Dark spot on my Veiled chameleons back.

doesnt it has to be 5.0 ?

That is just an example of what you'll find as 'markings' on the side of a zoo med lamp. if he had a 5.0 it would say 5.0 in place of the 10.0 digits.

i dont think it was mentioned but it seems like you guys know what your talking about, so how do you know he has a case of mbd?

MBD is Metabolic Bone Disease. It is when the body doesn't have enough calcium in it's diet to keep functioning, so the body takes it from the bones. it's a survival thing.... the Paul takes from Peter to pay Mary... but the side affect is that the bones become weak and bend. you can see his casque is curving back instead of pointing up... his arms are bowing instead of straight. The limbs become weak and less dense and will break if the animal falls or from the animals own weight if the MBD goes long enough. It is a very very bad thing. :eek:

It is easy to avoid if you provide UVB,calcium, basking in direct sunlight a couple of hours a week, vitamin D3 added to diet for those animals that can't get outside.

Also do not forget to use a multivitamin such as herptivite once a month. Do not use it at the same time as calcium though. That day just dust with the multivitamin.

What was the outcome of this?? I recently changed my basking bulb from a exo-terra 100w to a zoomed 75w and now my cham has a slight mark on his back like the one in the photo. where the black spot is on his spine, and his skin has moved slightly.
during the day when he is his Darker color he still has color on his spine where the black spot is. but when he sleeps, its the same color as pictured on the cham above.

Back
Top Bottom