, and a year old (unsure) I've had him for about a month.
  • Handling - once every week or two so that he gets some sunlight.
  • Feeding - crickets, mealworms, dubai roaches, and superworms (mostly crickets and roaches with occasional worm)
  • Supplements - Repashy calcium plus, once every two weeks. Light dusting on his 4-5 feeders each morning of Multivitamin and Calcium supplements from LightYourReptiles.
  • Watering - Misting by hand 3-4 times a day for a few minutes. He drinks from the leaves of the pothos plant in his cage or the fake plant leaves. Also has a new dripper which he basically just sits under.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown ball, along with a pure white ball.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2 screen cages, one 18x18x36 and one 24x24x48". Both ReptiBreeze.
  • Lighting - One heat bulb (70 watt house bulb) and one Arcadia dual tube fixture. I keep them on from 8am-8pm usually. I usually turn his heat lamp off for a little while if it gets too warm in his cage.
  • Temperature - 85-80his basking spot at the top of the cage and low 70's towards the bottom.
  • Humidity - Not the best levels, 40-70 depending on the weather here.
  • Plants - A schefflera plant potted with large stones on top of the soil in each cage, along with a large bromeliad in the larger cage.
  • Placement - Cages are on a two foot/three foot tall table so the top of it is about 5ft/7ft tall.
  • Location - Brooklyn, NY.

Current Problem -
I'm having an issue with feeding and Cam's appetite. I've been giving him crickets and dubai roaches since I first got him, and then introduced superworms and meal worms on top of that. I feed all the insects Dandelion Greens, Collard Greens, and carrots.

He stopped eating about a week and 1/2 ago. He was eating 5-6 crickets a day before this, along with 2-3 dubai roaches. I'd give him a superworm or 2 and meal worm or 2 every few days mixed in with the crickets and roaches. About a week and 1/2 ago he just stopped eating the crickets, had no interest in the roaches and only ate when I'd feed him a superworm. I stopped doing this because I've read on these forums about how they shouldn't be eating solely superworms, and they should be more of a treat. Last week on Tuesday he hadn't eaten in a few days, so I went and bought three hornworms at the local pet store in Brooklyn. They were about 3-4 inches long, but the minute I put one in his cage on my hand, he ate it. He refused any normal feeders the following morning on Wednesday, so I gave him another hornworm early afternoon. He grabbed it right off one of his perch dowels. It took him a while to eat it and he kept his mouth open long after finishing it.

I watched and he kept his mouth open most of the night until he fell asleep, and then the following day once he woke up all day. His temperatures were fine in the cage and I misted him because I was worried he was thirsty since he was keeping his mouth open since the night before. I didn't give him the third hornworm I had gotten because I was worried something happened with them since he wouldn't close his mouth.

I live in two locations (split the week between the two which is why he has two cages, one in BK and one upstate). When I drove upstate Thursday afternoon for work, he seemed fine in his travel box, light green and asleep on his towel. When I got here he went into his other cage, the larger one, and continued to keep his mouth wide open all day. I decided to drive him to my local vet here to see their exotic pet doctor and he gave him a good look over, said he seemed fine, but he was a little worried about him possibly having MBD. He said other than that, he seemed very healthy, no tongue/mouth problems. He prescribed Calcium Borogluconate 23% to give him twice a day for two weeks, which I started Thursday night. Since starting him on the medicine he has definitely stopped keeping his mouth open.

I want to note that I also installed the
24" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 6% and 6.5k Day-light Bulb in his larger cage here on Friday (which is 24x24x48 inches)
I kept the combo dome I had gotten him when first purchased (Zoomed) and keep just the 70 watt house light / heat lamp on, set to one side of his cage, with the Arcadia UVB on the other. He is definitely more active in his cage with the Arcadia bulbs and spend more time under there than when I had the smaller UVB bulb on in the combo dome with his heat bulb. I also installed a dripper cup I made for him yesterday morning, and he loves it. He sits under it most of the day, marching around his cage but always ending up there, freezing when it's dripping on his head or body. He hasn't had his mouth open for two straight days now like he was keeping it since Tuesday. It's only open every once in a while (once every couple hours, but not for long periods of time like before)

The problem is, he still will not eat crickets, roaches, or anything but a superworm. I fed him two Superworms Friday, because he wouldn't eat anything else and was making me nervous since he hadn't eaten a cricket or roach for over a week and a half at that point. I haven't fed him since Friday(two superworms he snatched up quickly), and this morning he was not interested in any dubai roaches. I'm worried he is either having issues eating or is on a hunger strike for anything but a mealworm or superworm.

I'm trying to continue to feed his roaches, superworms, and crickets so they're gutloaded for when he is ready for them, but he seems to have zero interest in his usual food when I place it in his cage for him.
Is he just nervous because he changes cages every 3-4 days? He seems happy in both his cages, and very active, but maybe that is affecting his hunger? Just worried cause it's over a week of no crickets or dubai's.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. I've been searching the forums and just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly for him. I attached a few photos of him from yesterday, when we went outside for an hour after I had to take him out to give him his medicine, and he seemed to really like the grass and plants in my garden. He turned really light colors/almost a blue green and light green after the first 20 minutes when he was dark green/spotted.

IMG_0718.jpeg
IMG_8479.JPG.jpeg
IMG_3114.jpeg
IMG_7052.jpeg

That was a very thorough write up. I hope I didn't miss anything in it.
1) "Supplements - Repashy calcium plus, once every two weeks. Light dusting on his 4-5 feeders each morning of Multivitamin and Calcium supplements from LightYourReptiles."
You have an unusual supplement schedule that is off kilter for a montane species. I dust mine lightly three days a week with Repashy LoD. People that use multiple supplements usually use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month. So he is getting too much D3 and multivitamins. If the vet really believes he has MBD then follow his instructions on the calcium he/she gave you. I don't see any indication of MBD in the pictures or in your description but the vet saw him in person and I haven't.
2) "Temperature - 85-80his basking spot at the top of the cage and low 70's towards the bottom.
Humidity - Not the best levels, 40-70 depending on the weather here."

As you noticed his temps are getting a bit high try to stay closer to 82˚F at his basking spot. Try a lower wattage or move a couple inches higher above the cage. The humidity can be improved with additional live plants, wrapping 2-3 sides of his cage with plastic or adding 1-2 more short mistings a day. Decreasing your temps may help as well. I'm able to get enough heat most of the year with just the arcadia dual fixture.
3) The problem is, he still will not eat crickets, roaches, or anything but a superworm. I fed him two Superworms Friday, because he wouldn't eat anything else and was making me nervous since he hadn't eaten a cricket or roach for over a week and a half at that point.
All chameleons are individuals and you and I have different species but for mine superworms are more addictive than cigarettes and heroin put together. I feed two to three a week at most and then only hand feed them for taming or to check on a hunger strike. If your guy is really a year old his appetite maybe slowing along with his growth. At this stage many people start feeding every other day. I feed half as much but daily.
I usually have success breaking a hunger strike by feeding in an outdoor cage. Something about dinning alfresco. I don't know how many sunny days your area has left this year but it could be worth a try.
I don't know what to say about moving him back and forth. I move mine outdoors all the time but the move is seconds and there is no car ride. I might back off of this until things resolve.
Hope some of this helps.

Thank you so much for your response!

I will definitely change his supplementing schedule to what you recommend, now that I have Calcium+MG powder from LightYourReptiles. The other Calcium I had gotten has D3 in it, so I will use that once a month along with the multivitamin.

Good to know about the Arcadia fixture giving enough heat this time of year. I will watch his humidity and temp levels over the next couple of days to make sure it is better. Do you recommend not even bothering with a heat lamp/basking spot if the Arcadia dual fixture keeps the top of his cage at 80-82 degrees?

I'll also keep the superworms to a minimum. It seems whenever he has had them in the past (only a couple of times since I've had him the past month) he loses interest in anything else.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

You will have to see if you are getting the temps you need from the 6.5k bulb. Winter may require more of a heat source. All you need the non uv bulb do is give them a place to bring up their body temperate and draw them into the UVB.

Great, thanks for the help! I've been watching his temps and the humidity levels to make sure they're more in line with the care sheet.

He still isn't eating but has let out two big poops/urates the past two days, I'm guessing from sitting under his dripper so much. This morning was a large very light brown/off white poop or urate, I couldn't tell which. But no dark brown like he usually has. He still won't eat a roach or cricket. Just marches around his cage with short stops under the dripper. Hopefully this changes soon and he eats again.

I didn't read all of this, but I wanted to address the supplementing. @JacksJill I actually meant to bring this up to you. The Arcadia earth pro A is apparently safe to use at every feeding on days that you don't use the ca/mag. John courtney Smith swears that even a Parsons can use it at every feeding. They have been turning the supplementation world upside down at arcadia. I know people like to support their own products, but i also trust JCS as a guy that cares about animals and would not put them in harms way. They seem to be ahead of the game in a lot of aspects. Their products apparently are all made from whole natural sources that can't cause harm. Now I'm no expert on this, I know about as much as the next guy. But what they say makes sense, it's basically like powdering with gutload.

I'd like to see what more people think about it though. I talked to JCS personally and that is a general summary of what I got from it.

When I spoke with LightYourReptiles they said I could alternate between the two each day, then use Repashy Calcium Plus once a month in place of them. Only problem is he hasn't eaten anything in over a week now, except for two superworms last Friday. I even tried a moth and some fruit flies, but he had no interest.

The Arcadia double fixture UVB I got from them seems to work well, he definitely goes under it a lot, and I'm glad I can have his basking spot/heat bulb on one side of each cage with the Arcadia double fixture on the other so he can alternate.

plain calcium without D3 every feeding. multivitamins once a month. calcium with D3 once a month. A vitamin i oil form once a month, just a drope.

Did the poor appetite start before or after you put in the new lighting? I've started a hunger strike by moving a plant but that only lasted a couple days.
I hope pooping helps and he gets back to eating. Is he still interested in supers? I would offer one every 2-3 days just to test his appetite and after he's past this think about weaning him off them.

He stopped eating a week before I got his new UVB. I haven't changed anything in his cage either....so I have no idea what's up.

He still won't eat any dubais or crickets this morning, so the last thing would have been two super worms last Friday
:(

I'm worried he got hooked on superworms since he went so fast for those but still has zero interest in anything else

Still hasn't eaten, and I've tried silkworms, hornworms, supers, crickets, moths, flies, and roaches.

When I moved him to his other cage (I have two homes I split time at during the week so he has two cages) he hasn't moved much. He did yesterday when he got into his second cage. But today has hasn't moved off the branch he slept on and is a dark green/black color. His eyes are also closed which worries me.

Not sure what else to do. I've taken him to the vet and he had no problems, tried every feeder I could order for him. Nothing is working.

I'm guessing he doesn't like being moved each week between his two cages, even though it's been like that for a month now and he seemed happy as could be before.

Back
Top Bottom