Crickets in bulk

Sorry for hijacking OP

My bad. But get ya some banded....

Psst what I did was buy 1000 pinheads from ebay (the same seller your looking at) they sent about 4000 cause those dudes are impossible to count. Then the next day after I knew I scored big with the pinheads and could raise and colonize them I spent the ghanns price and bought 1000 mediums to feed to my cham till I had the 4000 there size (approximately 4 weeks). And now I just let them make love and keep my cham feed with there next generations as they pass. Bandeds don't get vd by the way. There more active which your cham will love and they live longer.... less stink to no stink if you do it right..... and the chirp is cute af. Pm me if you want I'll go into more detail.
I absolutely will get banded crix next batch. I gotta be crazy not because of the reasons above and that they cost the same. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking OP

My bad. But get ya some banded....

Psst what I did was buy 1000 pinheads from ebay (the same seller your looking at) they sent about 4000 cause those dudes are impossible to count. Then the next day after I knew I scored big with the pinheads and could raise and colonize them I spent the ghanns price and bought 1000 mediums to feed to my cham till I had the 4000 there size (approximately 4 weeks). And now I just let them make love and keep my cham feed with there next generations as they pass. Bandeds don't get vd by the way. There more active which your cham will love and they live longer.... less stink to no stink if you do it right..... and the chirp is cute af. Pm me if you want I'll go into more detail.

What is the secret to getting the crickets to lay eggs and hatch? Im guessing they need heat! I tried all summer to breed them and never had 1 hatch thought it was plenty hot for them but i never had any luck. Im guessing my biggest problems were no heat/light source for them the crickets and I did not use any mesh to cover the cricket lay boxes. Also how wet should the boxes kept at and when can u take the boxes out of the crix cage?

I set my cricket eggs laying bin on top of my Internet modem in there own enclosure (so I'm not using any more watts than I already do and they are not costing me more than my cham already does! That's how I found the right temp but everyone is different. And you need a temp gun which I'm assuming that you don't have. You may be able to talk/debate with your parents that this ultimately would lead to "no more paying for expensive crickets". But idk and being a parent myself I don't want anyone telling my kids what to come at me with and tell me what some other person to tell them (i swear if I hear from your parents about this I will find you lol) :D:ROFLMAO:. I understand your problem(your not grown up enough to do it on your own under your own roof) but you have to find a means to an end of the cost. Unless they don't mind paying for this. Get creative start thinking about it and explore what we all have been given as the top of the food chain species our intelligence. If it's too hot in a place add buffers till it isn't... if it's too cold find another. If your life depended on it you'd find a way. Maybe your chams well being depends on it. If not disregard all I just mentioned. Good luck (y);):)

Debbie just gave me a box of stick bugs, and explained how easy they are to raise. I may try it when I have an extra cage [after I buy a bigger one].

Debbie just gave me a box of stick bugs, and explained how easy they are to raise. I may try it when I have an extra cage [after I buy a bigger one].
stick bugs are indeed easy to raise, did that as a kid and it was almost a plague... Problem with those is that they are picky eaters so no gut load.

I set my cricket eggs laying bin on top of my Internet modem in there own enclosure (so I'm not using any more watts than I already do and they are not costing me more than my cham already does! That's how I found the right temp but everyone is different. And you need a temp gun which I'm assuming that you don't have. You may be able to talk/debate with your parents that this ultimately would lead to "no more paying for expensive crickets". But idk and being a parent myself I don't want anyone telling my kids what to come at me with and tell me what some other person to tell them (i swear if I hear from your parents about this I will find you lol) :D:ROFLMAO:. I understand your problem(your not grown up enough to do it on your own under your own roof) but you have to find a means to an end of the cost. Unless they don't mind paying for this. Get creative start thinking about it and explore what we all have been given as the top of the food chain species our intelligence. If it's too hot in a place add buffers till it isn't... if it's too cold find another. If your life depended on it you'd find a way. Maybe your chams well being depends on it. If not disregard all I just mentioned. Good luck (y);):)

Thanks a lot! I think what I'll do is buy them off of the web from the links you guys have given me and see how long they last. I usually end up paying for them myself. I get about about $10 a week for "allowance" and I feed my Cham about 10-15 a day so if they're $20 for 1000 crix and I pay pet smart $6 every four days for 51 crickets I calculated that I can (if they all manage to stay alive) get about 14.5 weeks worth of crickets for twenty bucks which would be just fine for me. I don't necessarily want to eliminate the cost because to do that it would take take away time to breed them and time is a luxury I can't afford unfortunately but neither is $6 every 4-5 days either so this should be a good compromise :) thanks all!

I just ordered my first bulk order of 500 crickets from Top hat cricket farm and added in 12 hornworms since there is no place to get them locally anyways. Even with shipping added in and if half of the crickets die instead of being fed it was less expensive than it is to get them each week at petsmart or Petco.

I have a five month old veiled and I believe it is a male but unsure... my question is how many crickets should they eat a day cause I swear he is a fatty he eats like 13 a day.. is that to much or is it ok for him to eat that much?

I just ordered my first bulk order of 500 crickets from Top hat cricket farm and added in 12 hornworms since there is no place to get them locally anyways. Even with shipping added in and if half of the crickets die instead of being fed it was less expensive than it is to get them each week at petsmart or Petco.
Well my order arrived today. Thrilled with the crickets, only a few didn't make it. Not so thrilled with the hornworms. I ordered 12, but only 7 arrived alive and stink doesn't even begin to describe it! Of the 7, three were small enough for Edith and Archie to eat. So not a total waste as they loved them, but unless I find someone local to buy them from I likely won't order these again and will stick to crickets until they are big enough to eat a super worm. Maybe the expo in a few weeks will have someone selling them so I can get a few really small ones.

Well my order arrived today. Thrilled with the crickets, only a few didn't make it. Not so thrilled with the hornworms. I ordered 12, but only 7 arrived alive and stink doesn't even begin to describe it! Of the 7, three were small enough for Edith and Archie to eat. So not a total waste as they loved them, but unless I find someone local to buy them from I likely won't order these again and will stick to crickets until they are big enough to eat a super worm. Maybe the expo in a few weeks will have someone selling them so I can get a few really small ones.

Oops. Yeah they have a lot at the Expo the last time I went silks horns all kinds of crickets hand butterflies should be able to get them there

Where did you order your hornworms from o_O? I would suggest ordering eggs from great Lakes hornworms

Where did you order your hornworms from o_O? I would suggest ordering eggs from great Lakes hornworms
I just added them in with my cricket order since I was already paying the shipping. I got them from top hat, and will absolutely keep getting my crickets there!

Joshs frogs is great! I've bought crickets, mealworms and hornworms from them several times and they almost all safely arrived. I lost one batch of mealworms because of a surprise heat wave and they replaced it as soon as it cooled off, even though it was really my fault for not checking the weather. They'll also give you great advice on starting up a colony, all you have to do is call them and ask. I'm trying out a hornworm colony because my babies go nuts for them. And I'm also a sucker for punishment.

Back
Top Bottom