Crack in the veil?

Hermthewerm

My 2.5 year old veiled Cham has something strange going on with his veil. I can see somewhat of a crack or hole at the front of it. Like I can see through it from the side. See attached pictures.

To provide some context that might be useful, we recently upgraded his cage to fit his size better and to provide better light. We noticed he was not deploying his tongue as much anymore, and suspected he wasn't getting enough UVB and/or calcium. He doesnt seem to have any fractures or other issues associated with MBD, but we've been trying to supplement his diet. He doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in crickets anymore, he still doesn't seem to be deploying his tongue much, or at least when I've been watching him, some of them do slowly disappear but his appetite or willingness to hunt seems stunted. He only will consistently eat wax worms which I know isn't good.

I've tried putting some kale and strawberries in the cage but he doesn't seem to recognize them as food. So his eating has been a little concerning.

We recently started putting him in an outside cage for an hour or so at a time to get him more unfiltered sunlight. The last time we did it was very hot and maybe too bright? I'm wondering if the crack in his veil could be a result of a sort of sunburn?

So there are a few concerning Things going on with him, none of it seems too severe, but I'm thinking I will buy some liquid calcium to give a drop daily for a month and see if that improves things.

Advice or input on any of this is appreciated but I am mostly just wondering if anyone has seen this type of crack in the veil before and if I should take him to a vet.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.JPG
    IMG_5048.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_5051.JPG
    IMG_5051.JPG
    510 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_5052.JPG
    IMG_5052.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 362
IMG_5056.JPG
That is an infected wound my friend, you need to be taking him to an emergency vet right now. You can try to figure out how it happened after!

It looks like the body was taking care of it, i just checked back and the top had fallen off. There's nothing but pink new skin where it was. There's nothing woundish about it.

another thread I have seen said they had a similar situation and it was the body separating old decaying from the new? Maybe it was a wound at some point.

Do you think I should still take a vet visit just to see if I should be doing anything to care for the new skin?

IMG_5057.PNG

Either way, her still meds to be seen. There are still many possible outcomes, many of which can lead to death.

I would say take him to the vet as soon as possible. There is a high probability he needs some adjustments to his supplements as well as medication from the vet.

Also fill out this form and we can see if there are any issues that we can help on. This won't replace the vet visit though but may help.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Update: did take him to an emergency vet with an exotics department, they told me they had someone available with the ability to care for chams, but once there it didn't turn out to be that way.

Regular vet helped with some counseling from her exotics team, gave him some fluid injections (dehydration was part of the issue) and calcium, along with liquid calcium to give orally at home and antibiotic injections for me to give him every 48hrs to ensure nothing goes wrong with the casque area. They also advised daily cleaning of that area with a weak betadine tea.

Never got to speak with any exotics people directly but the regular vet said they were curious about if the casque issue was he result of a burn. I think that is the most likely cause as the last time we took him out for some unfiltered sunlight it was very strong. His lights in his cage are far enough away and he doesn't go up to the ceiling of the cage much at all.

Going to do the antibiotics and calcium and make some adjustments to his environment to be more precise about the humidity levels. He has a little dripper system but I learned it wasn't coming out fast enough for him to be stimulated to drink from it.

Planning to make a follow up appointment in a week with a vet who has more experience with chameleons specifically. Wish they were clearer with me before, but I think the visit was a good step towards helping him feel better and I didn't want to wait till Monday to help if I could. He seems to be doing fine, the techs and vets in the exotics department didn't seem extraordinary worried about his state but I'm going to be keeping a close eye and make sure to improve his supplementation.

Definitely want to get a professional's eye on his skeletal and see if the bumps you all mentioned are of significance.

Will post another update if you all want to see his progress.

So you think sunlight did that to his casque?
Potentially, in combination with some less than ideal conditions of his environment that I am remedying.

I have seen a couple of other threads involving similar casque issues as a result of sunburn (as concluded by their vets).

I know the internet is full of miscommunication potential, but I'd appreciate a less sarcastic tone. I'm just trying to figure out how to best do right by my chameleon and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

If the lights are a far as you say they are, that may be part of the calcium problem. Just a couple inches can decrease UVB exposure dramatically.

Potentially, in combination with some less than ideal conditions of his environment that I am remedying.

I have seen a couple of other threads involving similar casque issues as a result of sunburn (as concluded by their vets).

I know the internet is full of miscommunication potential, but I'd appreciate a less sarcastic tone. I'm just trying to figure out how to best do right by my chameleon and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.
Usually, that I have seen, casque issues having to do with burns just turn a more grey color. I don't think I have heard of part of the casque falling off.

And what would these “less than ideal conditions” be?

Update: did take him to an emergency vet with an exotics department, they told me they had someone available with the ability to care for chams, but once there it didn't turn out to be that way.

Regular vet helped with some counseling from her exotics team, gave him some fluid injections (dehydration was part of the issue) and calcium, along with liquid calcium to give orally at home and antibiotic injections for me to give him every 48hrs to ensure nothing goes wrong with the casque area. They also advised daily cleaning of that area with a weak betadine tea.

Never got to speak with any exotics people directly but the regular vet said they were curious about if the casque issue was he result of a burn. I think that is the most likely cause as the last time we took him out for some unfiltered sunlight it was very strong. His lights in his cage are far enough away and he doesn't go up to the ceiling of the cage much at all.

Going to do the antibiotics and calcium and make some adjustments to his environment to be more precise about the humidity levels. He has a little dripper system but I learned it wasn't coming out fast enough for him to be stimulated to drink from it.

Planning to make a follow up appointment in a week with a vet who has more experience with chameleons specifically. Wish they were clearer with me before, but I think the visit was a good step towards helping him feel better and I didn't want to wait till Monday to help if I could. He seems to be doing fine, the techs and vets in the exotics department didn't seem extraordinary worried about his state but I'm going to be keeping a close eye and make sure to improve his supplementation.

Definitely want to get a professional's eye on his skeletal and see if the bumps you all mentioned are of significance.

Will post another update if you all want to see his progress.
Extraordinary! Kudos to you!

To me, the issue with the casque looks more like an old abcess. Could have come from anything! I think you have shown true caring and concern for your animal's well being, and as long as you heed the advice given to you (especially from your vet), i think your cham will recover and do fine.

Back
Top Bottom