Dimming Thermostat and why I love it!

You don't want the light going on and off, just adjusting itself as required. You can get basic dimming stats such as Habbistat for under £50. They have a simple dial on them to adjust the temp and work really well.

I found out this week that the newer Microclimate stats that are digital displays have an issue with T5 HO lights. They are aware of it. It doesn't affect their simpler ones with a good old fashioned dial.

Get the basic models, put you probe at the basking spot and you won't be disappointed.

Do you know of a US supplier on those? Last I looked for them they were only being sold in the UK. Cheapest I could find for the US is the exo terra one but there wasn't/ isn't a lot of info from eu's that I could find.

Do you know of a US supplier on those? Last I looked for them they were only being sold in the UK. Cheapest I could find for the US is the exo terra one but there wasn't/ isn't a lot of info from eu's that I could find.
I don't I'm afraid. I assumed they were available everywhere. Surely there must be a similar option for you guys. If you want one, I'd be happy to post if it helps.

I never really needed anything like this, my room always stays a consistent temperature.
It has nothing directly to do with the ambient temp in your room.

It is there to maintain a set temprature wherever the probe is placed. This would normally be at the basking spot and prevents any excess of heat or indeed stops it dropping too low.

Please try to understand the function before commenting. That's like saying you don't need a basking light because your room is always hot.

I don't I'm afraid. I assumed they were available everywhere. Surely there must be a similar option for you guys. If you want one, I'd be happy to post if it helps.

As far as I could find a few months ago the microclimate's and habistats are uk only now. From what I could find back then we have the 600w exo, herpstat and v.e. for our options as far as commercially available dimming.

As far as I could find a few months ago the microclimate's and habistats are uk only now. From what I could find back then we have the 600w exo, herpstat and v.e. for our options as far as commercially available dimming.
Whats the cost on the exo for you? Again, its under the £50 mark here. The Herpstats are great, especially for multi setups with additional probes. But, that's when they get more expensive.

Whats the cost on the exo for you? Again, its under the £50 mark here. The Herpstats are great, especially for multi setups with additional probes. But, that's when they get more expensive.

Depends where you order from. I've seen between $40 and $70 on it lately. It's the lack of end user reviews on it that's kept me from them though tbh.

So a little update to this. I still absolutely love having a dimming thermostat for my basking fixture. I can not tell you how wonderful it is not to have to constantly adjust the fixture to the right temp during the day when the ambient temp of the room changes.

Now that we are hitting summer I am even more please with it. While the room may be 76-78 degrees when you get up to the ceiling it is hitting 85 and higher. So since this is where his basking level is hitting in the highest temps of the room having a basking fixture bake him is not a good thing.

This thermostat is amazing... I have it set to dim down at 85 degrees since the probe is hooked on the basking branch this gives me about a 3 inch rise where Beman sits above it and is getting 87-89 degrees with the heat gun. I watched non stop the last 2 days and the dimming thermostat works beautifully. As soon as it registers the 85 degrees from the ambient temp climbing it dims down and then goes into a sleep mode.

So totally worth the money! If this is a worry for you then I highly recommend getting a dimming thermostat.

So a little update to this. I still absolutely love having a dimming thermostat for my basking fixture. I can not tell you how wonderful it is not to have to constantly adjust the fixture to the right temp during the day when the ambient temp of the room changes.

Now that we are hitting summer I am even more please with it. While the room may be 76-78 degrees when you get up to the ceiling it is hitting 85 and higher. So since this is where his basking level is hitting in the highest temps of the room having a basking fixture bake him is not a good thing.

This thermostat is amazing... I have it set to dim down at 85 degrees since the probe is hooked on the basking branch this gives me about a 3 inch rise where Beman sits above it and is getting 87-89 degrees with the heat gun. I watched non stop the last 2 days and the dimming thermostat works beautifully. As soon as it registers the 85 degrees from the ambient temp climbing it dims down and then goes into a sleep mode.

So totally worth the money! If this is a worry for you then I highly recommend getting a dimming thermostat.
I know it’s kinda self explanatory but can you post a pic of where you mounted your probe?

I know it’s kinda self explanatory but can you post a pic of where you mounted your probe?
Of course happy to. So I have the probe for the thermostat and a secondary zoo med temp gauge tied into the same spot... Yes, I am a paranoid Helicopter Cham parent lol. But this way I have a secondary way to check. The probe for my herpstat dimming thermostat is much more accurate then the zoo med as the zoo med always registers 2 degrees hotter. Anyways the metal probe is from the herpstat. I have this hooked in so it is on top of the branch.

1st pic of the probe and the next two show how I have my fixture angled so he is actually getting uvb and heat when basking.

IMG_3369.JPG

lighting3.JPG

lighting1.JPG

Of course happy to. So I have the probe for the thermostat and a secondary zoo med temp gauge tied into the same spot... Yes, I am a paranoid Helicopter Cham parent lol. But this way I have a secondary way to check. The probe for my herpstat dimming thermostat is much more accurate then the zoo med as the zoo med always registers 2 degrees hotter. Anyways the metal probe is from the herpstat. I have this hooked in so it is on top of the branch.

1st pic of the probe and the next two show how I have my fixture angled so he is actually getting uvb and heat when basking.

View attachment 235784

View attachment 235785

View attachment 235786
Thanks so much! You also gave me a great idea for mounting the basking lamp (y)

Look at Beman all, "sup! Yeah I'm spoiled rotten! Just wait until Bahari gets here. This lady will do anything for us. I'm trying to convince her to buy us a rainforest but...."

Thanks so much! You also gave me a great idea for mounting the basking lamp (y)
Your welcome! Here is what I use for the basking lamp. You will need to line the plate for it that attaches to the side and drill holes in it then use self tapping screws to hook it on to your frame then it is 100% secure. I love it. And it works awesome with a clamp lamp. Here are some more pics as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D1BUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

basking hooked in2.JPG

basking hooked in3.JPG

Look at Beman all, "sup! Yeah I'm spoiled rotten! Just wait until Bahari gets here. This lady will do anything for us. I'm trying to convince her to buy us a rainforest but...."
Hey now we know I have issues... I can't help myself. I want them to have the best since they have to be caged lol. My boys are spoiled. I am on pins and needles waiting for Bahari's cage to get here so I can get it set up and have him here with us.

I loved using these for under tank heating. Just put the probe on the pad and be done.

I did have 2 problems with these:
1) they do not work with halogens. Well no halogen works with a dimmer, no mater how fancy. They end up running too cool and the halogen cycle doesnt start, and you end up with a black bulb with a short life.
2) they have a HUGE resistor in them that gets very hot. Its only a few watts, but a few watts into a single resistor, that has no cooling, is not good. I ended up having to replace and resolder the resistor after a few years. And i modified it with a few air holes. But then you have splash problems :(

Hey now we know I have issues... I can't help myself. I want them to have the best since they have to be caged lol. My boys are spoiled. I am on pins and needles waiting for Bahari's cage to get here so I can get it set up and have him here with us.
If you could though... you would so buy them their own rainforest lol. As long as they wore GPS trackers and satellite remote cameras that showed their faces like a Paranormal Reality TV show you would. You sooo soooo would lol.

View attachment 235784

View attachment 235785

View attachment 235786
Mines exactly the same Becca. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom