division wall in cage

larrodinero

Hi, I currently have one large terrarium for my male and female Veiled Chams! From the information I have gathered here I have learned I need to separate them so I have decided to put a division wall in the middle and make two separate doors! Should I make it so they can't see each other with the division wall or is a screen wall ok? Thanks for any help!

Hi, I currently have one large terrarium for my male and female Veiled Chams! From the information I have gathered here I have learned I need to separate them so I have decided to put a division wall in the middle and make two separate doors! Should I make it so they can't see each other with the division wall or is a screen wall ok? Thanks for any help!

Hello, the answer to your question is so they cant see each other, from what i have read, chameleons are solitary animals and seeing one another produces stress, they only time they can be togheter is to mate, good luck

Sana

You don't really want them to see eachother. And how big is the large terrarium? Once you split it in half it may not be large enough for the two. Unless it's a huge cage you are probably better off just getting another cage

Thank you Sanababit and to answer your question distortionz it's very large 80"x48"x30" deep! I was thinking they shouldn't see each other but wanted to make sure! Ty again!:)

Added the divider to split the cage! Looks good, all I have yo do not is rebuild the face and make two doors instead of the one! It's easier to keep the humidity up now too! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 173
Added the divider to split the cage! Looks good, all I have yo do not is rebuild the face and make two doors instead of the one! It's easier to keep the humidity up now too! :D

Very nice enclosure. You may want to add more vines and branches higher up and throughout. Chameleons spend the majority of their lives off the ground.

Very nice enclosure. You may want to add more vines and branches higher up and throughout. Chameleons spend the majority of their lives off the ground.

Lol, good eyes! I took this picture before I added the sticks and vines! And before I put the face on! I'll take another picture!
And thanks for the complaments!

Nice work. It appears the top of the divider wall is open. That will not work for a visual barrier if there are vines and branches added in the upper area.

CHEERS!:D

Nick

Nice work. It appears the top of the divider wall is open. That will not work for a visual barrier if there are vines and branches added in the upper area.

CHEERS!:D

Nick

Yes, I have that open for more air flow, the sticks and vines do not go up that high! They only go up two thirds of the way! Plus the lights are up there to light up both sides!

Here it is with the sticks and vines, just have yo rebuild the face with two doors to accommodate both sides!:)

Attachments

• 20141210_190028.jpg
    20141210_190028.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 20141210_185946.jpg
    20141210_185946.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20141210_185931.jpg
    20141210_185931.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 121
Looks really nice! One word about keeping the vines lower in the cage. I see this often as an attempt to keep the chameleon in the range for optimal temp with a fixed light but it always backfires. When they cant get any higher they will climb whatever they have to in order to get to the top screen. This wil put them at the topmost point in the cage, usually right under the basking light where it is probably warmer than they would normally want. It is better to fill the enclosure all the way to the top with climbing opportunities and move the light up to reach an optimal temp. You will need to close off the vented top for a better visual barrier. Any spot left to opportunity will be used to view the other chameleon. I see it all the time with adult male panthers, even in the bottom 2 inches between cages. hope this helps.

Looks really nice! One word about keeping the vines lower in the cage. I see this often as an attempt to keep the chameleon in the range for optimal temp with a fixed light but it always backfires. When they cant get any higher they will climb whatever they have to in order to get to the top screen. This wil put them at the topmost point in the cage, usually right under the basking light where it is probably warmer than they would normally want. It is better to fill the enclosure all the way to the top with climbing opportunities and move the light up to reach an optimal temp. You will need to close off the vented top for a better visual barrier. Any spot left to opportunity will be used to view the other chameleon. I see it all the time with adult male panthers, even in the bottom 2 inches between cages. hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice, I always want advise or any help! As of right now, the highest branches are only 10" under the basking lights! I can't raise the lights any higher and don't want the sticks higher so I can avoid my chams from getting burned! They both seem very content with the heights of their basking branches so far and my wife is home all day to keep an eye on them! Once again, I am not arguing or saying I know better than you, thanks and please keep feeding any advice possible to me! Thank you my friend!:)

Back
Top Bottom