Cricket infected with Parasitic Gordian worm commiting suicide

(Video Link)

"Gordian worm live inside crickets for long periods, feeding on the cricket's diet. Once fully grown, they inject chemicals into the cricket's brain, brainwashing it and forcing it to kill itself by jumping into the water. Once in water, the worm wriggles out of the writhing body and swims off in search of a mate."

-Article published in Apr 06 Nature magazine

There are also videos on the net of them in fish and frogs. Am I wierd to find this way fascinating?

Will Hayward said:
(Video Link)

"Gordian worm live inside crickets for long periods, feeding on the cricket's diet. Once fully grown, they inject chemicals into the cricket's brain, brainwashing it and forcing it to kill itself by jumping into the water. Once in water, the worm wriggles out of the writhing body and swims off in search of a mate."

-Article published in Apr 06 Nature magazine

There are also videos on the net of them in fish and frogs. Am I wierd to find this way fascinating?
Yes you are weird but for so many other reasons...<ducking>

Nikrah86 said:
Holy cow that's a big worm! How on earth does it fit itself into a cricket that size I wonder....
It started out microscopic when it enered the cricket. That cricket is probably 6 weeks old so its had a bit of time to grow.

that is odd and interesting at the same time.what do you think would happen if a cham ate an infected cricket

That was crazy! Every time I thought the worm was close to finally exiting, it just kept going and going!

a23cham said:
that is odd and interesting at the same time.what do you think would happen if a cham ate an infected cricket
Aparently I have been told by those that are Bug savy (Lele) that these worms would be harmless to chameleons or humans. But after seeing them come out of a fish and a frog aswell... I wonder.

Eck.

huge worm, disgusting but interesting as previously said.

and Jenfur427

i just wanted to say, the panther in your avatar picture (avatar right?, well the red/orange panther) is beautiful

voxxom said:
Eck.
and Jenfur427

i just wanted to say, the panther in your avatar picture (avatar right?, well the red/orange panther) is beautiful

Thank you! I got him from Jenna. He's a sweetheart. He's usually green/red, but when my husband was holding him, Cainen saw himself in the dresser mirror and fired up. I went and grabbed the camera, since I have never seen him like that, and took the pic.

Will Hayward said:
Aparently I have been told by those that are Bug savy (Lele) that these worms would be harmless to chameleons or humans. But after seeing them come out of a fish and a frog aswell... I wonder.

If the worm puts a chemical in the crickets brain to jump in the water and comit suicide, what does it do to a fish? Comit suicide by jumping out of the water? Frogs are a little diffrent to, in or out of water is fine with them? LOL I am just being picky I guess. Do these live in the digestive track, if a chameleon ate one of these would the stomach acid kill them? Ok thats enough of playing 20 questions.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom