dandelion inside chameleon cage

dodolah

Retired Moderator
Heya All,
I decided to grow my own dandelion (the seeds are taken from the dandelions from my backyard).

The dandelion now has grown quite big. I was wondering if it's safe to just put the whole dandelion plants inside of the enclosure?
any problems that you can think of from having a dandelion inside of the chameleon enclosure?

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Chams, but Dandelion greens are excellent food for tortoises. So if it has the same nutrional value for torts, it may apply to Chams.

I can't think of a reason not to put it in there.

I don't use pesticides during the growing season, as I like to grow my veggies and fruit as organic as possible. So I let the dandelions grow in the garden, and pick them for the cham, and for the bunny. I just rinse and serve.

Dodolah, I've had a small crop of dandelions growing in my chams cages for about a year now with no problems whatsoever. I have one veiled that won't eat the greens but he eats the yellow flowers. The others take a bite or two every few days. The biggest advantage I've found is that the crickets love them. Either way, there getting inside my chameleons.

so just like those yellow ones in the grass outside? you can just pick them and let them eat them? crazy lol.
Yep, just the common dandelion. They have almost double the vitamins of any other green. Crickets will strip them in short order. Just throw a couple of leaves in your cricket keeper.

One thing you guys may want to be aware of is that dandelions are high in both vit A and potassium. These two vits are fat saluble so they can cause edema. I used to use some dry baby food for gutloading crix, then I had a cham develope a little bit of edema and I tracked it to the amount of potassium in the goatload, so just be careful.

-chris

Not to mention that noone really knows how many crickets it takes to eat a goat. :eek:

Quote.... "the amount of potassium in the goatload, so just be careful."

LOL Couldn' pass it up. :D

Kevin

I can never mess up things and have them come out funny like that. Whenever I spell them wrong I just look retarded. :confused:

Good night!

Kevin

Which part of the dandelions are you talking about? The greens or the flowers? If anybody doesn't want their dandelions, you can gladly send them to me. With all my tortoises, 1 acre of greens isn't enough. Needless to say, we still have 4 ft of snow on the ground and another 4" today!!Grrrrrrrr. We beat the all-time record set over 100 years ago for over 10 ft of snow. I can't wait till we move down south.

debby

Chamlover I think chams will eat both. I go to the organic store and pick up just the greens to feed my crix and the newly aquired ROACHES that my chams LOVE hahaha.

Dodolah just be sure your cham isnt pooping on them. Im sure youve already thought of that but I figured I would add this.

You can feed all parts to your cham. I don't know about the fuzzy seeds but the flowers and leaves are great. Two of my veileds seem to go after the unopened flower buds.

Back
Top Bottom