Coupla Plant Questions...

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Reminders:
  • Enclosure is 48"W x 24"D x 48"H (nom.) hybrid
  • Tenant to be will be a male panther chameleon.
  • We are NOT doing bioactive—turns out we both like bare bottoms... :rolleyes: :LOL:
After transplanting, providing drainage, & washing all the leaves of the fancy-schmancy* chameleon-safe plants that we maxed out the credit card for, the Missus still has a coupla questions (She knows plants, but is familiarizing herself with "chameleon rules." o_O ) We have plenty of river pebbles for covering the pots. ?
  1. The Rubber Plant(s) (ficus elastica) and Dwarf Umbrella (Schefflera arboricola) both have like a half dozen plants (stems/stalks) in their pots. Should these be split or thinned (and if so, how many in each 8" pot) or do they like their roots "friendly" (crowded)? :unsure:

2. What kind(s) of plant food/fertilizer are folks here using. I tried the archives, but only found 2 threads of limited help.

*Overpriced—IDK if I'll ever recover from this sticker-shock! :eek:

So I have not split roots on either of those plants. I have done pothos a lot and they totally handle it. I would google to pull more info on the two you have.

Per the fertilizer you really don't need to if you use a quality organic soil. The last one I got was the Foxfarm happy frog. I have seen tremendous growth with this one. And the odor is barely noticeable. I did put a 1 inch drainage layer in the bottom of the hydro balls.

Ficus like their roots snug in their pot and tend to suffer when their roots are messed with. Rubber trees in particular tend to be planted in groups because they just grow straight up without branching, and look goofy on their own! If it's an older established bunch, I'd avoid separating them.

Scheffleras are pretty forgiving so that one should be fine to divide, especially if it's young. I'd plant it in groups of 3 so they support each other while rooting in ?

Houseplants don't typically need fertilizer, but chameleon poop is good for that ?

Per the fertilizer you really don't need to if you use a quality organic soil. The last one I got was the Foxfarm happy frog. I have seen tremendous growth with this one. And the odor is barely noticeable. I did put a 1 inch drainage layer in the bottom of the hydro balls.
Sounds fam... hold da phone...

Yup, that's what she got. ?

I guess this afternoon is potting soil baking day... :LOL:

Ficus like their roots snug in their pot and tend to suffer when their roots are messed with. Rubber trees in particular tend to be planted in groups because they just grow straight up without branching, and look goofy on their own! If it's an older established bunch, I'd avoid separating them.

Scheffleras are pretty forgiving so that one should be fine to divide, especially if it's young. I'd plant it in groups of 3 so they support each other while rooting in ?

Houseplants don't typically need fertilizer, but chameleon poop is good for that ?
Fortunately, the centerpiece ficus (braided trunk) doesn't need to be messed with. :)

I haven't had a rubber tree since the lone single I took to college in the cold, cold North (Yeah, it did look kinda goofy.) It died during Holiday break—presumably from my roommate taking care of it for me. He walked it home 2 miles in -20F. Needless to say, it froze... :eek:

Chamanure... not crazy about that idea, but I think there's enuff here to get hr started or pointed in the right direction... :unsure:

Tanx agin' peeplezes!

The last [fertilizer] I got was the Foxfarm happy frog.
Missus just came in—dejected. She said the FoxFarm Happy Frog contains perlite. ?
Screwit. We looked at each other and said in unison, "Cover it with stones."

I shoulda known when I came down with that migraine first thing in the morning—it was gonna be one of those days... :banghead:

I like to break up schefflera in the cages. I think it looks more natural and foresty with them spread out. I’d keep them in - just maybe divide it up over 2-3 pots instead of one big clump. Whne they are happy, they will grow quite tall.

I only use chameleom and bug poop (esp worm poop) as fertilizer in my setups. Seaweed and fish imulsion mixes work fantastic, and are safe. Theyre a little smelly the first day but then fine.

I like to break up schefflera in the cages. I think it looks more natural and foresty with them spread out. I’d keep them in - just maybe divide it up over 2-3 pots instead of one big clump. Whne they are happy, they will grow quite tall.
I like schefflera too. I have one 5ft tall one as a free range tree and one in Jaspers cage. The only problem is that if it grows tall enough it blocks out the lights so I have to trim it

I like schefflera too. I have one 5ft tall one as a free range tree and one in Jaspers cage. The only problem is that if it grows tall enough it blocks out the lights so I have to trim it

I have a few really tall, wonky branches for a free range, too. Its not the prettiest foliage (imo) but you cant beat the stems and growth!

Im thinking of trying to air layer roots on the taller stems so when i trim it, I have a new plant!

Missus just came in—dejected. She said the FoxFarm Happy Frog contains perlite. ?
Screwit. We looked at each other and said in unison, "Cover it with stones."

I shoulda known when I came down with that migraine first thing in the morning—it was gonna be one of those days... :banghead:
Does not matter if you are covering the top with stones... I have Veileds and they stay out of it completely.

Back
Top Bottom