Built up shed...or sunburn?

Fossilfox

Hey all,
I acquired a Jackson's named Oslo from a friend back in September. When I first got him, I noticed the top of his head between his horns looked a little gray but I figured a few more sheds and proper misting would do the trick. He has since gone through a couple body sheds (all normal, nothing else stuck) but continues to have this build-up. I've tried rubbing with a q-tip, placing cotton pads soaked with shed-ease, and I took him to the vet but she said it looked fine(although she seemed not as experienced with chameleons 😕) .
When I look at pictures of TJX chameleons, their crest just looks so much more green. It doesn't seem like it's hurting him but it could be constricting around his horns. Is this normal or not? If not, what can I do to help? He's otherwise a pretty healthy dude.
Please see attached pics.
Thanks for the insight!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - TJX, Male, Unknown Age, Had since September of last year.
  • Handling - Once a week to take him outside for some sunshine.
  • Feeding - Dubias, Hissers, Crickets, Mealworms. 3-4 insects every other day. Gut-loaded with fresh veggies.
  • Supplements - Miner-all indoor calcium supplement every couple feeds, bee pollen every feed, Herptivite multivitamin once a month.
  • Watering - Dripper once a day. Fogger at night. Misted first thing in the morning. He is a voracious drinker!
  • Fecal Description - All-together and oval. I am working on getting him tested for this year.
  • History - He had a previous owner, I'm not sure on their care.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 48x24x24 screen cage with two sides covered by plexiglass.
  • Lighting - Light is on from 7-7. Incandescent 70w heat bulb and T8 5.0 UV light.
  • Temperature - Basking is 82. Daytime is 70-75 Nighttime is 65-70. Measured with infrared thermometer.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels are 50% during the day, 80% at night(Fogger). I use a Mengshen digital hygrometer.
  • Plants - Live plants: pothos, money plant, inchplant
  • Placement - Cage is located in my bedroom, it is around 5ft from the nearest window but that side is covered with plexiglass. It is set on top of a 2 ft high table.
  • Location - I am around the Great Lakes!

Attachments

• 20230805_152334.jpg
    20230805_152334.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230805_152314.jpg
    20230805_152314.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
It’s stuck shed and pretty common for the Xanth. It will release itself with time, don’t force it.

How long are you running the basking light? Mine is 35 watt and only from 07:00 till 10:00 am. If you could lower your nighttime temps a bit more, this will be beneficial in the long term for him. It will boost his immune system because of the deeper sleep he‘ll get into. The rest looks good.

And Oslo is a handsome boy

Well my Rosie is a panther and she was left out in the sun to die in texas as they thought she was eggbound. She was rescued, but had aquite abit if sunburn. The eye lids were the worst one was black on part of it but there was an area in her tail that was lighter then everywhere else. It stayed this way after many molts. It is a little remenistic of oslo area. If it is a sunburn, it will take a long time to heal and many molts to resolve, but it will resolve if it is a sunburn. i dont know anything about jacksons so i am not sure if limiting him on basking time will hurt. But if its a burn, not stuck shed then the advice seems sound and you can akways move the basking light at 10am to an area where the closest branch is a foot down so he xant sit dire tly under it all day. Just a thought. Time is the ticket here and i would rub on it or anything. Best of luck. I agree is is so handsome!

It’s stuck shed and pretty common for the Xanth. It will release itself with time, don’t force it.

How long are you running the basking light? Mine is 35 watt and only from 07:00 till 10:00 am. If you could lower your nighttime temps a bit more, this will be beneficial in the long term for him. It will boost his immune system because of the deeper sleep he‘ll get into. The rest looks good.

And Oslo is a handsome boy
Hi Sonny,
Thanks for the insight! Mine goes off around 2PM so shortening that would probably help the temps to lower by nighttime.

And yes, he's a very handsome lil dude. 😌

Last edited:
Well my Rosie is a panther and she was left out in the sun to die in texas as they thought she was eggbound. She was rescued, but had aquite abit if sunburn. The eye lids were the worst one was black on part of it but there was an area in her tail that was lighter then everywhere else. It stayed this way after many molts. It is a little remenistic of oslo area. If it is a sunburn, it will take a long time to heal and many molts to resolve, but it will resolve if it is a sunburn. i dont know anything about jacksons so i am not sure if limiting him on basking time will hurt. But if its a burn, not stuck shed then the advice seems sound and you can akways move the basking light at 10am to an area where the closest branch is a foot down so he xant sit dire tly under it all day. Just a thought. Time is the ticket here and i would rub on it or anything. Best of luck. I agree is is so handsome!
Hi MzLaurie,
Thanks for the insight! I'll try to let things happen and not rush it, adjust lighting. I'm glad Rosie found a new amazing owner. :)

Hi and welcome. You’ve gotten some great advice so far. Just to reiterate, chameleons are dry shedders, so trying to moisten it with anything will make the shed skin adhere more. As long as all of your husbandry is correct - mainly uvb, temps, humidity and supplements - it should come off in time. The only times we really intervene with shedding is if it’s constricting blood flow to a leg or tail.
You’ve got a beautiful little guy there btw. Hope you’ll be sharing more pics and asking whatever questions you may have. 🥰

Hi and welcome. You’ve gotten some great advice so far. Just to reiterate, chameleons are dry shedders, so trying to moisten it with anything will make the shed skin adhere more. As long as all of your husbandry is correct - mainly uvb, temps, humidity and supplements - it should come off in time. The only times we really intervene with shedding is if it’s constricting blood flow to a leg or tail.
You’ve got a beautiful little guy there btw. Hope you’ll be sharing more pics and asking whatever questions you may have. 🥰
Hi MissSkittles
Thanks for the advice! I'll just try to be patient after my temp adjustments.
I'll try to share more pics when I get a chance!

Back
Top Bottom