Decisions😥

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So after all the people suggested I get a fecal done on Poseidon, I called around. Today Poseidon didnt eat and I realized I've been putting it off too long. I have an appointment on Friday and the closest vet says they cant do a fecal unless I bring him in🙄 so I'm really worried bc I know how stressful this is going to be on his little heart🙁 wish us luck

So after all the people suggested I get a fecal done on Poseidon, I called around. Today Poseidon didnt eat and I realized I've been putting it off too long. I have an appointment on Friday and the closest vet says they cant do a fecal unless I bring him in🙄 so I'm really worried bc I know how stressful this is going to be on his little heart🙁 wish us luck
Just do not allow them to give any dewormer until the fecal comes back... You want to know if the test is positive first and you want to make sure if it is positive that they treat with the right med for the parasite.

More then likely all will be fine. I transport mine in a box so it is dark with a branch for them to grip. They sleep the 20-30 minute drive there and back. I think Beman gets more annoyed about getting back out of the box when we get there and when we get home since he sleeps lol.

Just do not allow them to give any dewormer until the fecal comes back... You want to know if the test is positive first and you want to make sure if it is positive that they treat with the right med for the parasite.

More then likely all will be fine. I transport mine in a box so it is dark with a branch for them to grip. They sleep the 20-30 minute drive there and back. I think Beman gets more annoyed about getting back out of the box when we get there and when we get home since he sleeps lol.
Thanks for the tip, this is what I was going to use for him, will this be ok or is it too full?

Attachments

• 16111842263388143411112714395431.jpg
    16111842263388143411112714395431.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 61
Is there any way that you can cover the top and sides? Beman's box is dark when closed so her cham doesn't get too stressed out. When in the absence of light, chameleons will clock out. Transporting them in dark bins or boxes reduces the stress levels. The contents inside your bin is fine, but fastening a dowl or branch in the inside will allow your cham to feel safer and more secure. If you don't fasten a branch or that plant down, then your cham will most likely slide around the box when you stop, start, and make the inevitable u-turn.

Ideal Transport Box:
--Doesn't let in light. (Less stressful on cham)
--Secured Branch (best not to have a sliding cham)

thats strange since you can bring in a fresh fecal sample they should test that, if not don't worry you baby will just sleep when its dark

thats strange since you can bring in a fresh fecal sample they should test that, if not don't worry you baby will just sleep when its dark
Yeah they probably just wanted the extra $80 🙄 its 80 for the actual visit and another 20 for the fecal, not to mention if he has parasites (which unfortunately I have a bad feeling about) then I have to pay god only knows how much to treat them.

They can't legally prescribe a drug to an animal they haven't seen in the last year. Some will let you drop off the fecal but you would still have to have him seen to get the RX. Either way he had to be seen before or after.
Note: If your lights are good and you have kept to a generally accepted supplement schedule and gut load do not let them give your guy a "vitamin" injection. Some less experienced vets think everything has MBD. If you know your care is above par refuse the injection.

Ok so I found a shoe box, I plan on finding a twig of some sort, clean in, and put that in there
Make sure the twig/branch is secured. Like either poked through the box or wired to at least two points.
I line the bottom with egg crate. Sometimes they choose to hang out down on the bottom, I guess they feel they can get a good grip with their nails on the material.

Make sure the twig/branch is secured. Like either poked through the box or wired to at least two points.
I line the bottom with egg crate. Sometimes they choose to hang out down on the bottom, I guess they feel they can get a good grip with their nails on the material.
I will definitely try the egg crate on the bottom trick for sure, it sounds great!
Edit: do you mean egg carton flat or plastic egg crate? I’m going to try it with the egg carton flat

They can't legally prescribe a drug to an animal they haven't seen in the last year. Some will let you drop off the fecal but you would still have to have him seen to get the RX. Either way he had to be seen before or after.
Note: If your lights are good and you have kept to a generally accepted supplement schedule and gut load do not let them give your guy a "vitamin" injection. Some less experienced vets think everything has MBD. If you know your care is above par refuse the injection.
Thanks so much, I'm not sure how experienced this vet is, never taken a reptile before.

Thanks so much, I'm not sure how experienced this vet is, never taken a reptile before.
Anyone can do a fecal float. You can do a fecal float. You can buy mail order fecal floats (they dont care if its human poop dog poop, or lizard poop) for $10-20.

My vet will do a float for $10. Buts its always the big BUT in the room, they have had to see the animal in the last year...

But hey most of the time they do the float while you are there so you dont have to make a trip to pick up the script.

My vet does work with exotics. She will run a fecal without me bringing the boys in but if it pops a positive then she has to see them and get a current weight etc. But my vet does not run the fecal floats in house they send them all out to a lab. Which sucks because I have to wait longer takes anywhere from 3-5 days to get results back.

Back
Top Bottom