Crack in the veil?

Usually, that I have seen, casque issues having to do with burns just turn a more grey color. I don't think I have heard of part of the casque falling off.

This is one of the only threads where i found a similar issue. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veil-is-cracking.62481/

For mine, The veil part that fell off had turned a darker color. It may have just been and intense burn and I'm thinking his calcium issues and the humidity levels probably contributed to making it hard for his body to heal more normally

I'm looking forward to seeing a more specialized vet next week for follow up and seeing what he thinks might have done it.

This is one of the only threads where i found a similar issue. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veil-is-cracking.62481/

For mine, The veil part that fell off had turned a darker color. It may have just been and intense burn and I'm thinking his calcium issues and the humidity levels probably contributed to making it hard for his body to heal more normally

I'm looking forward to seeing a more specialized vet next week for follow up and seeing what he thinks might have done it.
I did not read the whole thread, but I saw what happened in general. What makes me wonder if it was just a burn, is that the part that came off was just a darker color pattern, and the cells under it didn't seem like all thermally burnt, and the part that fell off. For a burn that severe, to fall off, it seems like it would have to be dark grey/black, and get infected? Maybe it burned and got infected, but the bumps really seem concerning. Hope he gets better, and hopefully the end of this finds a good resolution!

Happy Chameleon Keeping!

Just throwing my two cents in... Healthy skin and scales do not fall off for no reason. My guess would be a small wound on the casque got infected and went unnoticed. As mentioned in a post above, most burns will turn black or grey and have an ashy look.

To rule a burn out, what is the temperature at the basking branch?

I’m just glad you took him to the vet some people would have just ignored people’s comments, think the cham is fine, and delete the forums because there cham died a month later. This is a good learning experience and you will do nothing than learn how to take care of your chameleon

I’m just glad you took him to the vet some people would have just ignored people’s comments, think the cham is fine, and delete the forums because there cham died a month later. This is a good learning experience and you will do nothing than learn how to take care of your chameleon
So true!!! We need to be positive, open, and helpful to each other, to help provide a comfortable learning environment!

Update: took him to a specialized vet (from a member rec).

She said he looked good, aside from a little dryness. I'm going to start doing some warm water soaks with him weekly to make sure he's hydrated well.

Got some bloodwork done to make more certain that he was doing well and everything came back great so far. Calcium levels are great, she said she sees no signs of any metabolic bone disease, he has very strong grip and the only bump of concern was on his arm, but she's not sure it's necessarily a cause for concern. She said it could be a lot of things, could be a benign tumor, or something else but it's really hard to know without something more invasive. So we're keeping an eye on that to see if it changes at all. Still waiting on further blood test results that could provide a few answers there.

She thinks the casque issue was most likely the result of a burn, probably not the sun, but a time when he climbed to close to the lights and touched his head to the mesh beneath a lamp. He likes to climb on the mesh walls, but I'm going to get some lamp stands to take them a little farther from the cage.

His kidneys are apparently doing fantastic for his age (almost 3).

TLDR: his overall health is great, his casque has healed well, and humidity is the main point of concern that I have actionable steps to fix.

The original pics I posted weren't very flattering, this is more of what he usually looks like. This is from today.

Attachments

• IMG_5123.JPG
    IMG_5123.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 130
I'm not sure if you meant showering your cham, or soaking him, but please do not soak him - that will stress him out terribly. If your vet recommended that then you need a different vet. You can use the showering method to help hydrate him, but I prefer just adding a misting cycle daily and adding hornworms to his diet. Good job so far, you are very invested in helping your boy mend.

Back
Top Bottom