Cricket odor

HankeyPoo

Established Member
Y do they smell sooo bad?? Is there anything I can do to make them not smell (as bad)?? It’s very faint but rancid... almost feel bad feeding them to my hank 😝

Wow, I was just telling my sister how much I hate having to feed crickets because they stink soo bad soo quickly! I think I’m switching to dry food and I’m gonna use some window screen to ventilate my containers, keeping their temperature up is gonna be tricky tho.

Great article/info! I’ve been wondering about keeping my crickets in a bioactive bin, same as I keep my roaches. Haven’t ever read about anyone doing that though. :unsure:

I saw a person do this several years ago and for the longest time It was in my plans to try and have a cricket colony that kept reproducing, but haven't gotten around to it yet lol.

The biggest step you can make in reducing smell for crickets is get banded crickets from a good source. They smell way less than the typical store bought. Also make sure to have plenty of ventilation, sides and top

I saw a person do this several years ago and for the longest time It was in my plans to try and have a cricket colony that kept reproducing, but haven't gotten around to it yet lol.
I usually use banded crickets. I’ve got quite an excess of springtails and dwarf white isos in my roach bins. Think I’ll give this a try.

Great article/info! I’ve been wondering about keeping my crickets in a bioactive bin, same as I keep my roaches. Haven’t ever read about anyone doing that though. :unsure:
I did this unintentionally , I think the substrate I used had cricket eggs because I let it sit out side for a couple months . I set up a roach bin using that substrate and started seeing pinheads popping up so I removed the roaches and let the crickets so their thing . I keep one side dampish and the other side dry , theirs always crickets in there now , most iv seen was maybe 75 or so . I haven't been able to get my numbers higher than that ( maybe they are eating the eggs that's why cricket breeders cover the lay box with mesh

For like a week I had my crickets kept in a shoe box size cardboard box with an egg carton and they don't smell at all. They have no substrate either which I read can add to their odor. I feel bad keeping them in such a small space so I'm putting them in a large plastic bin. I have no I idea if carboard makes a difference or not but I don't know if I would recommend it because I bought 15 from Petco and 8 of them died. Kind of terrible at cricket keeping but I read up on break so maybe more will actually stay alive next time lol

For like a week I had my crickets kept in a shoe box size cardboard box with an egg carton and they don't smell at all. They have no substrate either which I read can add to their odor. I feel bad keeping them in such a small space so I'm putting them in a large plastic bin. I have no I idea if carboard makes a difference or not but I don't know if I would recommend it because I bought 15 from Petco and 8 of them died. Kind of terrible at cricket keeping but I read up on break so maybe more will actually stay alive next time lol

Yea 15 isnt going to stink, try 500 or a 1000 though...sooo horrible of a smell, not to mention they eat each other alive or dead...

Back
Top Bottom