Critique My chameleon care

haydenm14

• Your Chameleon - 5-6 month old Panther Chameleon from Kammerflage kreations
  • Handling - Have not held her except to move her into cage when arrived 3 weeks ago. Will start soon
  • Feeding - small crickets(1/4”) every day(8-10). Dust with calcium with and without d3(starting to do new organized schedule today). Have fun small small pieces of apples which she likes.
  • Supplements - reptivite, calcium with and without d3.
  • Watering- reptirain system going on every 3 hours for 45 sec, heavy misting one to two times a day, water dripper.
  • Fecal Description - from what I’ve seen her poop is like 70% black and 30% white
  • History - from kammerflage kreations, ambanja, arrived almost 3 weeks ago.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - part screen part glass(will attach photo)
  • Lighting - 150w daytime heat lamp bulb, tube uvb 5.0
  • Temperature - 85 to 90 from about 4 inches away from top down to 69 at bottom of enclosure
  • Humidity - sits around 70% usually but will let down to 50% to change it up a little
  • Plants - Lots of fake leafy vines, parlor palm, as well as a umbrella tree for when I clean her cage in a week.
  • Placement- on top of dresser in bed room. 7 ft from window.
  • Location - Burlington, Kentucky, USA
P.S. - she is a female and I am aware of egg laying. I have a laying bin ready and a small one in her enclosure to see when she is about to lay. :)
Current Problem- no issues so far but I’d like everyone to critique my care so that I could do anything possible for my girl. Will post pictures below. — if anyone needs anything else from me don’t be afraid to ask.

Thanks,
Hayden McLellan

Attachments

• D66E6160-2068-4B3B-8C59-BAD171D64FCE.jpeg
    D66E6160-2068-4B3B-8C59-BAD171D64FCE.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 145
  • FBBF135F-9AEB-4A08-8E3E-F02BE4AEF533.jpeg
    FBBF135F-9AEB-4A08-8E3E-F02BE4AEF533.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 245A29F7-A09B-491B-A9AD-8A40D30A15DB.jpeg
    245A29F7-A09B-491B-A9AD-8A40D30A15DB.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 3AED2495-23EE-41C7-A6B5-B69ED7942286.jpeg
    3AED2495-23EE-41C7-A6B5-B69ED7942286.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 108
I think you've read a caresheet or two so general husbandry doesn't look bad to me on first glance, I got 1 thing about the enclosure...
Not saying it will be a problem as they live up high most their time, but the bottom half of your enclosure has no ventilation at all.
There will be stale air and along with some heat and moisture this is a breeding ground for bacteria, mold and all things yucky.
I'd not want my gravid female digging around in bad air when she's already burdened and exhausted with having to lay eggs, it's a possible health risk.

I also think maintenance on the enclosure can become a pain in the butt if you have to do it trough the sides, wouldn't it be much more convenient having the whole front opening up?

I do have to give you kudo's for asking for critique while she's healthy!
Preventing things from happening is very important with reptiles as proper veterinarian care is hard to come by and often once a reptile shows you something is off it's already in an advanced stage or possibly to late.
(we should have a section with 'critique my husbandry', it could possibly make 'health clinic' less 'populair' down the road).)

I think you've read a caresheet or two so general husbandry doesn't look bad to me on first glance, I got 1 thing about the enclosure...
Not saying it will be a problem as they live up high most their time, but the bottom half of your enclosure has no ventilation at all.
There will be stale air and along with some heat and moisture this is a breeding ground for bacteria, mold and all things yucky.
I'd not want my gravid female digging around in bad air when she's already burdened and exhausted with having to lay eggs, it's a possible health risk.

I also think maintenance on the enclosure can become a pain in the butt if you have to do it trough the sides, wouldn't it be much more convenient having the whole front opening up?

I do have to give you kudo's for asking for critique while she's healthy!
Preventing things from happening is very important with reptiles as proper veterinarian care is hard to come by and often once a reptile shows you something is off it's already in an advanced stage or possibly to late.
(we should have a section with 'critique my husbandry', it could possibly make 'health clinic' less 'populair' down the road).)
So your worry about the egg laying is understandable but I have a plan for it. I have only a small container in her enclosure so I can see her being ready to lay. Then I will take her out and put her in a big tub I have ready to go for her. Also the access is enough to do daily cleaning and then monthly deep cleans so it’s fine

Back
Top Bottom