Database of chameleon body temperatures.

Solid Snake

Avid Member
I noticed when I started checking my animals body temperatures with a IR thermometer, that no matter what the ambient temp was that day, they would keep themselves at a very precise temperature, through thermoregulation.

I noticed they had a resting temp, and a max basking temp, specifically.

I dont have specific statistics, I didnt log them, and memory doesnt serve well enough to apply my readings here.

However, I think it would be a great experiment, one only a community like ours could execute, if everyone monitored and shared their readings. We could log it by species, and see if there are indeed common trends.

If any common trends do in fact show up, and I hypothesize they definitely will, it would be useful information in my opinion, which could then be added to the CCR.

If you would like to participate, and I know alot of you already have this information, please add it here.

Comments on the experiment are welcome also, as long as we stay on topic.

Ill volunteer to compress it all into a usable table if know one on the development team wants to.

Good idea brotha. I'll have to dig around, but I have about half of a notebook full of temps from b. thamnobates, some t. montium, some k. boehmei, and MAYBE merumontanous.

Im glad to see others think this would be beneficial.

Thanks for the feedback.

Very interesting idea. What exactly would we need to record and for how long?

What we need is, is for people to start monitoring their chams body temp with a temp gun throughout the day/as often as possible.

You might note whether the animal is being kept inside or out, the ambient temp at the time, and whether or not you consider the chameleon to be basking or not.

When mine were outside, it didnt seem to matter what the weather was like, they always remained within a degree or two of a certain temperature. I also noted a distinct temp for relaxed and basking. I did not monitor this as much when they were inside, as I didnt have my unit at that time.

You can share every bit of your log, or your ultimate findings in general.

A form could go something like this:

Species:

Sex:

Gravid:

Indoor/outdoor:

Ambient temperature at time of reading:

Basking/relaxed:

Body temperature reading:
If anyone has suggestions on that form, or anything else to do with this community experiment, please feel free to discuss.

What I would ultimately like to see, is a chart of information like this for every species:

(not actual figures)

Jacksonii xantholophus-
Average temp while relaxed: 83F/28C
Average temp while basking: 87F/30C
This way a keeper would know what to expect when they go to check their animals body temp. This may even be useful to discern health issues.

It may also shed light on temperature requirements to some extent.

I also think it would be interesting data, and it really just seems like something that should be common knowledge at this point.

I think it would be especially interesting if the same species, being kept all across the globe, dialed in to the exact same temp, or if every single animal is different, yet dialed in to their own temp.

I look forward to the conclusion of this project.

This is something every keeper could contribute to.

Perhaps a better way to coordinate this effort would be first to identify others with an IR temp gun, see what species they have and then talk to them directly about methods and results. I don't think the equipment is a common keeper necessity so many people cannot help collect data. Bumping the thread may not help much.

Perhaps a better way to coordinate this effort would be first to identify others with an IR temp gun, see what species they have and then talk to them directly about methods and results. I don't think the equipment is a common keeper necessity so many people cannot help collect data. Bumping the thread may not help much.

I agree, if you want to collect data, you need to do just that. I feel the information could be useful to some extent but you should start by posting your own results and observations if you want others to follow suit.

Also Not everyone has IR temp guns to measure their chams.. dont forget to mention the wide range of quality that exist between IR guns that could cause differences in readings.

I disagree.

I think the title of the post, and ensuing content speaks directly to the people who may be able to contribute to the effort.

I have a temp gun, but I dont have any chameleons at the moment.

Thus, I cannot post my own findings.

I feel that with proper scrutiny, and if enough data was presented, we could derive at usable information.

Species: T.Montium (3 different females)

Sex: Female

Gravid: No

Indoor/outdoor: Indoor

Ambient temperature at time of reading: Cage Frame (wood) Ir 76.0 / Digital Therm 74.7 / Room Thermostat is set to 75*

Basking/relaxed: Relaxed/cruising various places mid cage

Body temperature reading: 77.0-78.5

IR Device: Zilla 09790

-------------------

Species: T. Montium

Sex: Male

Gravid:

Indoor/outdoor: Indoor

Ambient temperature at time of reading: Cage Frame (wood) Ir 76.0 / Digital Therm 74.7 / Room Thermostat is set to 75*

Basking/relaxed: Relaxed/cruising various places mid cage

Body temperature reading: 78.5

Ir Device: Zilla 09790

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom