Do Chameleons possess the ability to recognize their owner?

Bush baby

Avid Member
Since Chameleons are visual based animals, and communicate via visual cues, color, etc, is it possible that they may also learn to recognize a person who frequently feeds them, etc by that persons visual attributes, i.e color of their skin, height, etc...and know that that person is not a threat?

This dawned on me with my Jackson's who allows me to handle him, feeds/drinks in front of me with no fear, however when any other family member gets into view he displays a stress/ defensive coloration and posture....

No doubt at all! My son is a 'mini me' and Bob doesn't bother with him but when I walk in the room, he's like an exited puppy. There's no doubt that we have a cham that loves to interact with us at every opportunity. His favourite vine is..... well frankly.... me!

I hope I have a good relationship with mine one day. Like I said he has gotten better so its trending in the right direction. Haha. I try to make every time I pick him up a good thing like outside time or a hornworm. Sometimes both.

I should think so. My cham is okay with me, when I am watching him (he doesnt like to be handled at all). But if someone else puts their face to his enclosure to look he puffs up at them. They're so great. I wonder if they wow at our ability to change colour every day (clothing) hahaha.

Since the visual cortex is probably the bigger part of a chameleon brain, yes! They sometime can be confuse when the owner got a new haircut or a new shirt ;)

Back
Top Bottom