DIYCAGES... Pretty Cool... Pretty Fast

DUSCRAFT

I just got my chameleon Cayman's new cage today from diycages.com... Amazingly fast! I ordered it around 3 days ago and it's already here and the FedEx shipping was free. I got the 24"x24"x48" cage and it seems pretty legit. I'll be putting it together tonight or tomorrow morning and I'll be posting pictures as well. But so far, so good. Seems to be sturdy and I will be making a small improvement to the bottom panel to keep it from leaking. So check back later and see if I've posted anything new.

Well we finished last night and it was sort of late so I waited till today to post about it... Not to mention I had to set up a fish tank for some Bala Sharks I'm getting in a few days ha ha.

Well, as far as the cage from DIYcages.com is concerned I'm very happy with how quickly they shipped it to me and all that jazz... With all the good things I have to say about it I'll just go ahead and cover the 3 bad things first.... First of all the instructions are non existent and even though it's a simple design and I use to work construction... But if you were a novice at building things you may get slightly frustrated. You can get their "instructions" on their site. Second thing is that it's a slightly flimsy wire mesh and was shipped with some micro holes. Nothing that a cricket could get through... But a design flaw none the less. The third complaint is the flooring... A piece of plastic that just sits on the bottom with no lip?!?! Come on! Really?!?! Ha ha. I made a slight mod with some plastic paneling and some advanced adhesive and weather proof calk to create a sort of tray to catch the water. I don't want my moisture craving companion to dry out because his cage is ruining my house ha ha.

But apart from those minor things I live the cage. Now I have a 24"x24"x48" wire cage, a 100W heat lamp above the canopy, an 18" fluorescent Repti-Glo 5.0 UVB fixture (both set to a 8am-8pm timer), a dracaena plant (it's been cleaned and re-soiled), a bunch of sticks, vines and hanging leaves, The Little Dripper system that drips into a small pool (which is emptied regularly), stones are placed over the soil so that he or the crickets can't ingest it and some yummy gut loaded crickets... He better be happy in his new mansion ha ha. Below are some pics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305158792.561852.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305158812.346244.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305158834.243554.jpg

Got my 1st DIY yesterday I agree about the fast shipping I LOVE THAT... I appreciate our sponsors, but must say it takes FOREVER to get my supplies from CA!!! LONG TIME........ DIY is the best by far and the craftsmanship on their products is phenomenal :cool:;):p O forgot to add shipping is not outrageous!!!

I must say love the set up, but you don’t need the rocks on the bottom of the cage they only need to be around the soil in your potted plants;) Also add moor Horizontal branches. sorry for the critique you did an awesome job!

Thanks for that input! It all helps ha ha. I will try and get some dow rods and make more perches for him.

wait, why is your little dripper inside the cage at the bottom?

you want it on top of the cage, dripping onto your plants/leaves.

you also probably dont want the bacteria/drowning pool in there. position the dripper to drip onto other things.

agree with more horizontals also.

is the cage sitting on the ground? raise it up onto something. chameleons feel safe when higher up than predators aka you, dogs, cats, midgets, children...

You know I had ordered one of my parrots a new wrought iron cage from CA and it took 3 weeks to get here....ugh! Then I ordered the Cricket Crack from Steve and I got it in a few days...super fast! I think it depends on the way the distributor ships things on how fast you get it. I hope to get my screen cage fast!
Got my 1st DIY yesterday I agree about the fast shipping I LOVE THAT... I appreciate our sponsors, but must say it takes FOREVER to get my supplies from CA!!! LONG TIME........ DIY is the best by far and the craftsmanship on their products is phenomenal :cool:;):p O forgot to add shipping is not outrageous!!!

wait, why is your little dripper inside the cage at the bottom?

you want it on top of the cage, dripping onto your plants/leaves.

you also probably dont want the bacteria/drowning pool in there. position the dripper to drip onto other things.

agree with more horizontals also.

is the cage sitting on the ground? raise it up onto something. chameleons feel safe when higher up than predators aka you, dogs, cats, midgets, children...

Agree with all these comments. Good catch on the dripper - I didn't even see that until you mentioned it! Looks like the dripper is dripping into that little dish - that is not going to work for a chameleon. They do not recognize standing water and do not go to the ground to drink. They drink dew and rain drops where they pool on leaves up in the trees so you need the dripper to be on top of the cage and dripping onto leaves inside the cage. Chams see the dripping water through the foliage and that's part of how they're stimulated to drink. You don't want any standing water in the cage at all.

I will put it on the top and let it drip down the plant. I didn't realize that about it being in the bottom. The cage is actually up on a 4ft tall table and in a room we don't frequent too often for privacy.

Back
Top Bottom