Do not buy from pet smart!

OfficialChameleon

CAUTION: Lengthy story....

So, funny - but not surprising story! So, four months ago I purchased a "Male" veiled chameleon. The workers were unsure of the age of "him" and also were keeping the poor guy in a tiny (10*8) enclosure with wood chip substrate! All he had was a little stick and fake leaves (directly under the heat lamp, 2 inches below...). So bought the guy for $70. He was on sale. So now yesterday, I look in to "his" cage and "he" is digging in the pot of the plant! I would have put in a laying bin at this point, but there was a blizzard where I live in Minnesota. So she kept digging from about 4pm-3am approx. The hole in the morning was relatively deep, I could not tell exactly how deep because I immediately covered "his" enclosure with a blanket so "he" could dig without being spooked. So the next morning I look and she is laying her eggs! I had to go to school, but when I got back at 3pm she had buried them, but was walking in circles in the pot! I provided a LOT of water, and 7 crickets! She was so hungry! She has been drinking and eating perfectly. I did dust the crix with calcium powder.

Moral of the story:

Screw PetSmart. They told me to put substrate in the enclosure, and that I didn't need calcium powder, or vitamin. As some of you know my poor baby almost died from that substrate they coaxed me to purchase (she ate a large chunk of wood). This store is evil. I hear terrible stories all over the internet! Thanks to you guys I successfully provided a very comfortable home for my cham!

THANK YOU ALL!

PS: I changes her name form Mr.Guacamole to Pringles :D and I have yet to retrieve her eggs that she buried in the roots of her hibiscus. Should I dig them up in front of her? Should i take the planter out and do it away from her? They are infertile, and I don't want them rotting in the planter!!

You can't ash businesses on here. Sorry.

But, she doesn't care idyll dig up her eggs, just take the plant out an do it.

sorry to hear that all this happened(very ridiculous!!!), but its REALLY good that she was able to lay her eggs without an issue and didnt become eggbound :) definitely something to be thankful for!!!! :) how is she doing now?

I purchased my girl from PetSmart a couple of months ago. She was in relatively good health, but I don't think they were feeding her enough, and they had her in a tiny glass enclosure with very large pieces of substrate. When I spoke to the manager of the reptile department about it, she said that the general setup was not something she had control over--it was dictated by corporate--and that she would love to keep their chameleons in screen cages, but was doing the best she could.

I felt sorry for her, but more sorry for the chameleons. Thankfully there seems to be a high turnover rate here, and they get a new one every couple of weeks, so they aren't in those conditions for very long. The girls they have working in the reptile section did seem fairly knowledgeable about chameleon care, so I'll give them credit for that--it's certainly not thanks to PetSmart corporate.

I go back to the same store to get crickets every week or so, and they are always wanting to see pictures of Donatella and are happy to hear that she is doing well.

I wanna climb up the corporate ladder of PetSmart and change this world for chameleons for the better. Reasonable dream? Come on guyz. I'm 17 with no idea what I wanna do with my life, I got plenty of time!

I said you edit everything to read 'PETSTUPID' therefor you're not bashing a business; yet everyone still knows what you mean ;)

I'd be pissed! I have had similar thing happen with my cham with a lack of care :( I'm glad shim has an outstanding owner now though :)

CAUTION: Lengthy story....

So, funny - but not surprising story! So, four months ago I purchased a "Male" veiled chameleon. The workers were unsure of the age of "him" and also were keeping the poor guy in a tiny (10*8) enclosure with wood chip substrate! All he had was a little stick and fake leaves (directly under the heat lamp, 2 inches below...). So bought the guy for $70. He was on sale. So now yesterday, I look in to "his" cage and "he" is digging in the pot of the plant! I would have put in a laying bin at this point, but there was a blizzard where I live in Minnesota. So she kept digging from about 4pm-3am approx. The hole in the morning was relatively deep, I could not tell exactly how deep because I immediately covered "his" enclosure with a blanket so "he" could dig without being spooked. So the next morning I look and she is laying her eggs! I had to go to school, but when I got back at 3pm she had buried them, but was walking in circles in the pot! I provided a LOT of water, and 7 crickets! She was so hungry! She has been drinking and eating perfectly. I did dust the crix with calcium powder.

Moral of the story:

Screw PetSmart. They told me to put substrate in the enclosure, and that I didn't need calcium powder, or vitamin. As some of you know my poor baby almost died from that substrate they coaxed me to purchase (she ate a large chunk of wood). This store is evil. I hear terrible stories all over the internet! Thanks to you guys I successfully provided a very comfortable home for my cham!

THANK YOU ALL!

PS: I changes her name form Mr.Guacamole to Pringles :D and I have yet to retrieve her eggs that she buried in the roots of her hibiscus. Should I dig them up in front of her? Should i take the planter out and do it away from her? They are infertile, and I don't want them rotting in the planter!!

I always have had bad information from all pet stores wich is realy frustrating best advice is on here

Also, I don't mean to ash the store, but seriously? A shoe box size enclosure, glass, large substrate, minimal climbing area. It's animal abuse!

Also, I don't mean to ash the store, but seriously? A shoe box size enclosure, glass, large substrate, minimal climbing area. It's animal abuse!

I meant bash, lol. Missed the b.

I'm it disagreeing with anything you said, I totally agree they don't do things properly, it's just a rule of the forum that's all.

Alright, haha ash works also! I didn't mean to break any rules, I am just very shocked at how little the workers at my local store know!

I too thought I was buying a male when I bought my girl Isis from a big box store but I am 'supposed' to be an experienced keeper (going on 6 years) and forgot to check the tarsal spur on 'his' back feet for confirmation so it was my own stupidity. Glad to have my Isis though, I love her to bits!

ps: only veiled's have the tarsal spur, others like Panthers are no so easily sexed!

Back
Top Bottom