cutting bamboo

ijmccollum

Okay, the Q is how to cut bamboo? Today I purchased a 5ft x 1--1.5 inch bamboo from Hobby Lobby. Thought no problem, the dremal with general cutting wheel (1") would do the trick. From cutting the first section I learned that it smokes -- alot. Gives off fine bamboo carbon dust. And the wheel was not wide or strong enough. Any suggestions?

Try a coping saw, or a hack saw, something with a fine tooth blade. A band saw would work as well if you have access to one.

this works well too.... get a steak knife or a good serrated knife and score pretty deep all the way around. then just snap it on a hard edge. the break was clean, and if its not just hit it with some sandpaper.:D
good luck.

I scored it all the way around with the dremal and tried to snap -- must not have scored deep enough. Of course I was concerned with splintering -- bamboo can be pretty thready.

Looks like its "Tool Time"!!!

who-was-on-home-improvement-earl-hindman.jpg

tools.jpg

:)

Don't think I can get a licence for the panda and, my tool bench doesn't quite look anything like that.:eek: Think I will stick with the hack-saw, if I can find it.:eek:

i was scoring and snaping a 1/2 incher. maybe thats why you had little luck. and yeah its very splinter prone if its not cut right.

Got around to cutting the bamboo. I now have a greater appreciation for why the cost of bamboo flooring is higher than one would expect.

Now, how to glue to suction cup...

Back
Top Bottom