Cup Feeders

Canny Chams

I found one of my juvinile female nosy be on the base of her enclosure this morning, i immediately called in sick and brought her to my closest exotics vet (that isnt pathetic when it comes to reptiles). They told me show broke her rear right leg. After we were done, he told me it might be best to cup feed until she was all healed. I have never considered cup feeding, as i am a strong supporter of letting my chams get exersize. I am looking for a sleek design for a cup feeder, that will fit well in a 16X18X20" enclosure.

i need the mounting idea, the cup itself im good for , i use deli cups because i need drainage due to misting system

Pretty sure he meant hang the feeding cup, not the bugs themselves.

I poked 2 holes in a plastic take out container, strung some wire through and secured it between two branches. I also used one of those big metal paper clip things and just clipped the side of the cup onto a bendy vine.

My biggest concern here is why did your cham break a leg? I think we need to evaluate your gutloading and supplementation and help you identify anything missing that may be causing nutritional deficiencies, especially with calcium. Even falling in the cage should not break a bone so something is out of balance.

Haha that makes sense. Should have thought that one through before posting :D I was puzzled about how to hang a cricket from the cage. A noose, a stick, maybe some superglue? lol. I'm going to try cup feeding today, I hope it works.

I use a piece of the bio vine and make it into a circle that the cup will fit into. That way you can take the cup out to clean or add feeders real easy. If it fits snug enough it will stay even with a missed tongue shot. I use the same containers restaurants would for a side of BBQ sauce. These aren't the best for jumpers like crickets but work good for dubia.

I use a piece of the bio vine and make it into a circle that the cup will fit into. That way you can take the cup out to clean or add feeders real easy. If it fits snug enough it will stay even with a missed tongue shot. I use the same containers restaurants would for a side of BBQ sauce. These aren't the best for jumpers like crickets but work good for dubia.

would be nice and low profile too!!, i like that idea, maybe i will make one for silkworms (just have to find the right stuff, they can climb practically anything):D

would be nice and low profile too!!, i like that idea, maybe i will make one for silkworms (just have to find the right stuff, they can climb practically anything):D

I do use the same cup for silks or horns....they don't last long enough to escape:D A shallow plastic dixie cup could work the same if you are looking for something a little deeper.

I went to Harbor Freight Tools and got some magnets. You can glue them to any type of cup you want, then use another magnet on the outside of the cage. Then place the cup anywhere you want and it only takes seconds to either move it or take it out and clean it. I find if your using the little magnet you might need to use 2 on the cup and 2 on the outside of cage if it's a big cham with a strong tongue. My Meller can tip the cup over if I only use 1+1.

Here's a pic of mine, you can see the paper clip thing holding it to the bendy vine. Since it's tall it prevents jumpers. Had to paint the outside though. Now that he's figured it out he knows to go to the top even though the paint is mostly gone.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

I poked 2 holes in a plastic take out container, strung some wire through and secured it between two branches. I also used one of those big metal paper clip things and just clipped the side of the cup onto a bendy vine.

My biggest concern here is why did your cham break a leg? I think we need to evaluate your gutloading and supplementation and help you identify anything missing that may be causing nutritional deficiencies, especially with calcium. Even falling in the cage should not break a bone so something is out of balance.
Ive never had problems with my chams before. I'm pretty sure its not as much my problem as the previous owner, but i would think any problems would go away in 1 month. Either way here is how i feed her.
:

She is 5 and a half monthes old.
I feed her aprox 12 1/2" crickets every day, and afew silk worms
every saturday i will give her that + 2 silkie moths for exersize
every sunday i give her the same with a couple butter worms.
on tuesdays i will give her a mantid with other stuff
on thursdays i give her same + a small locust

I will dust them with Repashy Calcium Plus 2 times a week. Regular calcium without D3 every day that i dont with calcium plus. twice a month i will give her herptivite. and 2 times a month i will carefully supplement her with some liquid vit A supplement that i got from my local exotics vet. (its VERY diluted with water)

I have a zoomed 5.0 bulb UV that is 1 month old

I just started using a red Solo cup with the bottom cut out. I then hot glue fiberglass screening to the bottom. I use a hole punch to create a hole at the top and use a zip tie to create a loop.

I then hot glue about 8 pennies to the bottom of the cup on the side the hole is on. This lets me hang the cup on one of the branches and the pennies act as a counter balance which keeps the cup more or less straight. So far, it's working very well to keep crickets from escaping.

I just started using a red Solo cup with the bottom cut out. I then hot glue fiberglass screening to the bottom. I use a hole punch to create a hole at the top and use a zip tie to create a loop.

I then hot glue about 8 pennies to the bottom of the cup on the side the hole is on. This lets me hang the cup on one of the branches and the pennies act as a counter balance which keeps the cup more or less straight. So far, it's working very well to keep crickets from escaping.

That's clever. And people say we should stop circulating pennies...:D

Back
Top Bottom