counteracting MBD

drcrossfire

Avid Member
I was recently asked to board a chameleon of an acquaintence that I don't really know I didn't have time to assess the chameleon before they left as it was night time... Upon assessment... The chameleon is clearly suffering from MBD.

Type: veiled
Age. 5/6 months
Symptoms. Shakey movement, general clumsiness, grabbing it's own legs, crooked :caske, bowed legs

They are gone for 2 weeks and unable to be contacted.I am taking it outside for direct sunlight and have been rotating between repashy calcium plus and regular calcium without d3. I've been gutloading with mustard greens, turnip greens, red peppers and carrots.

Basking spot: 85/89
Ambient: 76/78
Uvb: reptisun 5.0

Any suggestions about what else to do would be appreciated. Everything above is how I have him now... Not how they had him. I'm hoping this will start to counter their.damage.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
I would change the uv bulb for a 10.0. I think they should all be kept with one anyway whether they have MBD or not.

You can give it a liquid calcium gluconate or calcium sandoz. Liquid calciums are supposed to be absorbed more easily.

You can give it a liquid calcium gluconate or calcium sandoz. Liquid calciums are supposed to be absorbed more easily.

I agree. I know you're limited due to this not being your animal. But If you have it, try it.

Also can you include silkworms in its diet? They have an enzyme (serrapeptase) that may assist with calcium absorption

As well, prey that is naturally high in calcium like butterworms, snails and other prey that help with calcium.

Make sure there is also sufficient magnesium in the diet (repashy has it, dunno about your other)

Back
Top Bottom