cricket keeping

I always buy my crickets in bulk about 1,000 at a time - after about a week or two of having them they smell SOOOOO BAD! I was curious if anyone else keeps them in bulk and how you keep the smell away? I do not put any type of substrate down for them - if I did would it keep the smell down? and if so, what kind of substrate?

The only way I've found to keep the smell down is to do weekly container cleanings, and get rid if the dead ones and old fruits and veggies....
I have 2 10 gallon aquariums that I rotate out weekly... There's still a bit of ell but I place a box of baking soda on top of the screen covering to help...

I gave up on crickets because of this reason. Even in a small container it smells so bad. Also they die so fast its not worth buying a lot for me. Have you tried small dubias?

For the past few month's I've been buying about 10,000 crickets a week. Feeding them a good diet and using fresh egg crate weekly really helps.

Carl

Thanks for all of the replies !! and I have not yet tried dubias because its very hard to get them where I am and plus I don't like the idea of them - lol I am going to try a couple of different things and hope for the best!

Screen the bottom of the container so the grass falls through into a tray. Dump the tray as needed, virtually no smell.:D

Nick

I bought 25 dubia's over three weeks ago and haven't properly set them up yet. They've been in a small container with a screen top. While I don't like the idea of them it's really about the cham so I can manage through it. Tomorrow a heat pad, tongs, and dark container is on the agenda. They are really hardy little guys...I've lost one since I've had them. I do feed them well and remove old food to prevent mold growth.

I have 100 crickets setup to breed but long term I can tell it won't be a staple. They smell even though I clean every week. Not to mention the chirping and escapes when I am not being careful. The one good thing is easy to aquire locally.

My cham is slowing down on them so probably about time to switch up the menu.

Back
Top Bottom