Dimming Thermostat and why I love it!

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
So recently @SharpShooter posted about these. I had no idea they existed. As a new keeper I was consistently adjusting my dimming heat fixture to keep my guy at the appropriate 85 degrees. This stressed me out to no end and to the point where I cancelled a work trip. You see the ambient temp of my house changes dramatically over the course of a day. So if the ambient temp goes up your chams enclosure level goes up with it and your basking fixture is still producing the same amount of heat output making it even hotter.
I would find temp jumps to 94 degrees on warm sunny days and when we would have to run the heat I would see the same issues. Therefor I was essentially baking Beman. Which is no bueno. So again I was always checking his basking temp and making adjustments.

I just got my dimming thermostat and have been using it for 24 hours. I am pretty much absolutely in love with this product. It give me total peace of mind as a keeper knowing that his heat level is perfect. They are a bit pricey but in my opinion I think they are a must have for any new keeper. I think they are just as important as having a mist king or proper UVB. While we can control the amount of heat that comes from a basking fixture with wattage we can not always control what the ambient air temp is.

So this is how they work... You set the thermostat to the max temp you want it at. With your basking fixture hooked into the thermostat it controls the light and the wattage that it produces. So it dims up and down to keep it at the consistent temp you set it to. Just like a dimming light fixture in your house would work. It has a probe that you put at the basking level that it reads the temperature from.

There are two that I found that are dimming thermostats and had really good reviews and features. You want to read the description of what they offer first. I chose to spend a little extra money and get the Herpstat2 because it will control 2 devices should I need it. Make sure you buy the better ones because the cheaper ones are either on/off thermostats or pulse thermostats. From my reading they are designed to use with things like heat pads for reptile tanks and Ceramic heat emitters. The Dimming ones are specifically designed to use with basking bulbs.
Herpstat
Vivarium Electronics

Ok well yall have a wonderful day! I know I will since I don't have to worry about checking temps all day :p

My ambient temperature is extremely stable at my current place, but when I move I'll most likely be getting a thermostat. Quite possibly sooner, given that my next build is in a glass ExoTerra. I'm sure they're a big relief, especially for anyone that experiences frequent temperature changes in the house!

My ambient temperature is extremely stable at my current place, but when I move I'll most likely be getting a thermostat. Quite possibly sooner, given that my next build is in a glass ExoTerra. I'm sure they're a big relief, especially for anyone that experiences frequent temperature changes in the house!
Yeah I am so relieved that I have this now. I walk by and glance at his temp and it is at a perfect 84.9. I just love that it takes me out of the equation. I think because I work from home I was seeing how extreme the fluctuations are with heat. I just had no idea I could purchase something like this. I am very grateful for the information being posted.
Now his enclosure is 100% automated and I have total peace of mind knowing that it is perfect for him.

So recently @SharpShooter posted about these. I had no idea they existed. As a new keeper I was consistently adjusting my dimming heat fixture to keep my guy at the appropriate 85 degrees. This stressed me out to no end and to the point where I cancelled a work trip. You see the ambient temp of my house changes dramatically over the course of a day. So if the ambient temp goes up your chams enclosure level goes up with it and your basking fixture is still producing the same amount of heat output making it even hotter.
I would find temp jumps to 94 degrees on warm sunny days and when we would have to run the heat I would see the same issues. Therefor I was essentially baking Beman. Which is no bueno. So again I was always checking his basking temp and making adjustments.

I just got my dimming thermostat and have been using it for 24 hours. I am pretty much absolutely in love with this product. It give me total peace of mind as a keeper knowing that his heat level is perfect. They are a bit pricey but in my opinion I think they are a must have for any new keeper. I think they are just as important as having a mist king or proper UVB. While we can control the amount of heat that comes from a basking fixture with wattage we can not always control what the ambient air temp is.

So this is how they work... You set the thermostat to the max temp you want it at. With your basking fixture hooked into the thermostat it controls the light and the wattage that it produces. So it dims up and down to keep it at the consistent temp you set it to. Just like a dimming light fixture in your house would work. It has a probe that you put at the basking level that it reads the temperature from.

There are two that I found that are dimming thermostats and had really good reviews and features. You want to read the description of what they offer first. I chose to spend a little extra money and get the Herpstat2 because it will control 2 devices should I need it. Make sure you buy the better ones because the cheaper ones are either on/off thermostats or pulse thermostats. From my reading they are designed to use with things like heat pads for reptile tanks and Ceramic heat emitters. The Dimming ones are specifically designed to use with basking bulbs.
Herpstat
Vivarium Electronics

Ok well yall have a wonderful day! I know I will since I don't have to worry about checking temps all day :p
Really glad you're a new convert and you can relax now with even more automation.

Now if we can automate gut loading and feeding...........

A dimming thermostat should be a must have item for all reptile heat sources. Hopefully @Beman will be spreading the word far and wide now.

Really glad you're a new convert and you can relax now with even more automation.

Now if we can automate gut loading and feeding...........

A dimming thermostat should be a must have item for all reptile heat sources. Hopefully @Beman will be spreading the word far and wide now.
I am just sooooo thankful to you for posting about it. I absolutely agree that it is a must have. I will be singing its praises to all that will listen lol. I can finally relax and leave the house without worrying about his temps and know that he is safe from thermal burns.

I'm glad it worked for you and I think it can be very beneficial, but I also like the idea of having slightly different temperatures day by day like it would in the wild. Burns don't come from ambient heat, they come from improper basking bulbs

Edit: not sure if they can change temperature throughout the day/days? That would be really cool. Probably unnecessary, but i enjoy that kind of stuff.

I'm glad it worked for you and I think it can be very beneficial, but I also like the idea of having slightly different temperatures day by day like it would in the wild. Burns don't come from ambient heat, they come from improper basking bulbs

Edit: not sure if they can change temperature throughout the day/days? That would be really cool. Probably unnecessary, but i enjoy that kind of stuff.
It's not just burns James, it's simply the ability to automate another part of our husbandry. They won't stay bang on the sweat spot but keep it close +/- a degree.

If you want to vary the temps, which I agree with as a natural approach, simply dial it up or down and walk away.

To my mind, it's an insurance policy that prevents extremes at either end of the required scale.

I do think they should be a must have item for new keepers though, many of whom struggle with temps as we see so often.

I won't be without a stat on any of 8 heated enclosures. In fact our BRB has 2, one for a heat matt and one for the ceramic heat emitter.

It's not just burns James, it's simply the ability to automate another part of our husbandry. They won't stay bang on the sweat spot but keep it close +/- a degree.

If you want to vary the temps, which I agree with as a natural approach, simply dial it up or down and walk away.

To my mind, it's an insurance policy that prevents extremes at either end of the required scale.

I do think they should be a must have item for new keepers though, many of whom struggle with temps as we see so often.

I won't be without a stat on any of 8 heated enclosures. In fact our BRB has 2, one for a heat matt and one for the ceramic heat emitter.

Well, I can see where you're coming from with new keepers using them among anyone else that wants one. Down the road I may grab one as well when i have some $ to spare. I personally never have to adjust my basking spot though, and that's even with a montane species in a poorly insulated room. Summer reaches up to 90s, winter down to high 40s. When it's hot they just don't bask. The temp still drops at night enough to cool off, paired with morning and evening mistings.

So I am absolutely 100% all in on dimming thermostats being an amazing way to insure temps and reduce the risk of burns. I really do believe that they are a must have tool for a new keeper.

With myself being a new keeper and only having 5 months experience it was the one area that I struggled with. I have about 6 different bulb types that I have bought over the past 5 months. From 60 watt to 100 watt and incandescent regular bulbs to spot basking bulbs.

My veiled is stubborn as heck and will just sit in the heat no matter how far it would shoot up. My first few weeks as a keeper I always thought ok he will move out of the heat. Not once in the 5 months would he move out of the heat he would sit there gape and take it.

I bought a dimming fixture a month into having him once I learned of their existence. So this was a bit of an upgrade at least I could dial the temp up or down accordingly. I had already bought 3 different bulbs by this point trying to find the sweet spot. I had my wired temp gauge at his basking so I knew exactly what the temp was at any time. This worked for the most part but still I had to be present to adjust it.

At that point he was still in his 16x16x30 starter cage and I was waiting on his new 24x30x48 dragon strand clearside. In the small cage he was not even close to the ceiling where the ambient heat builds up. So the temp with the dimming thermostat would stay more regular without too much adjustment.
Once I got the new enclosure it was in the top 24 inches of the ceiling and then when we moved to a different apt without vaulted ceilings it was about a 12 inch drop to the top of the cage. Putting his basking level in the ambient air at the ceiling where it was its hottest.

This was where I had the most difficulty in keeping his temp steady at 84-85 degrees. If the heat came on it would shoot up to 95 degrees in a matter of minutes. Or if it was sunny out the same thing would happen just not as quickly.

I can see where a dimming thermostat would work well for others because most people don't have a designated room that they can regulate the ambient temp to. Like me their cages are often in a main living area or bedroom.

Also it takes the guess work out of knowing what your temp is because the probe gets placed at the basking site.
We see it all the time here where people are using a 100 watt bulb but have no real idea what their basking temp is because they are using the dial temp readers in say the upper corner of the back of the cage. So no where near the basking site. Also as a new keeper it was a learning process for me to figure out where proper placement of thermometers should be. Same with hydrometers since if they get sprayed directly then it alters their actual reading.

I agree these are expensive but since a lot of health issues are tied into improper heating -/+ in temps I think it is just as important as any other item that is considered a must have. For some new keepers they will spare no expense for their cham the same way I did. At 2k in his enclosure is now entirely automated and customized for his species needs. Should I need to leave for the day or weekend I have total piece of mind that he is totally safe and that everything is working as it should. Taking the stress off of my family as well who would rather not have to mess with the workings of his enclosure.

My hope is that this thread will help future keepers that are struggling as I was to get this husbandry point worked out.

I take your word for it I'm not arguing that. Just hesitant to call it a "must have". In your situation it was, but that doesn't mean every newcomer needs to spend $150+? on something that's probably not necessary. I don't know about saying there's tons of people with heat problems. I don't see that often, the only thing I seem to see is burns. And that's from using the wrong basking bulb or too closely. Having a high ambient temp is another issue. You could burn a chameleon, maybe even easier, with a cold room.

I take your word for it I'm not arguing that. Just hesitant to call it a "must have". In your situation it was, but that doesn't mean every newcomer needs to spend $150+? on something that's probably not necessary. I don't know about saying there's tons of people with heat problems. I don't see that often, the only thing I seem to see is burns. And that's from using the wrong basking bulb or too closely. Having a high ambient temp is another issue. You could burn a chameleon, maybe even easier, with a cold room.
Ok it was a must have for me and anyone with similar issues to mine :hilarious:

Less than 50, unless u want posh ones.

would a on/off thermostat work? i want to get the dimming one but cant afford it right now wanted to know if i can get the ones that just turn off with the temp to high or on when the temp too low for my chameleon

would a on/off thermostat work? i want to get the dimming one but cant afford it right now wanted to know if i can get the ones that just turn off with the temp to high or on when the temp too low for my chameleon
Yes it would work but think of it in a different perspective with a dimming thermostat you would have a constant basking temperature. And with a thermostat that turns on and off all day would you like that if you were stuck in a bedroom with someone 12 hours a day flicking on and of your light switch? It might not be that big of a deal but just a thought. You can try a different route and get a Flucker’s dimming clamp lamp and just fine tune it that way. Or just save up for the Herpstat.

@FupaLord117 The dimming one is really nice because it just dims down to adjust for the temp. The on/off ones are used more for heat pads that you use on reptile tanks. Otherwise it will constantly kick off and on. You also have to make sure that you get one that works with incandescent or halogen bulbs because some on/offs do not.

Yes it would work but think of it in a different perspective with a dimming thermostat you would have a constant basking temperature. And with a thermostat that turns on and off all day would you like that if you were stuck in a bedroom with someone 12 hours a day flicking on and of your light switch? It might not be that big of a deal but just a thought. You can try a different route and get a Flucker’s dimming clamp lamp and just fine tune it that way. Or just save up for the Herpstat.
Yeah if your not dealing with major ambient temp changes do to your home then the fluckers dimming lamp is awesome.

You don't want the light going on and off, just adjusting itself as required. You can get basic dimming stats such as Habbistat for under £50. They have a simple dial on them to adjust the temp and work really well.

I found out this week that the newer Microclimate stats that are digital displays have an issue with T5 HO lights. They are aware of it. It doesn't affect their simpler ones with a good old fashioned dial.

Get the basic models, put you probe at the basking spot and you won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom