Crankiness and hunger loss during shedding

gideonus

My 6 month old male veiled, Mr. Worf, is already shedding for the third time in the 7 weeks I've had him (growing fast). Have others noticed that during shedding, chams get quite cranky (absolutely does not want to be handled, whereas normally he stays put when I gently remove him from the cage), and also he seems to have lost his appetite? I assume this is normal behavior. If I were shedding my skin I think I'd be cranky and not very anxious to eat too. Normal response?

Normal response. Each time my rudis has shed he goes on a hunger strike for a few days and gives me and occasional hiss (which is very rare for him to do). I also asked my vet the same question and she assured me it was a normal reaction to shedding, but not all chameleons behave that way.

Yes chams do slow down when shedding. You are also noticing him mature and develop a sense of home. Soon he will eat your hand for putting it into his cage.

You should not be holding your cham regularly. Chameleons are the type of pet you look at, but don't touch. I have some chams that don't mind coming out of the cage and do so willingly. My veileds are offered a stick. One HAS to be on a stick or he'll try and eat me, the other one gets the stick cause he claws up my hand. My panther is very friendly and doesn't mind me at all. I open the cage and he comes out. My melleri... depends on the mood. My female veiled just wants food... so if she thinks im gonna give her some she comes out...

bottom line.. they all have a personality and you need to be aware of it. If he is cranky, leave him alone. Don't ever force them to do anything unless it is to ensure they are healthy; force feeding if needed or removed from the cage for cleaning or vet checks.

I think your right

I have several chams that seem to get upset a little when shedding. They go on hunger strikes and can be more aggitated. However, a couple of them have matured more and have quit the grumpiness during shedding. Good luck!

My little one, Betty, ate a bunch of Crix yesterday pinheads of course, today she was shedding and barely ate one. She did seem a bit shy

My male veiled Rebel NEVER refuses food. lol Hes always cranky but he is extra cranky right before and during a shed. He hisses and lunges at my hand every time I reach into his home if he thinks I am gonna try and get him. :cool:

I actually just wrote a post about this b/c my guy suddenly turned cranky and wasn't as hungry over the last couple days and it's been a while since he shed last...I hear it's pretty normal of a reaction.

Back
Top Bottom