Do pets ship overseas? (off topic)

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I want to buy a centipede from a British website, but I was wondering if it would still ship to the us fast? I know not many planes are coming and so I don't know if it would still arrive in the next few days. The website does say it ships to the US, but I don't know if it would arrive promptly. I am french, and my dad sent a letter to the bank in france, and after a week, the letter still hasn't left the country. Should I order it from that website anyway? This is the website if it helps: https://www.bugzuk.com/insects/centipedes/scolopendra-hainanum-orange-yellow-leg-3-left
Thanks!

Don't bother unless your going to spend thousands on all the fees to legally get it.

Importation is a business venture sadly. Or for seriously dedicated hobbyists who have the time and money to get the species established.

What species of pede are you looking for by the way?

I'm going to recommend Scolopendra heros, and scolopendra polymorpha as they are fairly bullet proof as far as pedes go. Scolopendra polymorpha is especially good for starting out.

Buy this book, first

https://www.amazon.com/Centipedes-Captivity-Reproductive-Husbandry-Chilopoda/dp/1616462310

But speaking honestly id much rather you start with tarantulas and scorpions before jumping into centipedes, as they don't take prisoners so to speak.

Last edited:
Don't bother unless your going to spend thousands on all the fees to legally get it.

Importation is a business venture sadly. Or for seriously dedicated hobbyists who have the time and money to get the species established.

What species of pede are you looking for by the way?

I'm going to recommend Scolopendra heros, and scolopendra polymorpha as they are fairly bullet proof as far as pedes go. Scolopendra polymorpha is especially good for starting out.

Buy this book, first

https://www.amazon.com/Centipedes-Captivity-Reproductive-Husbandry-Chilopoda/dp/1616462310

But speaking honestly id much rather you start with tarantulas and scorpions before jumping into centipedes, as they don't take prisoners so to speak.
scolopendra multidens.
I was considering a polymorpha, but the cheapest I could find one was $35 plus $50 shipping, which is outrageous. I also want a giant species. As for S. heros, the cheapest I could find was $100 on ebay. I could not find it on any other website. They were all out of stock. What fees are you talking about? Can't I just click order and it will come to my door? It did not mention any fees.
What do you mean they don't take prisoners? I asked on arachnoboards, and they gave me the go to put a centipede in it. I also centipede-proofed my enclosure. So if i order this pede from that website, will it arrive to my door in the next week?

update: just looked closely, and it says they can ship to anywhere in the world exept the US and new zealand.

Those prices are reasonable actually. These animals don't exactly make breeding them easy. They can also be delicate during shipping.

As for fees, you need an actual importation license to bring animals from out of the country. Which means you have to deal with APHIS the FWS among others.

They will not simply ship that animal to you.

And buy that book I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom