Different Breeds

Veiled Cham101

Okay so I have Rex, my year old male veiled chameleon. I bought a new 2-3 month old female jackson chameleon. I plan to breed them in the future but I have some questions.

1. Is it safe for the female jackson chameleon?

2. Will the babies be born live or in eggs?

3. Will the babies have birth defeats?

4. What breed will the babies be?

5. Is it possible to breed them?

I have these questions because I know female jackson chameleons give live birth while other chameleons lay eggs. I just want to make sure everything will be okay. A professional breeder will be with me to help me breed them later if it is safe.

Okay so I have Rex, my year old male veiled chameleon. I bought a new 2-3 month old female jackson chameleon. I plan to breed them in the future but I have some questions.

1. Is it safe for the female jackson chameleon?

2. Will the babies be born live or in eggs?

3. Will the babies have birth defeats?

4. What breed will the babies be?

I have these questions because I know female jackson chameleons give live birth while other chameleons lay eggs. I just want to make sure everything will be okay. A professional breeder will be with me to help me breed them later.

They are too genetically different to have babies. And I wouldn't say they are a professional breeder if they said you could cross the two IMO

Yeah, they are not only different species - they are different genus too. It is not possible to breed a Trioceros jacksonii with a Chamaeleo calyptratus.

I didn't say we would cross the two. I meant that if it was safe, we could cross the two if possible. I'll go edit that.

Sorry I must have read it wrong :/ but the veiled Chamaeleo genu while the Jackson is trioceros so it wouldn't wouldn't e possible. But it would be kinda cool to see a veiled with horns

Lol, these questions never stop coming up do they?

It would be cool. I want to cross a crocodile with an eagle and have myself a pet Dragon :cool:

a croc and an eagle doesnt male a dragon:p

its an iguana and a eagle; crocs are to big flat and aquatic. learn your cross breeding :D:):D

a croc and an eagle doesnt male a dragon:p

its an iguana and a eagle; crocs are to big flat and aquatic. learn your cross breeding :D:):D

But I want a big flat Dragon, with more armour than an Iguana (and bigger teeth :D)
Surely the eagles flying power will cancel out the Crocs aquatic nature - that's how genetics works, right?

There's no consistent taxonimic level at which hybridization becomes infeasible. If we consider a ring species we see members of the same species which do not interbreed. However, in other pairings it is possible to get viable offspring (in some cases fertile offspring) from intergeneric (i.e., different genera) and even rare interfamilial (e.g., some guinea fowl hybrids) crosses.

It seems unlikely that these two species would produce viable offspring, but certainly isn't impossible. Either way, taxonomy is a very poor predictor of the potential for hybridization. Countless closely related species cannot hybridize whereas many species which are more distantly related can.

cj

There's no consistent taxonimic level at which hybridization becomes infeasible. If we consider a ring species we see members of the same species which do not interbreed. However, in other pairings it is possible to get viable offspring (in some cases fertile offspring) from intergeneric (i.e., different genera) and even rare interfamilial (e.g., some guinea fowl hybrids) crosses.

It seems unlikely that these two species would produce viable offspring, but certainly isn't impossible. Either way, taxonomy is a very poor predictor of the potential for hybridization. Countless closely related species cannot hybridize whereas many species which are more distantly related can.

cj

True that, I guess I really over-simplified :) Just using the taxonomy was a bad example, thanks for clearing it up.

Back
Top Bottom