crusty eye

Newbomb402

For about a week now my cham has been rubbing his right eye on branches a lot and his whole eye seems to be swollen and less vibrant colors along with it seems like a crusty scab? He doesn't seem to be unhealthy or damaged eye just bothered by his eye

Attachments

• 20140821_182138.jpg
    20140821_182138.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 20140806_140736.jpg
    20140806_140736.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 309
Have you tried putting him in the shower? I'm new to to being a Cham owner but I've read that a shower could help clear their eyes. I think the humidity and water helps. Do so searches on the forum.

There are three main things I know of that can cause this; foreign objects in the eye, an infection, or a vitamin A deficiency.

If he has something in his eye I agree that a shower may help him to clear it, also pure saline solution can help. The proper way to do the shower is to put a plant or branch in the shower with water bouncing off the wall onto it, and then put the cham on the plant. If he can't get the object out on his own, a vet may need to remove it.

If it is an infection then you would need to see a vet to get the proper antibiotics.

Vitamin A deficiency can be helped by providing extra vitamin A, but too much is toxic so you have to be careful. Post #6 in the article below has details.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/cham-keeps-closing-one-his-eyes-66576/

It is hard to tell from that picture which one of these is the most likely cause of the problem. What supplements are you using, and do you have pictures of his cage? If the cause is unclear then you can take him in for a diagnosis.

He gets straight calcium almost every day, then I alternate multivitamin and calcium with d3 on the weekend. I also add mulivitamin with vitamin A in on multivitamin days. He only eats crickets witch I dont like I just ordered him dubia roaches. He refuses to eat any sort of worm they just dont move enough for him. His cage gets misted 4 times a day for 1 min intervals but he hates being sprayed or wet if he isn't shedding. He has no other signs of anything with his health being off

Vitamin A deficiency wont cause swelling like that or crustiness. It causes the eye turret to look like its sagging.

To the OP_ you need a vet. if the eye is swollen and scabby, it could be an eye infection.

Until you can get to avet, you can try the shower method or get some plain saline and put a few drops in the affected eye to help him remove whatever might be in there irritating it.

It sounds like it may be an infection but here is something you can try for a day or two to see if it starts clearing up the eye problem.
If it hasn't helped in that time, then it isn't likely that it will and a vet visit will be needed so he can get antibiotics to get cure the infection and to protect his eye from getting permanently damaged by the infection.
It's important to have him treated by a vet who regularly treats chams--or at least plenty of other reptiles.

You can rinse your cham's eyes with a gentle saline solution,several times a day which may help him to get the irritant out of his eye.

You want to gently squirt the saline solution into the eye and fill it up so the lid puffs out temporarily.
Even with closed eyes the gentle stream can penetrate the closed lid.

I've used these for eye rinses http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop...jtt_v_menu=exp
AND have also used this one by Bausch and Lomb
This Bausch and Lomb solution is made with the same ingredients called Sensitive Eyes Plus http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/search/_/N-0?pt=global&searchTerm=Sensitive+Eyes+Plus&un_form_encoding=utf-8&un_jtt_searchCVS.x=19&un_jtt_searchCVS.y=10

You can also cut and paste the questions from https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/, then add all of your answers, so we can see if anything might be causing your cham to get sick.

Very often people are given incomplete care instructions or wrong care instructions, so then the cham doesn't get everything he needs to be healthy.
Like other creatures, this isn't always the cause of illness and sometimes they get ill for unknown reasons.

Back
Top Bottom