Designing a new enclosure for Veiled cham

Boollah

I still debating whether to buy a dragonstrand enclosure or build one instead, but in the meantime I designed this DIY enclosure on Google Sketchup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
1618345726286.png

Left is cage and door frame, right is with screen (the screen on the floor wouldn't attach in Sketchup for some reason so it's just sitting there lol

1618345812166.png

This is the stand. I'll likely add some supports between each of the legs. Also, possibly 2 straps going across the center because I'd like to have a drain pan sitting on the stand sandwiched between the bottom of the cage screen and the stand.

Also, a couple side questions:
- should I coat the aluminum screen with anything to prevent it from rusting? like paint that's heat and water resistant?
- would wood stain be safe for the cham (after it cures obviously)? I was planning on using a semi-transparent waterproof deck stain on the wood

What dimensions are you thinking about? If it´s just the same as the DS cage, I won´t do the effort pioneering for creating one on your own. Because, personally I think those are best commercial cages and you won´t be much cheaper. On the other hand, if you´re planning for other dimensions, especially bigger, this is great. Regarding the screen I would stay with the ones used in commercial cages, you won´t need to treat it with anything. In principal aluminium won´t rust, it least not in the same way as steel would, therewith coating isn´t directly needed.

DIY is always more rewarding. At least when things go wrong you can blame yourself instead of someone else and say you could have done it better for cheaper.

They sell coated window screen do I'd just go that route.

Also, a couple side questions:
- should I coat the aluminum screen with anything to prevent it from rusting?
No. Aluminum doesn't rust.

- would wood stain be safe for the cham (after it cures obviously)? I was planning on using a semi-transparent waterproof deck stain on the wood
I'm not familiar with that particular product, but generally, staining and then sealing with polyurethane works out very well. Allow the stain to dry/cure completely before applying the urethane, then allow that to dry/cure completely. These products will dry/cure faster in warmer-dryer conditions than cooler/damper conditions.

If you can smell anything, it's not completely dry/cured.

Unless this intended to be an outdoor enclosure, water based stain & urethane will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom