D3 vitamin question

Do you need to dust with D3 if I put my chameleon outside in the sun guy at petshop said I don't as long as he is in the sun
17000301748849166063329289422328.jpg

It depends on how much time he is outside. Unfortunately I don’t know how often and how long outside time is enough to not need supplemental D3. I’m sure someone who does know will have a good answer for you.

Well I would not use the supplement type you have there that one is not designed for chams. You want a multivitamin with D3 and A two times a month then a calcium without D3 at all other feedings. Repashy Calcium plus LoD version is the most common multivitamin for this.

Here is the thing... Oral D3 and D3 conversion from UVB bulbs or sun are both different from one another. A cham can overdose on too much oral D3. Even when my chams were getting outside time I still would supplement with D3 and A multivitamin 2 times a month. This is a back up to ensure they are getting what they need and I prefer to have a multivitamin with both A and D3 since they do need both of these and there is not enough info out there on if A and D3 work together or work separately the same.

People who keep chams outside year round will alter their supplementation but again this is based on exacts for their species and year round being outside. If your just taking a cham outside here and there then I would not remove oral D3 from the supplementation rotation.

Well I would not use the supplement type you have there that one is not designed for chams. You want a multivitamin with D3 and A two times a month then a calcium without D3 at all other feedings. Repashy Calcium plus LoD version is the most common multivitamin for this.

Here is the thing... Oral D3 and D3 conversion from UVB bulbs or sun are both different from one another. A cham can overdose on too much oral D3. Even when my chams were getting outside time I still would supplement with D3 and A multivitamin 2 times a month. This is a back up to ensure they are getting what they need and I prefer to have a multivitamin with both A and D3 since they do need both of these and there is not enough info out there on if A and D3 work together or work separately the same.

People who keep chams outside year round will alter their supplementation but again this is based on exacts for their species and year round being outside. If your just taking a cham outside here and there then I would not remove oral D3 from the supplementation rotation.
The problem I have is my chameleon is a flap neck chameleon so I don't know how often he should have a multivitamin I do give him that calcium but im not sure how many times I should give the multivitamin to him

Their care is similar to veileds. We have a care sheet here on the forums grouped together with Senegals and Gracefuls (which you already linked). Unfortunately not a lot of projects working with them due to their cheaper price and not very flashy.

Here is a nice read about the complex from Chris Anderson’s site:

http://www.chameleonnews.com/06SepDeckers.html
This is from one of your previous posts. I scanned thru the linked article and while it details lights and all, it neglects to mention supplementation.

The problem I have is my chameleon is a flap neck chameleon so I don't know how often he should have a multivitamin I do give him that calcium but im not sure how many times I should give the multivitamin to him
So refer back to this https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/flapneck/

It says a multi would be once every 2 weeks. So if your using a multivitamin like repashy calcium plus LoD version (has a jackson chameleon on the front) this would be used 2 times a month only and has D3 and other important vitamins. Then at all other feedings you would use calcium without D3. Remember all supplements are lightly dusted on every insect right before you feed them to the chameleon. They should not look like powdered donuts.

So refer back to this https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/flapneck/

It says a multi would be once every 2 weeks. So if your using a multivitamin like repashy calcium plus LoD version (has a jackson chameleon on the front) this would be used 2 times a month only and has D3 and other important vitamins. Then at all other feedings you would use calcium without D3. Remember all supplements are lightly dusted on every insect right before you feed them to the chameleon. They should not look like powdered donuts.
Ok thanks you I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow and I'll get those things

Hello a couple of things i want to bring to your attention about the hazards of going out into the sun everyday. First, if you put your cham in a tree or bush, dont leave. We have had members here on this forum loose their chams by quick birds snatching them. Next, i rescued a female panther that the owners thought was egg bound, so they put her outside in the sun in texas with no shade so they didnt have to watch her die. someone thankfully grabbed her and eventually she got to me. The sunburn was so bad that the top half of one eye lid was black and she is peach colored. i do not know how much direct sun caused her burns. the necropsy, verified by vet, had me worried the most. If she lost part of the eye lid, the eye would have to go and then maybe her life. Its been over a year now and many many moltings And a lot of tender care but the black is gone! there is quite a bit of scar tissue and she will sit with her eyes closed but not as much as she used to. vet said maybe painful to keep them open too much. My point is i have no idea how long they can withstand direct sun so be aware. I usually take walks with each cham seperately on my arm and make sure we stop in shaded areas a lot. also i always keep a hand on them in case a hungry bird gets brave! just wanted you to be aware of other dangers out there.. Best to you and your cham

Hello a couple of things i want to bring to your attention about the hazards of going out into the sun everyday. First, if you put your cham in a tree or bush, dont leave. We have had members here on this forum loose their chams by quick birds snatching them. Next, i rescued a female panther that the owners thought was egg bound, so they put her outside in the sun in texas with no shade so they didnt have to watch her die. someone thankfully grabbed her and eventually she got to me. The sunburn was so bad that the top half of one eye lid was black and she is peach colored. i do not know how much direct sun caused her burns. the necropsy, verified by vet, had me worried the most. If she lost part of the eye lid, the eye would have to go and then maybe her life. Its been over a year now and many many moltings And a lot of tender care but the black is gone! there is quite a bit of scar tissue and she will sit with her eyes closed but not as much as she used to. vet said maybe painful to keep them open too much. My point is i have no idea how long they can withstand direct sun so be aware. I usually take walks with each cham seperately on my arm and make sure we stop in shaded areas a lot. also i always keep a hand on them in case a hungry bird gets brave! just wanted you to be aware of other dangers out there.. Best to you and your cham
Well thank you for the reply and yes what happend to your chameleon is truly heart breaking to hear and I understand you concern but what I do is I have my outside terrarium half in the shade and half in the sun so if he feels to hot he can move to the shaded area and yes it's under a roof but thank you and I'm glad your chameleon is healthy and I live in south africa and the temprature is nowhere as hot as Texas
Edit and lot of vegetation but thank you so mutch for your advice and thanks for saving that amazing chameleon you got

Last edited:
Thats why we all like to share knowledge here. Sometimes the little things that you are not thinking about can cause damage and heartbreak. also there is so much misinfo out there, its good to have a springboard to share what you learn. Also most of us buy our feeders or breed them and we really have no idea how to excatly replicate what they eat and are exposed to in the wild. Caring for chams is definetly a life long learning process.🤗

Thats why we all like to share knowledge here. Sometimes the little things that you are not thinking about can cause damage and heartbreak. also there is so much misinfo out there, its good to have a springboard to share what you learn. Also most of us buy our feeders or breed them and we really have no idea how to excatly replicate what they eat and are exposed to in the wild. Caring for chams is definetly a life long learning process.🤗
Thank yoy for the info very mutch appreciated

Back
Top Bottom