cricket heads in poop?

Purpur

Your Chameleon - female veiled, ~6 months old, had for ~ five weeks
Handling - sparingly, only when needed
Feeding - crickets, gut loaded w/ flukers gut load, apples, carrots, celery, chick peas, peas, green peppers, algae paper, and berries. varries depending on what i have on hand. mealworms sparingly ( once a week, one worm)
Supplements - repcal herpvite, 2x a month, rep cal calcium w/d3, 2x a month, calcium 5x a week
Watering - misting, 3to 5 times a day. see her drink
Fecal Description - no parasite test, healthy looking poo, white urate poops ~ once a day. lately I've been seeing cricket heads in the poo- about two per poo.
History - shed three times since bringing her home. eats ~10 large crickets a day. has gone from two inches in legth to about six inches in length since bringing her home.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - mesh, 36x18X18
Lighting - reptiglow 5 uvb, repti sun 75 watt (my house is cold) ceremaic heat emmiter for night. lights on at 10 am, lights off 9 pm
Temperature - highest day~88F, lowest day ~80F. highest night ~75F, lowest night ~65F use one old fashioned thermometer and two digital thermometers
Humidity - ~70%, lowest is 50% i mist to maintain, and use a hydrometer to measure it.
Plants - no
Placement - bedroom, low foot trafic. warmer room. not near heat vent. ~ five feet up ( on a dresser)
Location - ny

i have been finding crickets heads- just the heads- in her poo. about two heads per poo. what is going on?:confused:

Chameleons don't have long GI tracts so you may be over feeding her, just putting too much through too fast. Increasing her basking temp may also help a bit. They like to sit in the "sun" after eating because everything they do is temperature dependent. The crickets are also high in chitin which is difficult to digest. My male veiled would get some cricket heads in his poo when he decided to be a piggy. I would suggest starting to cut back on her food intake a bit. Once full grown, my male would eat about 10-12 crickets every other to every two days. I would suggest to cut her food back to about 8 crickets a day or switch her over to an every other day schedule and see if that helps. Monitoring her weight would also be helpful so you can see if she is still growing while reducing her food intake and also if she starts making eggs.

Back
Top Bottom