Cricket Virus

Thanks for all the input. Just to be on the safe side I cancelled my cricket order and re-ordered from a supplier that had not had any problems with the virus. I wouldn't want to take any chances with my pets.

Just because the cricket virus probably cant leap from one species to another, doesn't mean we should still feed the infected bugs off.

Better safe than sorry.

I agree.

Most of us who have been buying our crickets already have I'm afraid. The crickets may have the virus before they show symptoms. Paralysis and death are the final symptoms of the virus. By the time you see the colony paralyzed you have been feeding your chams those same crickets.

The above average intelligence keeper would not feed the paralyzed insects to their chameleons, nor do I think the chameleon would be much entertained by it either.

I agree.

Most of us who have been buying our crickets already have I'm afraid. The crickets may have the virus before they show symptoms. Paralysis and death are the final symptoms of the virus. By the time you see the colony paralyzed you have been feeding your chams those same crickets.

The above average intelligence keeper would not feed the paralyzed insects to their chameleons, nor do I think the chameleon would be much entertained by it either.

I haven't gotten crickets in two months because my regular suppliers two suppliers got hit with the virus, and then I heard it had hit the banded crickets, so I don't use my other supplier either.

Hmm. Maybe we should post which suppliers are known to be infected. This is not a company review, but rather more of a public health announcement. For chams. ;)

Hmm. Maybe we should post which suppliers are known to be infected. This is not a company review, but rather more of a public health announcement. For chams. ;)

It would be negligent to our members not to. This is an important issue since the vast majority of keepers use commercial crickets as a food staple.

I am sure the reason they have not already is because company reviews are removed according to forum rules. So they wanted to raise the alarm without having the posts removed where no one would see it, not negligence as you suggest. My point was that they can reveal the company names without fear of the posts being removed.

Why are suppliers not using quarantine measures on new breeding stock? I understand this is a huge expense but the risk is too great not to.

I think as consumers we should be asking about sanitation and business practices that even allow an infection to cause such a sweeping spread through stock.

I'm not clear on exactly how this virus spreads but I doubt it is by magic and a quarantine or split holding rooms should be able to mitigate the spread...

That might be of some help, but it could also "blacklist" some reputable suppliers that had it in the past, but took measures to nuke their facilities. What I think would be more helpful is a list of suppliers that are no longer carrying the standard acheta domestica and have switched over to another species, and then list which species they have. As long as they are not those crazy reds!:eek:

That might be of some help, but it could also "blacklist" some reputable suppliers that had it in the past, but took measures to nuke their facilities. What I think would be more helpful is a list of suppliers that are no longer carrying the standard acheta domestica and have switched over to another species, and then list which species they have. As long as they are not those crazy reds!:eek:

My Parsons love crazy reds !!! where can I get some??

I think that is why the names were not provided in the first place Mike. In previous outbreaks there were suppliers identified. With a new outbreak I would like to see who is currently infected. Previously the suppliers were eager to inform their customers that the virus had been cleared, and I'm sure they will be again. So we can update the thread when they are cleared or have changed species to get rid of it.

I think it's airbourn.

Here you go my little friends, I hope you're hungry...
image_zps54d5c096.jpg

image_zps1c7c9575.jpg

Just because the cricket virus probably cant leap from one species to another, doesn't mean we should still feed the infected bugs off.

Better safe than sorry.

No, species jumping is a common thing. But a phylum is another thing entirely. There is little to no data on viruses mutating to affect different kingdoms or phylums. Nothing is impossible or absolute, but we can be safe in knowing that this virus has an extremely unlikely chance of affecting lizards. There is a higher chance that a plane crashes into your house killing the chameleons... I am pulling these probabilities out of thin air of course. Still, with some investigation I am confident you can find more supporting information, to my outlandish claims, hehe.

Vigilant - you must have missed this post...

Actually...as much as I'd love to agree that the cricket virus is not something to worry about...there is evidence that invertebrate viruses can in fact infect lizards. In this case it was a cricket virus that infected a hoehnelli. I do not want to cause a panic with this. It is still very unlikely that healthy chameleons will be infected clinically. The virus in the article is an iridovirus in field crickets, whereas the paralysis virus is a parvovirus (much, much less likely to jump hosts like that) and in a different cricket species.

Experimental Infection of Crickets (Gryllus Bimaculatus) with an Invertebrate Iridovirus Isolated from a High-Casqued Chameleon (Chamaeleo Hoehnelii)

I would not be overly concerned with feeding the possibly infected crickets off, and I'm sure many of us already have since this virus has hit many suppliers in the last year.

No, species jumping is a common thing. But a phylum is another thing entirely. There is little to no data on viruses mutating to affect different kingdoms or phylums.
So when West Nile Virus affects mosquitos, birds, humans, and horses? Last I checked Mosquitos and mammals were not the same phylum. And that's three different classes all affected by the same virus.

Last edited:
Vigilant - you must have missed this post...

So when West Nile Virus affects mosquitos, birds, humans, and horses? Last I checked Mosquitos and mammals were not the same phylum. And that's three different classes all affected by the same virus.

Mosquitoes are only the vectors for the WNV. Birds are used as hosts and as far as I know both are unaffected by the virus symptoms. Humans and horses are both Chordata, so we do share some biological similarities. This virus is a completely different thing. Apples and oranges bro...also you must have missed the 99.99% I gave out. Also the part where I said nothing is absolute...yeah, that.

Mosquitoes are only the vectors for the WNV. Birds are used as hosts and as far as I know both are unaffected by the virus symptoms. Humans and horses are both Chordata, so we do share some biological similarities. This virus is a completely different thing. Apples and oranges bro...also you must have missed the 99.99% I gave out. Also the part where I said nothing is absolute...yeah, that.

You you know she is a veterinarian right? You know, a science and medical background? Keep guessing, it what keeps the Internet alive.

Back
Top Bottom