Do Chameleons go through puberty?

fastgixxerlv

Do these guys go through teen ages like humans? I got a baby veild back in April and now he is huge and mean, I can't even get him out of the cage anymore. Will he eventually calm down a bit or am I gonna have to wear gloves to handle him? I have only handled him for maintainace before and I was wondering if I handle him more often will he get used to it? I had a female veild before but she never screamed at me to get out of the cage like this guy.

once u dont hold them u can kiss kuddling with them goodbye.:(:(:(:(there not used to u know so of course he'll still b agressive for the rest of his life unless u rehabilitate him:mad::mad::mad:

From what I've read on these forums... People call it their "teen" years and I've gathered from posts that thats from about 6 months on to a year... I know my guy is close to six months (more like 5.5) and he is altering his entire personality... Some get more aggressive but I think the veiled is the more aggressive to begin with if I'm not mistaken

I'm not an expert but dealt with my first cham who also happened to be a Veiled. He was also very agressive and had bitten quite a few people. Depending on your cham, it's definitely possible to tame your cham, but it also depends on your guys own personality.

The best way is to win him over through his stomach :D It'll take a lot of patience and loads of time, it took me about 6 months. I'd gradually put my hand in his cage and then put it closer and closer to him moving around bracnhes. Then one day I put my hands under him and he stepped up on my arm :) That was the best day...I remember it perfectly and it was almost 6 years ago. It'll be a very rewarding experience...best of luck! :D

Thanks everyone! I will try your suggestions and tame him. I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was not good to handle them all the time, but my guy does'nt really stress, I think, cause he does not turn colors when he is throwing the tantrum, he does get dark when I close the door and he is walking away.

He's 6 months and has totaly changed his attitude. I think he's decided he'll only eat worms now, he will not touch the crickets.

Thanks everyone! I will try your suggestions and tame him. I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was not good to handle them all the time, but my guy does'nt really stress, I think, cause he does not turn colors when he is throwing the tantrum, he does get dark when I close the door and he is walking away.

He's 6 months and has totaly changed his attitude. I think he's decided he'll only eat worms now, he will not touch the crickets.

try your best on getting him crickets remember worms = lots of fat

try to feed him with your hand and pet him every other day so he can feel a bit more comfortable in your hands

a chameleon is not an animal that you "pet" especially if he isnt comfortable with you handling him...and dont get your hopes up, because sometimes no matter how hard you try they still just might have an aggressive personality...just give it time, and dont try to push it...you would rather have a happy unhandled cham than a stressed out angry cham

you should try roaches...meatier than crickets, and they dont smell :D

I fully believe they do.
As some others have mentioned they've had Chams turn on them at 6-12 months, then after that go back to wanting to be handled.
It's definitely strange, but hormones cause everyone to do crazy things :D

mine seems to have mood swings, like for the past two days if i went near the cage she would hiss, now today when i was giving her a drink she climbed onto my arm then sat on my head, made me late for work :(

try your best on getting him crickets remember worms = lots of fat

you should try roaches...meatier than crickets, and they dont smell :D

I tried the crickets again today and still no luck, I even free ranged them. I do have dubias starting and the females are fat and ready to give birth soon so I can use them. I started the roach colony 2 months ago, and did not think my chameleon would grow so fast.

I tried the crickets again today and still no luck, I even free ranged them. I do have dubias starting and the females are fat and ready to give birth soon so I can use them. I started the roach colony 2 months ago, and did not think my chameleon would grow so fast.

yeah they grow super fast haha...its amazing to see how much they develop in such a short time

both my male veileds are like that grumpo is all piss and vinegar and gloves are a must to get him out of his cage. groucho only puffs up and hiss and doesn't bite so i'd suggest wear gloves the bad boys have a very powerful bite. some times you gotta take them out no matter what but if he backs into a corner or your at it for like 5 minutes stop and leave them alone and come back another day or two.

I think it'll depend on the cham... it's probably a good idea to remind him who feeds him....... hand feed him now.... so he has to build up trust. maybe he won't be so mean when your hand is in the cage and you need to get him out. I have a younger veiled that is a spaz about me..... I find that when i don't give him a chance to get away he just goes with it. What I mean is... I wait till hes at the fron of the cage to take him out... I open the cage and put my hand somewhere that makes hum climb on my hand. He usually doesn't fus once out of the cage. I try to hand and feed him enough so that he gets used to me. I need to step up the effort.

Back
Top Bottom