Do burns/bruises heal over time?

My chameleon Zim has had a dark mark on his casque since last November. I took him to the vet but he didn't know for sure what it was. He thought maybe it was caused by mites since there was an infestation in his cage from his reptile bark bedding it turned out to be infested with mites ( Btw dont ever buy the zoo med reptibark from Amazon) but I got rid of them. I changed it to carpet and got him new plants so I don't think that's what it is I'm thinking it's either a bruise, burn or fungal? I've been treating his mark with the nolvadan ointment from the vet for months and also tried out vetericyn plus, aloe, lotrimin and neosporin. About to try out some PetSilver next. The dark spot is still there after months 🤷‍♀️. Not sure what to think I'm wondering if this is permanent or if it just takes a very long time to heal? Has anyone else on here seen a burn or bruise like this heal completely?
PXL_20220318_214212843~2.jpg Snapchat-1453063986~2.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
I am not a veterinarian, nor do I play one on the internet.

My chameleon Zim has had a dark mark on his casque since last November. I took him to the vet but he didn't know for sure what it was. He thought maybe it was caused by mites since there was an infestation in his cage from his reptile bark bedding it turned out to be infested with mites
Was this a certified herp vet with chameleon experience?
IMO/E, he should know the difference between a burn and an infestation/infection.

Here are a couple of sites to help you find a herp vet near you.
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
http://www.findalocalvet.com/Find-a-Veterinarian/Reptiles.aspx

( Btw dont ever buy the zoo med reptibark from Amazon) but I got rid of them. I changed it to carpet
TBH, I'm not a fan of carpet either. With the (relatively) high humidity of a chameleon enclosure, daily mistings, and nightly fogging, reptile carpet can become a breeding ground for any number of molds, mildew, fungus, etc.

Unless your enclosure is full-out bioactive, it's best to have no substrate at all—easier to clean and keep free of aforementioned nasties.

Not sure what to think I'm wondering if this is permanent or if it just takes a very long time to heal? Has anyone else on here seen a burn or bruise like this heal completely?
I'm not sure what to think either. Here is some information on burns and other chameleon medical issues.

Below is a goggle search, but it's a starting point; it includes links to discussions (and pictures) of chameleon burns from this forum, an excellent (IMO) German chameleon forum (in English), PetMD, and others.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chameleon+burns
...and a simple search of this site's archives. As you read, you may be able to refine this search:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1741124/?q=burn&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Five months IS a long time. I think consultation with a different (herp) vet is in order—even if just for a second opinion, but hopefully for better results.

Hi and welcome. :) I’m not very concerned about the spot on his casque, but I am concerned about the size of it. The way it’s puffed out is a sign of obesity and the short height could mean some husbandry issues. I’d love to help and make sure all is as perfect as possible for your sweet Zim. If you’d like this, just copy/paste the following with your answers and include pics of your enclosure and we can get to it.:)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome. :) I’m not very concerned about the spot on his casque, but I am concerned about the size of it. The way it’s puffed out is a sign of obesity and the short height could mean some husbandry issues. I’d love to help and make sure all is as perfect as possible for your sweet Zim. If you’d like this, just copy/paste the following with your answers and include pics of your enclosure and we can get to it.:)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I'm actually not surprised to hear this I always thought he looked a lil chub too but when I asked my vet about it they said his weight was fine 🤷‍♀️. Im pretty sure they said he's like borderline overweight so he's getting there 🤦‍♀️. Maybe I should put him on a diet? I'll have to read more about it. Is it bad to only feed you cham super worms and meal worms? I stopped feeding him crickets a while ago because I think crickets are disgusting and I despise them and they jump😖... Now I'm wondering if that was a mistake

I agree with @MissSkittles above... The size of the casque is a concern... The spot on the side of the casque is that what you are talking about? Have you seen any oozing from it?
Yeah I noticed it appeared in November when it wasn't there before and no I have not seen any oozing 🤔. I'm starting to think that it's healed and that it must be a permanent mark. I may take him to get a check up soon to make sure though

Yeah I noticed it appeared in November when it wasn't there before and no I have not seen any oozing 🤔. I'm starting to think that it's healed and that it must be a permanent mark. I may take him to get a check up soon to make sure though
IF you can get some closer pics that would be helpful. I seriously doubt this is from mites.

The way it presents on the cheek does not look at all like a burn. The way a veiled almost always gets burned is the top ridge of the casque or the spine.

Your boy is overweight though. How often are you feeding and how many feeders? are you free feeding them by letting them loose in the cage. Were you feeding crickets back with the spot first showed up?

Do not google burns... The internet presents a ton of incorrect info. Google to try to find an answer when it comes to something so specific with a cham is going to give you a ton of incorrect info. Kinda like googling your medical symptons. What might be a sprained ankle they return to you as having cancer. This simply is not a way to find info. Being here with experienced keepers is the way to figure it out.

Welcome to the forum.
I am not a veterinarian, nor do I play one on the internet.

Was this a certified herp vet with chameleon experience?
IMO/E, he should know the difference between a burn and an infestation/infection.

Here are a couple of sites to help you find a herp vet near you.
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
http://www.findalocalvet.com/Find-a-Veterinarian/Reptiles.aspx

TBH, I'm not a fan of carpet either. With the (relatively) high humidity of a chameleon enclosure, daily mistings, and nightly fogging, reptile carpet can become a breeding ground for any number of molds, mildew, fungus, etc.

Unless your enclosure is full-out bioactive, it's best to have no substrate at all—easier to clean and keep free of aforementioned nasties.

I'm not sure what to think either. Here is some information on burns and other chameleon medical issues.

Below is a goggle search, but it's a starting point; it includes links to discussions (and pictures) of chameleon burns from this forum, an excellent (IMO) German chameleon forum (in English), PetMD, and others.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chameleon+burns
...and a simple search of this site's archives. As you read, you may be able to refine this search:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1741124/?q=burn&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Five months IS a long time. I think consultation with a different (herp) vet is in order—even if just for a second opinion, but hopefully for better results.
Thank you, and im not sure I usually just ask for an exotic vet. I kinda feel like he didn't know what he was talking about tbh 🤷‍♀️... I had a pretty good exotic vet in my old town they were expensive but at least I felt like they had more reptile experience. Yeah I get it I never liked carpet either for that same reason. I do switch out the carpet often because it's harder to clean it but your right would probably be best to have no carpet or bedding. I just worry about if he falls and there's no kind of cushion on the bottom of his cage. He's kinda clumsy 😅. Yeah I agree it would be good to try out a different vet with more reptile experience and get a second opinion. Thank you I will definitely check out the info you sent

Thank you, and im not sure I usually just ask for an exotic vet. I kinda feel like he didn't know what he was talking about tbh 🤷‍♀️... I had a pretty good exotic vet in my old town they were expensive but at least I felt like they had more reptile experience. Yeah I get it I never liked carpet either for that same reason. I do switch out the carpet often because it's harder to clean it but your right would probably be best to have no carpet or bedding. I just worry about if he falls and there's no kind of cushion on the bottom of his cage. He's kinda clumsy 😅. Yeah I agree it would be good to try out a different vet with more reptile experience and get a second opinion. Thank you I will definitely check out the info you sent
They're built to take falls to some extent, and it's a relatively common concern (and question).
Here are some discussion threads from the archives:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chameleons+do+fall+site:www.chameleonforums.com

My panther falls out of one plant or another every once in a while. Usually (like this morning he misjudged a branch of his Schefflera) he catches himself with his tail, but once in a great while...
Worst case he was stunned for a few minutes, but climbed right back up again.

No problem with providing a cushion; strategically placed ferns or ground cover plants that don't need much light can help.

It is NOT normal for a chameleon to be clumsy or fall. This most typically points to other issues going on. Could be the cage is not set up correctly or MBD due to improper supplementation and UVB lighting.
I've read that somewhere so that did cross my mind as well 🤔 and I brought it up to my vet last time he was there and they said it's not MBD. He falls occasionally but not like everyday so i dont think it's anything to worried about hopefully? If anything I thought maybe it could be because some of his finger nails got filed down or broke I'm not sure what from maybe from climbing his branches? So i think his grip may not be as good because of his nails? I also did research on his lighting and went with the T5 HO 15 watt ReptiSun lamp and 100 watt basking bulb for him. I sprinkle his food with repashy super food calcium plus with vitamins supplement and occasionally give him vitamin A plus. And he has an Inkbird Humidity Controller IHC200 Humidifier system with a glass cage with pothos plants. He also has a big outdoor cage that my fiancee built him to get natural sunlight with a reptirain misting system.

They're built to take falls to some extent, and it's a relatively common concern (and question).
Here are some discussion threads from the archives:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chameleons+do+fall+site:www.chameleonforums.com

My panther falls out of one plant or another every once in a while. Usually (like this morning he misjudged a branch of his Schefflera) he catches himself with his tail, but once in a great while...
Worst case he was stunned for a few minutes, but climbed right back up again.

No problem with providing a cushion; strategically placed ferns or ground cover plants that don't need much light can help.
Your panther is a daredevil, as is mine. OP’s cham is showing signs that something is seriously off which combined with falling, signals a problem that needs to be corrected.

I sprinkle his food with repashy super food calcium plus with vitamins supplement and occasionally give him vitamin A plus.
So this is a problem. He’s getting too much vitamins D3 and A, both of which are fat soluble and build up in the body. The Repashy calcium Plus is fine to use, but only one feeding every other week. That will be your combination of a multivitamin and D3. It contains preformed vitamin A, which is great for a healthy cham, but needs to be given very carefully and in limited amounts. There’s no need to use any additional vitamin A and it could easily all build up to toxic levels. For every feeding (except the calcium plus one), you want to be using a phosphorus free calcium without D3. If you like Repashy, their Supercal is great.
While I’m not a vet, what a I believe may be happening is your chameleon is getting all of this vitamin D3, which is needed to properly utilize calcium, but he isn’t getting any calcium. This is most likely why his casque is stunted and his grip is poor, causing him to be clumsy and fall. I suggest stopping the Calcium Plus for about a month and just use the calcium without D3.
Also, just an fyi…many exotics vets have limited and/or outdated info about chameleons. Depending on where you live, you may have to travel a bit for a good vet who is experienced and knowledgeable about chams.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -
  • The species- Veiled Chameleon
  • Sex- Male
  • Age- About 2.5?
  • How long has it been in your care- A little less then 2.5
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon- Everyday he's very social, happy, and loving
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Super worms and meal worms
  • What amount? I offer him 3 a day and he doesn't always eat them.
  • What is the schedule? He usually comes to me and asks me to take him to his outdoor enclosure. I take him out and let him outside for a few hours then I take him back in the house.
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders? With zucchini, cucumber, grapes, all kinds of fruits and veggies that I check to make sure they are safe for him.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I sprinkle his food with repashy super food calcium plus with vitamins supplement and occasionally give him vitamin A plus
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? He has an Inkbird Humidity Controller IHC200 Humidifier system with his glass cage and a reptirain misting system in his outdoor cage.
  • How often and how long to you mist? Not sure it's automatic it's senses the humidity and goes off when it gets low. His reptirain outside sprays every he for 30 seconds.
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes he drinks a lot when I spray the bottle at his mouth lately I wonder if he's dehydrated but he gets a lot of water from his mistings so idk 🤷‍♀️
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has been tested and has never had parasites. I'm looking at his 💩 rn it does looks a bit orangey yellow when it didn't before 🤔. It looks firm in consistency.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - He used to have mouth rot like a year ago but I took him to the vet and he's better now

• Your Chameleon -
  • The species- Veiled Chameleon
  • Sex- Male
  • Age- About 2.5?
  • How long has it been in your care- A little less then 2.5
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon- Everyday he's very social, happy, and loving That is quite unusual, especially for a veiled.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Super worms and meal worms Superworms are very fatty and should only be given as occasional treats. There are lots of other feeders that are great. My favorites are roaches and silkworms for nutrition. Crickets are a necessary evil for me. Mealworms are not recommended. Then you need to feed your bugs so that they will be healthy and provide better nutrition for your chameleon. Attaching some graphics below.
  • What amount? I offer him 3 a day and he doesn't always eat them. This too is unusual for a veiled. They are usually opportunistic and will always eat whatever is offered. He should be getting fed about 3-4 feeders, every other day or 3 times a week.
  • What is the schedule? He usually comes to me and asks me to take him to his outdoor enclosure. I take him out and let him outside for a few hours then I take him back in the house.
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders? With zucchini, cucumber, grapes, all kinds of fruits and veggies that I check to make sure they are safe for him. See the graphic.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I sprinkle his food with repashy super food calcium plus with vitamins supplement and occasionally give him vitamin A plus Already went over this.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? He has an Inkbird Humidity Controller IHC200 Humidifier system with his glass cage and a reptirain misting system in his outdoor cage.
  • How often and how long to you mist? Not sure it's automatic it's senses the humidity and goes off when it gets low. His reptirain outside sprays every he for 30 seconds. What humidity range do you have? Ideal for a veiled during the day is between 30-50%. I’m not familiar with that IHC200 system…is it a mister or a humidifier? During the day, you never want to use a humidifier…you want to just mist. The standard misting schedule is for at least 2 minutes, 2-3 times a day…right before lights on and off and mid day if needed. At night if you get a temp drop below at least 70, you can use the humidifier to simulate the natural hydration they get in the wild from fog.
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes he drinks a lot when I spray the bottle at his mouth lately I wonder if he's dehydrated but he gets a lot of water from his mistings so idk 🤷‍♀️ Not a good idea to spray him directly and since he is drinking a lot when you do that, I’m guessing he isn’t getting enough water from mistings.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has been tested and has never had parasites. I'm looking at his 💩rn it does looks a bit orangey yellow when it didn't before 🤔. A little bit of yellow on one end of the urate is ok, but you want at least 2/3 of it to be white or cream colored. All yellow and orange mean dehydration. It looks firm in consistency.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - He used to have mouth rot like a year ago but I took him to the vet and he's better now
How big is his enclosure?
What are your temps at basking and during the night?
Do you have live or fake plants?

8C12C5A9-2132-4EB1-803C-7987647513EB.jpeg
CDEEFE06-1631-4022-8766-75E180ECBF92.jpeg
13B44D2E-79FA-406C-B3B7-7689539A5E06.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom