Crickets in bulk

So, the crickets you get at Petco/Petsmart aren't banded crickets, correct?

Banded are healthier, hardier and less smelly? AND makes less noise? Are there any pros to go with house crix over banded?

I read banded jump high. Now, house crickets don't usually jump unless provoked. So, if you leave the cover off your Rubermaid, or whatever you keep them in, you're ok. Do bandeds jump without being provoked?

House crickets in the US carry the genetic cricket paralysis, in my opinion that automatically makes them unfit for consumption. Anything that dies randomly because it has been so poorly bred is automatically out of the feeder pool for my reptiles and animals in general.

Whenever I buy bulk crickets i order from Armstrong Cricket Farm. They raise Archeta domestica and even though they can cary the paralysis virus I have never experienced a die off. They are noisy and can smell if not properly cared for.

There are a few breeders of the US house cricket who have managed to escape the virus, Armstrong I think is the only large scale breeder who has done it. This is because they keep their crickets impeccably and they have had good breeding stock for a long time. I am sure they are very specific when or if they buy new blood for their colonies.

I transport my brown and banded crickets in a 7 inch cup [from the cricket tank, to the cham cage], and 1/2 inch to 1 inch adults, cannot jump out.

Back
Top Bottom