Cricket Virus

A asymptomatic vector is still affected with the disease it is transmitting. Just because it doesn't die from what it's transmitting does not make it completely unaffected. And you must not have read the article which showed clinical pathology of the affected crickets as well as pathology in the affected chameleon, and thus not just a vector but a carrier with transmission across phylum.

What-evs. Ill let the space cadets toss around their fears all they want. I'm sure its productive. Ill leave it to you ladies and gents.

Just so you guys know, the whole study is based on a hypothesis that the viruses originated from the insects and not the other way around. If it so happens that the iridoviruses did originate from the lizard populations collected in Germany, well than, that study is debunked. I'm too lazy to check the articles sources though. None of the crickets actually die from the symptoms, and I believe that in most cases Iridoviridae does not have any other symptoms besides using the insects as hosts and causing the iridescence. Also, we are talking about a parvovirus, just saying...

Last edited:
A asymptomatic vector is still affected with the disease it is transmitting. Just because it doesn't die from what it's transmitting does not make it completely unaffected. And you must not have read the article which showed clinical pathology of the affected crickets as well as pathology in the affected chameleon, and thus not just a vector but a carrier with transmission across phylum.

Great article by the way.

H1N1 is a chicken virus that has jumped to humans. Why would authorities order mass slaughter of potentially infected livestock if there were no risks in eating infected meat?

With all the educated discussion and brain power here I am seeing more bickering on superfluous what ifs than on actions.

How is the virus transmitted? I believe it is through fecal matter then staying in the environment a lot like canine parvo, but I can't find verification. If this is the case clinical grade air filters and sanitary environment should help...

Which leads to the next question: What kills it? Chlorox kills canine parvo but ammonia and alcohol based cleaners don't how similar is this virus? At what temperature does the virus die, is steam effective?

Then finally, it still isn't clear to me if other animals are effective vectors or just some trace of the virus can be found with exposure.

I don't know any of the answers but these are the sort of things we need to be aware of. Not the incredibly unlikely possibility that a parvo virus, that is by nature very stable, will mutate to kill our pets.

grumpycham_zps566954d7.jpg

H1N1 is a chicken virus that has jumped to humans. Why would authorities order mass slaughter of potentially infected livestock if there were no risks in eating infected meat?

Because poultry is big business and authorities tend to take action much faster for economic than public health issues...

This virus isn't even in the same family, not sure we should use it for comparison anyway.

Anecdotally, from what I've heard from a couple of the farms as well as other people in the herp industry, the virus is airborne and several of the farms believe they were first infected via shipments of inorganic supplies (cardboard boxes, egg crate, plastic cups, etc.). Seems like keeping the virus out would be a logistical nightmare now that it's here....

I'm curious about the banded crickets getting this. Are colony crashes being reported? I have heard the rumor of it crossing to that species but don't know any specifics. Also, how were the infected farms able to produce so many generations of banded crickets before the virus started causing problems?

I'm curious about the banded crickets getting this. Are colony crashes being reported? I have heard the rumor of it crossing to that species but don't know any specifics. Also, how were the infected farms able to produce so many generations of banded crickets before the virus started causing problems?

That's what I've been wondering myself. I had heard that Mulberry Farms had an issue with the banded crickets getting the virus, but that's all I've really heard about it. I don't know if there was some other issue that was similar to the virus or what. Perhaps they had tested them to be sure? Aside from them, I had always read that they were resistant to the virus that the house crickets got.

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/CRICKETS-c12/

1-29-13 INVENTORY UPDATE:* We are sorry to announce that the cricket virus that previously affected the brown "house" cricket is now affecting the banded crickets which we have been raising as a substitute.* Because we want to offer only the healthiest and highest quality feeders to our customers, we have decided to not raise/sell crickets at this time, until we can find a healthy, virus free strain of crickets.* We suggest that superworms (available in micro, small, medium and large size), as well as roaches (available in nymph to large size) be offered in place of crickets as part of a healthy, varied diet for your pets!* Our apologies for any inconvenience

Note that update is dated January 2013 and they still don't have any.

I am only seeing more confusion. I recall reading about mulberry farms having issues with the banded crickets but many suppliers insist they are good. Most of the literature I can dig up says they are resistant, not immune, so it wouldn't be surprising to see a percentage of an infected population affected.

My problem, and I'm guessing the problem in general here, is that I have poor understanding of microbiology and in particular virology. Sure, I know the basics, but I would love to see a virologists take on the issue.

Anyone know a good virologist?

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/CRICKETS-c12/

Note that update is dated January 2013 and they still don't have any.

Interesting... I believe Ghann's was one of, if not the, first to start producing the banded crickets and don't seem to be having issues with them, yet....

Although my local farm was wiped out originally, they're back to producing Acheta. I like knowing the bandeds are out there as a substitute if Acheta production fails again so am hoping they last.

What-evs. Ill let the space cadets toss around their fears all they want. I'm sure its productive. Ill leave it to you ladies and gents.

Just so you guys know, the whole study is based on a hypothesis that the viruses originated from the insects and not the other way around. If it so happens that the iridoviruses did originate from the lizard populations collected in Germany, well than, that study is debunked. I'm too lazy to check the articles sources though. None of the crickets actually die from the symptoms, and I believe that in most cases Iridoviridae does not have any other symptoms besides using the insects as hosts and causing the iridescence. Also, we are talking about a parvovirus, just saying...

I saw you added some response after reading the paper. I think you need to read it again...

Infection studies on the host range of the IIV isolate CrIV with various Orthopteran species, including G. bimaculatus, have been described in detail. In the orally infected insects that isolate led to characteristic symptoms and a mortality of 93% after dipping in virus suspension and 48% after feeding virus infected food. The present transmission studies only resulted in mortalities that ranged from 20% to 35% after dipping.

Some of the infected crickets showed swollen abdomens and distress as major symptoms, and postmortem examinations revealed that 5 of the fat bodies of infected crickets (25%) were bluish iridescent in color.

This study had a lower mortality rate than previous studies, but characteristic symptoms for viral infection and mortality nonetheless.

Last edited:
No, species jumping is a common thing. But a phylum is another thing entirely. There is little to no data on viruses mutating to affect different kingdoms or phylums. Nothing is impossible or absolute, but we can be safe in knowing that this virus has an extremely unlikely chance of affecting lizards. There is a higher chance that a plane crashes into your house killing the chameleons... I am pulling these probabilities out of thin air of course. Still, with some investigation I am confident you can find more supporting information, to my outlandish claims, hehe.

SO because they are in different phylums, it makes it ok?

No its doesn't.

I can do all the research I want on this virus. but no matter how much I find that says it cant hurt my chams, I wont feed sick bugs, end of story.

SO because they are in different phylums, it makes it ok?

No its doesn't.

I can do all the research I want on this virus. but no matter how much I find that says it cant hurt my chams, I wont feed sick bugs, end of story.

Agreed, except for you don't know that they have the virus until the end stages. Before that, there are no outward symptoms.

Exactly. You FEED this virus and millons of other to your chameleon. Every food contains viruses, bacterias and other microorganisms, some less, some more. God thanks almost all do not affect them anyway. But if you fed house crickets to you chameleon I take any bet that they already received Acheta parvovirus.
We in Europe have way longer experience and no, it does not harm. if you do not want feed "sick bugs full of parvovirus" you need exclude house crickets from your feeding portfolio.

To be honest - what you call crazy red is far superior food. Just you need feed appropriate size and pay attention that they will not grow adult in terrarium where are tiny reptiles. All my larger chameleons prefer them, you can offer at same time those and house crickets and you will see yourself what will be taken first.

Back
Top Bottom